Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    MC MasterShake

Upset Snap goes the Moto...

I was riding along doing a fairly mellow ride when all of a sudden Wham! my top tube sheers right off. No drops, no big hits, nothing crazy at all. Hopefully Hammerhead/Titus will pull through for me again. I'm waiting to hear back.

I have a bunch of rides that are coming up soon too, aaaargh!.
    Last edited by woodyak; 05-30-2007 at 03:19 PM.

So is your face
    Holy crap! That sucks! That is one nasty break. I hope you're ok. I can't imagine you landed to well when that happened.

Titus shouldn't have any questions about replacing that puppy, I wouldn't think. That is, unless your idea of a mellow ride includes 12 foot drops in succession.
    IT'S NOT THE FALL THAT HURTS. IT'S WHEN YOU HIT THE GROUND.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    I was riding along doing a fairly mellow ride when all of a sudden Wham! my top tube sheers right off. No drops, no big hits, nothing crazy at all. Hopefully Hammerhead/Titus will pull through for me again. I'm waiting to hear back.

I have a bunch of rides that are coming up soon too, aaaargh!.
    Ouch... sorry to hear (and see at)....

Best of lucks with the replacement, I'm positive you'll be sorted out.
    Check my Site

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    holy crap!

I hope it wasn't a nasty fall (when it snapped) ... and hope Titus hooks you up fast....
    Last edited by crisillo; 05-30-2007 at 01:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    sheesh. that's a mess. hope yer OK. sorry to hear about that.

MC MasterShake
    I turned out fine. Luckily I was just cruising along on a flat stretch when I was thrown. I did get a small gash in my leg where the top tube cut me and my wrist is a bit tweaked but I've done worse than that on my own.

Mellow means mellow. Fast singletrack and rocky fireroads. I did a 40 mile road ride yesterday afternoon and played ultimate frisbee for 2 hours last night so this ride was just to spin my legs out.

I'm not overly concerned about IF they'll take care of me. I'm just concerned about the WHEN. It's prime riding season and I'm stuck on my road bike until this gets fixed...

the 36 year old grom
    yo FM.... you said this would never happen!!!!!!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    yo FM.... you said this would never happen!!!!!!
    Bummer woodyak! This after your chainstay, I think it's time for a beefier frame.

I don't recall saying never.. just that I had put the motolite to the test and it's been very impressive with it's durability.

Keep us posted. I think Titus should offer you a super-bro deal on a guapo (i.e. difference between retail prices)

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

ANOTHER JRA from a friend of a shop?????

Sounds peculiar to me? I've seen so many cool shots from all the MTBR members on their cross-country/trail bikes and never a sheared off head tube where the rider didn't admit to some RedBull Rampage like huck fest.
    Looks like it was driven into a garage, at least thats what my frame looked like when I forgot it was up there.
    I don't know the the specifics but a break like that on a new bike, looks more like abuse than defect form manufacturing.

I'm no expert, and don't claim to be but I'll tell you if I was a manufacturer of any thing and I saw pictures repeatedly posted on any public forum before I resolved whatever the situation was I'd tell the poster to piss up a rope.

Defect or not someone just poured bong water in my kool-aid and took the least proffessional or cordial approach to getting resolution.
    Just my 2 cents, and that aint worth nothing.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by DayDrinker
    Sounds peculiar to me? I've seen so many cool shots from all the MTBR members on their cross-country/trail bikes and never a sheared off head tube where the rider didn't admit to some RedBull Rampage like huck fest.
    Looks like it was driven into a garage, at least thats what my frame looked like when I forgot it was up there.
    I don't know the the specifics but a break like that on a new bike, looks more like abuse than defect form manufacturing.

I'm no expert, and don't claim to be but I'll tell you if I was a manufacturer of any thing and I saw pictures repeatedly posted on any public forum before I resolved whatever the situation was I'd tell the poster to piss up a rope.

Defect or not someone just poured bong water in my kool-aid and took the least proffessional or cordial approach to getting resolution.
    Well I don't know what to tell you. I'm just as surprised by this as anyone. I can assure you that my garage has so much crap in it that I couldn't fit my car in there if I wanted If I broke this off a huge huck I'd be getting what I deserved (and it would be a much cooler story). I've had this frame for about a year and it's taken a ton of abuse. The fact that it collapsed for no good reason tells me that there was some stress cracks building up that could not be seen from the outside or something along those lines.

My intent of this post wasn't to bash Titus or to twist any arms for a better resolution. I'm going through the proper channels and things are progressing to my satisfaction so far. I have complete faith that Titus will do me right. I am concerned about how quickly I'll get a resolution but I'm sure they'll work something out. I went through the whole LocoMoto debacle with them a few years back and they always took care of me. The reason I posted was simply to show the carnage. Stuff breaks, it's just a bummer it happened to me.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by DayDrinker

Honestly, I totally agree with this. Regardless of brand or why the bike broke, not posting snuff pics on the web is sort of "doing a favor" to the MFG, which they might consider when it comes time to make a decision about free frame vs. crash replacement or even no dice.

