Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Small RX and X-Gen, 2.3 tires

562 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  TiEndo 
#1 ·
I am mid-build on my rx and I have two problems. I was planning on using a SRAM X-Gen front deraileur and the weld for the cross link seems to prevent it from being mounted in the right place so that it will clear the big chain ring. Is this a known problem, or am I missing something really obvious?

The second is that I am running tubeless and the lbs recommended Geax 2.3 (which they said runs pretty small, like a 2.17), which do fit but barely. I am thinking of trying to take it back for a 2.1, but am not sure they will take it back after it is mounted and Stan'd. Has anyone run this large a tire on a 2005 RX. It is pretty tight, but I probably have 3/8th inch clearance from the chain stays. I would prefer to not have chain stay rubbing and just deal with it now. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Small R-X with a 2.3 rear tire seems kinda silly to me; I'd run a 2.0 or 2.1 on it. Seems a lot more in line with the whole lightweight cross country racer idea (without being ridiculous and mounting a 1.6 or something).

As far as whether tires run big or small, that's open to a lot of guesswork. I've got Geax Sturdy 2.25's and they are just the slightest hair narrower than Nevegal 2.35's, which are supposed to be big and burly for a 2.35, and they're slightly wider than some WTB and Conti 2.4's I've compared them to.

#3 · (Edited)
Think the front derailler is a known issue, thought I saw it on this board before and can't say I've ever seen anyone spec and X-gen on thier R-X's. Can't say much else as I've always leaned towards Shimano front deraillers.

I'm running Nobbie Nics that are 2.1's on the rear and 2.25 on the front and they seem fine so far, but I may switch to a 2.1 on the front when it gets wet and muddy in the fall.

Good Luck and post some pics of the build when done!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.