mtbr member

Snapped the large cog on my new XT cassette today

Ive been using SRAM cassettes and decided to try an XT because of the 30-34 tooth combo as opposed to the SRAM 28-34 tooth "jump". I've had it on for about two months now. Today, I was going up a switchback climb, I turned the second switchback and TWANG!!! the large cog snapped and bent into the spokes. I've heard of it happening a few times on the forums. It bent a couple of spokes on my crossmax's. Looks like its back to SRAM!! Just another reason to stay anti-shimano.

Veni Vidi Vici
    Total bummer Ive been using XT cogs with out issues, but thanks for the info, so now I will keep close watch of my cogs.

Trying a little
    gotta post a pic. I'd really like to see the cogs into the spokes.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    gotta post a pic. I'd really like to see the cogs into the spokes.
    yeah, you can't post and whinge without a damage piccie

Siddartha Gautama
    Quote Originally Posted by barelylegal
    Total bummer Ive been using XT cogs with out issues, but thanks for the info, so now I will keep close watch of my cogs.
    WOW! I've been usin' dem too. I better keep n eye on dem cause dey could be defectiv?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    been using xtr and xt cassettes for years without an issue. Def need a pic will keep an eye on mine though, as just had some new wheels built.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dareverend
    been using xtr and xt cassettes for years without an issue. Def need a pic will keep an eye on mine though, as just had some new wheels built.
    did you say wheels ?~?

Titus Forum Guideline No 18 stipulates that all new items must be photographed using neat clear unfuzzy quality photos unlike Blackey photos, with full technical disclosure of the build, itemised, and weighed and posted without haste.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    Ive been using SRAM cassettes and decided to try an XT because of the 30-34 tooth combo as opposed to the SRAM 28-34 tooth "jump". I've had it on for about two months now. Today, I was going up a switchback climb, I turned the second switchback and TWANG!!! the large cog snapped and bent into the spokes. I've heard of it happening a few times on the forums. It bent a couple of spokes on my crossmax's. Looks like its back to SRAM!! Just another reason to stay anti-shimano.
    wow.. you must be really putting down the power.. I have never bent one myself (too lousy climber )

BTW, supposedly the 07 SRAM cassettes don't have the "jump" anymore... so you might want to check that out... http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/sram/...MTB_MY07_E.pdf

sram cassettes

Sexy Mother Fakir
    I've had that happen...4th gear went bye bye
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Here is a picture

I already pulled it off the bike and replaced the spokes, but here is a picture. I did just buy a SRAM 980 (990 looked a little fragile) and they dont have the jump this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    I already pulled it off the bike and replaced the spokes, but here is a picture. I did just buy a SRAM 980 (990 looked a little fragile) and they dont have the jump this year.
    I can only say OUCH!!

I had read good things on Shimano cassettes and otherwise from SRAM's ... but now I don't know.

Oh, well... I'm on crapola SRAM now, so... I'll let you know, but my whimpy 145 pounds could hardly put any stress on paper cogsets.
    Check my Site