That's just my opinion, having worked in the bike industry for a few years when I was younger.

Another thought: I ride with lots of guys who do 8'+er's on giant reigns, and a few that go 12'+ on nomads with 5" forks, all with no problems. My motolite has seen over a year of constant abuse and is going strong. But, everything up here has a tranny, and none of these guys are heavier dudes. Heavier guys and drops to flat put a lot of stress on bikes, and that blurs the lines around intended use and warranty. I look at stuff in the SW (Like the porcupine rim drop that broke that switchblade) and shake my head- thats bike abuse.

Woodyak, I have no reason to believe you aren't a smooth rider or a light guy. Defective workmanship is always a possibility, even on high-end frames. Just putting my thoughts out, again my opinions are based on having worked for a shop that made frames, and yeah sometimes the light ones broke.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hey Woodyak, didn't your AM1 snap a few months back? Might be realted. Just a thought.

banned
    The fracture right across the gusset is incredible.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by orthorex
    Hey Woodyak, didn't your AM1 snap a few months back? Might be realted. Just a thought.
    Yeah, it did. I also broke a seatstay on that frame.I've been playing with the suspension trying to make sure that's not bottoming out. The funny thing is that I'm not busting tubes or bending rims. If I was real abusive you'd think that'd be the first sign.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I get the point of the post I just hate seeing the forums blasted with good products looking like nuclear fall-out. I realize there are a lot of positive posts of builds and documented rides with all the glamour shots. But, this is one of those JRA's stories that will go down in shop folklore. A five inch travel trail bike sending you to the ground while cruising along.
    I hope it all works out, I saw somewhere that someone built a 29lb Supermoto, this is one maybe that will hold up better than the Locomoto's and recently departed Motolite.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Honestly, I totally agree with this. Regardless of brand or why the bike broke, not posting snuff pics on the web is sort of "doing a favor" to the MFG, which they might consider when it comes time to make a decision about free frame vs. crash replacement or even no dice.
    I see your point. I probably should've waited at least until I got resolution. Again I'm not trying to smear Titus what so ever here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM

:
    I was thinking the same thing. Why post a pic when it is easier just to call Titus.

MC MasterShake
    I hear you. I probably should have at least waited for resolution so that I had something positive to say when I posted the pics. I'm not familiar with the JRA story.

I'm going to ask about going for the El Guapo. I think the SM would be a bit too much for me. I couldn't imagine trying to work one of those in a 24hour race. I had a Quasi before the ML and I'm kicking myself that I didn't stick with it.

MC MasterShake
    I've asked the moderator to pull the pics for me. It was inappropriate of me to post them.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Wow. A ML with a snapped seat stay, sheared off head tube, AND an AM1 broken in half. All within a couple months. Crazy.

MC MasterShake
    Wow! A ML with a snapped seat stay, sheared off head tube, AND an AM1 broken in half. All within a couple months. Crazy.
    I know. I wish my riding was as impressive as my breakage. I break stuff all the time but nothing like this. Last year I couldn't keep a Der. Hangar straight or my drivetrain running. This year it's the major crap.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I've asked the moderator to pull the pics for me. It was inappropriate of me to post them.
    Thats a nice gesture of you.

I think it's a courtesy thing, not a real big deal.... but good on you.

I may be shopping as well. I LOVED the motolite on my vacation, but here at home, we have lost 2-3 of my favorite XC rides to storm damage last winter, plus the local trails we helped build are definitely 6"+ bike terrain. Things have changed since I bought the motolite....

I have to say, if Titus oiffered you a guapo, even a a really good deal, I think that would be good service of them. Years ago I had a similar situation with santa cruz, I kept breaking superlights (this was like 2002?) but they wouldn't trade me into a heckler even when I offered to pay wholesale cost. Weird!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I know. I wish my riding was as impressive as my breakage. I break stuff all the time but nothing like this. Last year I couldn't keep a Der. Hangar straight or my drivetrain running. This year it's the major crap.
    Aluminium has a long memory, it is not forgiving. My first thought is that the event that snapped the fork, fatally damaged the frame.

MC MasterShake
    It's the right thing to do. They've always treated me right and I could see how my post could be taken out of context.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the EG at this point. I really love how fast and nimble the ML is but I just break stuff too easily. I'm just hoping the wait won't be ridiculous. You can only put so many miles on the road before the voices start getting to you

MC MasterShake
    Aluminium has a long memory, it is not forgiving. My first thought is that the event that snapped the fork, fatally damaged the frame.
    Hadn't thought of that. That could easily be it.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast