Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: craigstr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,326

    Snapped the large cog on my new XT cassette today

    Ive been using SRAM cassettes and decided to try an XT because of the 30-34 tooth combo as opposed to the SRAM 28-34 tooth "jump". I've had it on for about two months now. Today, I was going up a switchback climb, I turned the second switchback and TWANG!!! the large cog snapped and bent into the spokes. I've heard of it happening a few times on the forums. It bent a couple of spokes on my crossmax's. Looks like its back to SRAM!! Just another reason to stay anti-shimano.

  2. #2
    Veni Vidi Vici
    Reputation: barelylegal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    995
    Total bummer Ive been using XT cogs with out issues, but thanks for the info, so now I will keep close watch of my cogs.

  3. #3
    Trying a little
    Reputation: dusthuffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,782
    gotta post a pic. I'd really like to see the cogs into the spokes.

    I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    gotta post a pic. I'd really like to see the cogs into the spokes.
    yeah, you can't post and whinge without a damage piccie

  5. #5
    Siddartha Gautama
    Reputation: Ski-U-Mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by barelylegal
    Total bummer Ive been using XT cogs with out issues, but thanks for the info, so now I will keep close watch of my cogs.
    WOW! I've been usin' dem too. I better keep n eye on dem cause dey could be defectiv?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    124
    been using xtr and xt cassettes for years without an issue. Def need a pic will keep an eye on mine though, as just had some new wheels built.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    Quote Originally Posted by dareverend
    been using xtr and xt cassettes for years without an issue. Def need a pic will keep an eye on mine though, as just had some new wheels built.
    did you say wheels ?~?

    Titus Forum Guideline No 18 stipulates that all new items must be photographed using neat clear unfuzzy quality photos unlike Blackey photos, with full technical disclosure of the build, itemised, and weighed and posted without haste.

  8. #8
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,761
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    Ive been using SRAM cassettes and decided to try an XT because of the 30-34 tooth combo as opposed to the SRAM 28-34 tooth "jump". I've had it on for about two months now. Today, I was going up a switchback climb, I turned the second switchback and TWANG!!! the large cog snapped and bent into the spokes. I've heard of it happening a few times on the forums. It bent a couple of spokes on my crossmax's. Looks like its back to SRAM!! Just another reason to stay anti-shimano.
    wow.. you must be really putting down the power.. I have never bent one myself (too lousy climber )

    BTW, supposedly the 07 SRAM cassettes don't have the "jump" anymore... so you might want to check that out... http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/sram/...MTB_MY07_E.pdf

    sram cassettes

  9. #9
    Sexy Mother Fakir
    Reputation: Electric Vindaloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    98
    I've had that happen...4th gear went bye bye
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: craigstr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,326

    Here is a picture

    I already pulled it off the bike and replaced the spokes, but here is a picture. I did just buy a SRAM 980 (990 looked a little fragile) and they dont have the jump this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #11
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,690
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    I already pulled it off the bike and replaced the spokes, but here is a picture. I did just buy a SRAM 980 (990 looked a little fragile) and they dont have the jump this year.
    I can only say OUCH!!

    I had read good things on Shimano cassettes and otherwise from SRAM's ... but now I don't know.

    Oh, well... I'm on crapola SRAM now, so... I'll let you know, but my whimpy 145 pounds could hardly put any stress on paper cogsets.
    Check my Site

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •