mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Should I stick to the "tried and tested" or the "new and beautiful"

Been thinking long and hard about changing my Turner TNT Flux frame. Recently I bought a Titus X aluminum for my son and tried it. And I liked the very fast acceleration on the flats and the uphill. So now I'm in a dilemma of either upgrading to a Titus X Carbon or retaining my Turner Flux TNT. I am a bit on the heavy side (200lbs + gear) thats why im a bit apprehensive on buying the Titus Carbon X due to its rear carbon . I am affraid that constant pounding of my heavy weight will be too much for the rear end. My Turner Flux had been my faithful companion for the past 3 years and have never even a single time turn me down. But the Titus Carbon X is just too sexy

photo courtesy of robinfisk (MTBR member) at Titus forum

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by magixuser View Post
    Been thinking long and hard about changing my Turner TNT Flux frame. Recently I bought a Titus X aluminum for my son and tried it. And I liked the very fast acceleration on the flats and the uphill. So now I'm in a dilemma of either upgrading to a Titus X Carbon or retaining my Turner Flux TNT. I am a bit on the heavy side (200lbs + gear) thats why im a bit apprehensive on buying the Titus Carbon X due to its rear carbon . I am affraid that constant pounding of my heavy weight will be too much for the rear end. My Turner Flux had been my faithful companion for the past 3 years and have never even a single time turn me down. But the Titus Carbon X is just too sexy

photo courtesy of robinfisk (MTBR member) at Titus forum
    The full carbon rearends have been very reliable for us.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The full carbon rearends have been very reliable for us.
    Thanks shiggy for the fast reply, another question in my mind is the sizing of the carbon X. I tried the TitusX aluminum in small size and feel comfortable
    with it. I'm about 5'10" with 30" inseam. Is the small size good or the medium size better for me. I'm riding a Turner Flux in medium and the center to top is 17" instead of the Titus X medium in which the center to top is about 18.25". I see that the TitusX small size has a center to top of 17" which is similar to Turner's medium size. Another is the standover height for the TitusX small and medium is 28.7 and 29.75, respectively. And having an inseam of 30" is cutting it too close and with an additional 20mm in front (I plan on putting a 120mm fork) the standover height will be even more.

Thanks shiggy for the fast reply, another question in my mind is the sizing of the carbon X. I tried the TitusX aluminum in small size and feel comfortable
    with it. I'm about 5'10" with 30" inseam. Is the small size good or the medium size better for me. I'm riding a Turner Flux in medium and the center to top is 17" instead of the Titus X medium in which the center to top is about 18.25". I see that the TitusX small size has a center to top of 17" which is similar to Turner's medium size. Another is the standover height for the TitusX small and medium is 28.7 and 29.75, respectively. And having an inseam of 30" is cutting it too close and with an additional 20mm in front (I plan on putting a 120mm fork) the standover height will be even more.
    Seat tube length and stand over height are poor measures of frame fit. Compare the effective top tube lengths. More important to be comfortable while riding the bike.

There are no geometry differences between the alloy X and carbon X.
    mtbtires.com

Hueston Woods Trail Crew
    120-140mm is better suited to the FTM. If you're not a fast rider or racer, you might want to focus on the FTM.
    I like to measure your current bike crank bolt to saddle rail to see how much seatpost is exposed. Quick and easy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob.com View Post
    120-140mm is better suited to the FTM. If you're not a fast rider or racer, you might want to focus on the FTM.
    I like to measure your current bike crank bolt to saddle rail to see how much seatpost is exposed. Quick and easy.

Great to hear that FTM's can accept 120mm fork, my original plan was really an FTM carbon but I only have a 120mm fork thats why I went for an alternative and go for the TitusX

Great to hear that FTM's can accept 120mm fork, my original plan was really an FTM carbon but I only have a 120mm fork thats why I went for an alternative and go for the TitusX
    I have a 95-140 adjustable travel fork on a Carbon FTM. Run it at 120 most of the time.
    mtbtires.com

At Work
    I have an F120 on my FTM and it is perfect.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I agree, my FTM rides beautiful at 120mm on my 100-140mm Talas.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I have a 95-140 adjustable travel fork on a Carbon FTM. Run it at 120 most of the time.
    What are the major differences between riding it at 120 and 140 that you find? I have an FTM frame I just picked up but am unsure what size to run on it. I have a smoking deal on a 120 with a straight steerer/20mm or I could pay another $100 and get a 140 Revelation with 15mm.