Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

should I change to Truvative NOIR?

More then a month ago I finished building my ML2.
    I decided to go with the XT crankset because almost everybody use it.
    A week ago I saw for the first time the Truvative Noir crankset and I just can't stop thinking about it.

What do you say, should I change to the Noir?
    Is it that much better then the XT?
    Anybody even tried the Noir?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I don't anything about them but d*%m they look hawt!

mtbr member
    You said youve got XT crank for several months. If it is still n good shape, go ebay it (or donate it)
    If not, use it till it drops. It is a great crank, good looking & stiff, but the chainrings wear out easier than FSA or Raceface, tho
    But life is too short to think abt things u really want in this world.
    Isnt it good advice?

mtbr member
    I rock the Noirs with the hardened chain rings. They look sharp. When I discovered I had a bent spider on my hardtail, I ordered a second pair.

K n e e m o i
    Is it worth it? I don't think so. If you had a lowend crankset, maybe, but XT is good. You won't notice any difference with noir.

So go for it if you just want to spend it based on the "bling" factor, and maybe longer chainring life....
    "Prison sports are really fun. I get used as a frisbee, a dartboard, and a second base!" - Kneemoi

Drop in?... Anyone?

Xt versue Noir

I've have the Xt and they were plenty stiff (and now on my wife's Trance)... just a bit heavier. I think the turely quanifiable difference is the Noir with BB sheds like 60g (if that is important)... and the price.

The rings on the Noir are surely harder and look nicer (longer lasting... in theory, but I don't know yet). The Shimano rings are famous for their shifting smoothness. I don't really notice a differrence. The Noir shift very well for me... so did the Xt. Draw... but, the shimano has the reputation and design advantage for the rings.

The Shimano BB was not good by my experience. It was not so smooth in dusty terrian or when it was muddy... by my experience anyways... I did notice it... and one shimano BB of mine seized up within three months (maybe it was defective... I didn't pursue it). I'm sure they work well overall.

I then switched from the Xt to the stylo with the giga pipe... and the BB was very smooth compared to the shimano BB.... over the course of one colorado season including winter. I suppose that I developed some "faith" in the Truvativ BBs due to this.

On my RX, I elected to go with the Noir... the BB is VERY smooth as I expected... the crank arms seem very durable after a month or so of rocky single track and bagging many rocks... (they clean up very well too, BTW). They are certainly stiff, so I don't feel like I am loosing any power transfer... I have a good feeling they will last many years of hard riding...

the Noir seemed like a good compromise when I conidered the cost of the 2007 XTR (which I believe most would agree are the best when factoring weight, shifting and stiffness).

I have no regrets... they look good too... and are not one every bike (again, if that's important). I saw them on sale at Colorado Cyclist for 389.00 (seems like a pretty good price I guess).

They're both very good though... and in the end... if weight is high on the list (you have a Racer X right?)... then go with Noir and spend some extra money... otherwise, the only advantage I can see (from my personal experience) is the BB... the Giga Pipe. Maybe this helped???

Drop in?... Anyone?

yea.. i caught it... you have an ML

sorry... nice frame though! Titus is excellent!

The Crow
    In last month's mbr crank group test they weren't too impressed with it. XTR came out tops. It's lighter,stronger and cheaper than the Truvativ.
    Truvativ: UKP320 820g
    Cranks: 8/10
    Rings: 9/10
    BB: 6/10
    Value: 6/10
    Overall: 7/10
    Notes: Good looking and great rings, but high price and shortlived BB
    Shimano: UKP260, 767g
    Cranks: 10/10
    BB: 8/10
    Value: 8/10
    Overall: 9/10
    Superlight, stiff, and so far impressively durable, all at a fair price.

Other crank that faired well was Middleburn's RS7 with Shimano UN-72 BB.
    Middleburn: UKP250 898g
    Cranks: 9/10
    BB: 9/10
    Vaue: 8/10
    Overall: 9/10
    Tough, versatile, great rings and the best BB ever.

And...just so you can compare...
    Shimano XT: UKP125 872g
    Cranks: 9/10
    Rings: 7/10
    BB: 7/10
    Value: 9/10
    Overall: 8/10
    Average BB and rings, but these XT cranks are superb

Hope that helps...

ಠ_ಠ
    I think that beautiful black finish would look like rubbish after a few proper all-mountain thrashings. Nice thing about the XT's is that they stay pretty new looking even after years of abuse.

German Mountain Bike Magazine rated the XT cranks their highest (rare) 5 star rating a few years ago.

Veni Vidi Vici
    are you referring to the 08 XT? if yes the new xt is really Hawt!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    I think that beautiful black finish would look like rubbish after a few proper all-mountain thrashings. Nice thing about the XT's is that they stay pretty new looking even after years of abuse.

German Mountain Bike Magazine rated the XT cranks their highest (rare) 5 star rating a few years ago.

Just saw a set of Noirs on a bike at a race on Sat. Owner claimed he's had them since mid June. They looked quite worn ala previous generation XTR. The dude rode light XC only and even then mainly on double track. I was previously thinking of getting a set of Noirs. Glad I saw this guys cranks. IF I decide to upgrade from my Stylos, I'll save my pennies for XTR's.

cheers,
    simp

club très grand de VTT
    Quote Originally Posted by simplton
    Just saw a set of Noirs on a bike at a race on Sat. Owner claimed he's had them since mid June. They looked quite worn ala previous generation XTR. The dude rode light XC only and even then mainly on double track. I was previously thinking of getting a set of Noirs. Glad I saw this guys cranks. IF I decide to upgrade from my Stylos, I'll save my pennies for XTR's.

cheers,
    simp
    Simp,

I second that - my stylos are beginning to move around on the BB a little now, but nothing I can't live with for now. 3 of my friends are now on the new XTR cranks, and they sure look good, even after a few months of abuse.

Cheers,

P.
    "There are no hills on this trail. It's all flat." - Scott TDF Roberts

Ride Everything
    Anyone know the q-factor on the Noir's?

not so super...
    The new XTR is light. I weighed mine this AM at 810g with the bottom bracket, all 3 spacers and a FSA poly-carb bash ring.
    Nothing to see here.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    The new XTR is light. I weighed mine this AM at 810g with the bottom bracket, all 3 spacers and a FSA poly-carb bash ring.
    That's sick light...

You run 2 rings, right?
    Check my Site

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    That's sick light...

You run 2 rings, right?
    Si.

middle ring on the XTR is Ti with carbon ramps. I use a FSA 32 tooth size Poly-carb bash ring.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    I weighed a set last night (175mm) with all three rings and BB and it came to 790. They are indeed lightweight.

I have a set of 177.5, I'm going to weight hopefully tonight. I'm hoping they aren't much more.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by soslow
    I weighed a set last night (175mm) with all three rings and BB and it came to 790. They are indeed lightweight.

I have a set of 177.5, I'm going to weight hopefully tonight. I'm hoping they aren't much more.
    Would you mind measuring the q-factor on yours?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark
    I can measure it tomorrow, no problem. Already came in for the night. I did weigh the other set. 794 grams for the XTR 177.5mm set.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    pardon me, but what is a q-factor ?~?

ಠ_ಠ
    the distance between the crank arms measured at the pedal inserts. From what I've read, Shimano XT are among the widest

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    thanks

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by soslow
    I can measure it tomorrow, no problem. Already came in for the night. I did weigh the other set. 794 grams for the XTR 177.5mm set.
    Cool. Much appreciated. I'm interested in the measurement for the Noirs, BTW (not sure if I made myself clear).

Here's a sampling of some Shimano cranks' q-factors:

Ride Everything
    Found a good deal on a set with TNT rings, but need to know the "Q" before I pull the trigger.

Anyone?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Found a good deal on a set with TNT rings, but need to know the "Q" before I pull the trigger.

Anyone?
    the rings have nothing to do with the Q factor.... just the crank/BB

for rings you need to know the BCD on your cranks...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast