Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sad day

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Bonking ... not feelin' well Sad day

Went to ride my ftm carbon today & found a crack in the top tube near shock mount.I sent an email to On One I am not sure what they will do.The frame is less than a year old & no crash to cause failure.It felt like the carbon in this spot is to thin as I can push in this spot very easy! I hope One One will help me with this problem I love this bike.

mtbr member

No good

shenanigans, pics or it hasn't happend.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Man that sucks. I wonder if it a real crack or just a surface line. Sometimes, with carbon frames, you get weird surface lines that are not real cracks, but can look like it. Post some pics and maybe we can help.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm new to this forum. I own and love my Titus bikes but if someone has a problem with there Titus u guys jump all over them. Where is the pics? What did u do wrong? Titus is having some quality problems with the new bikes. Hey terrible u need to change it to " fast with the mouth slow with the brain"!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSA1 View Post
    I'm new to this forum. I own and love my Titus bikes but if someone has a problem with there Titus u guys jump all over them. Where is the pics? What did u do wrong? Titus is having some quality problems with the new bikes. Hey terrible u need to change it to " fast with the mouth slow with the brain"!
    Would not say he was being too aggressive and I really hope I did not come off like that. Carbon bikes are different. What looks like a crack may not actually be a real crack. They are kinda funny looking and I have seen these lines on both carbon road bikes and mountain bikes. Posting some pics would help people on the forum help the OP, which is why he posted, I guess.

With that said, yes I think we all understand that Titus in its last year of existence (before the buy-out) had some issues...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sorry Vespasianus my reply was not at u.

mtbr member
    If your **** breaks, prove it. I know if I broke my 2500$ frame I'd be posting pics and asking if anyone else broke in the same spot I did.

Oh wait I did that. Broken carbon enduro SL

Once again, pics or it didn't happen.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

pics

Here are the pics of the crack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sad day-dsc02591.jpg  

Sad day-dsc02590.jpg  

Sad day-dsc02592.jpg  

mtbr member
    Pretty sure thats a real crack.

mtbr member
    hu hu, yeah that's not just paint!

here to make friends
    Looks like that bad boy got driven into a garage on a roof rack...you should PM Shiggy he can probably get you sorted...
    Last edited by Mr_Nice_Guy; 06-20-2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: oops misspelled shiggy's name again, freudian slip

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcrane01 View Post
    Here are the pics of the crack
    That is a bit of a crack I would say. Would be interesting to see what Titus says.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Have you contacted OnOne? They were very helpful with some rear stay issues I had on my 09 FTM. If you are the original owner that seems like a pretty obvious warranty issue.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hey Terrible there are the pics you wanted! See this is what I was talking about. Pics are provided and someone post that it was driven into a garage! I,m waiting for the next post. They must be 500lb?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSA1 View Post
    Hey Terrible there are the pics you wanted! See this is what I was talking about. Pics are provided and someone post that it was driven into a garage! I,m waiting for the next post. They must be 500lb?
    The original poster said this:

"Went to ride my ftm carbon today & found a crack in the top tube near shock mount.I sent an email to On One I am not sure what they will do.The frame is less than a year old & no crash to cause failure.It felt like the carbon in this spot is to thin as I can push in this spot very easy! I hope One One will help me with this problem I love this bike."

If you look at those pictures, it is not a small crack. I mean really, how could you miss that! It looks like someone hit the bike with a sledge hammer. The downtube looks like it has something as well. That type of compression damage generally occurs when running into a garage. Maybe I am wrong and the pictures are amplifying things, but this is why people are skeptical.

mtbr member
    Contrary to popular belief, carbon fiber can be repaired:

http://www.calfeedesign.com/repair/

http://www.roadrunnervelo.com/repairs.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    First I sit on the seat that's why I did not see the crack untill sitting in garage crack is on side of tube not the top.I carry it on the back of a truck supported by tires. The so called damage to downtube is dirt I do ride the bike & don't wash to look for cracks on a brand new bike every time I ride.You should also know I am 165lbs with gear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

They wont give you a replacement

My 08 ML titanium frame cracked and OneOne pointed me to Sam Davis welding for repairs "at OnOne Cost" -

They also offered me a new FTM carbon frame with rear shock for about $1000 ($850 for Aluminum)

They'll work with you but it wont be what you want to hear

Not all pain is gain...
    Of course it's impossible for the rest of us to know how this happened, but having seen several broken frames in my day I'd say that does not look like a photo of carbon frame that broke while "jra". I do hope that they can offer you a reasonable replacement option but I wouldn't expect a full on, no charge replacement....

Good luck..

mtbr member
    Just get it fixed. See my post above.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Gavin, for On One emailed me today that he sent pic's to titus in US waiting for them to respond. As for the JRA ? I have three titus bikes a racer x exogrid 2006 elguapo 2008 & this bike I ride them on same trails with no problems the elguapo is over kill for my riding styl but this bike has way less miles 500ish & failed at a spot that has a lot of load when braking if I ride in driveway & hit the brake crack opens up. I have done nothing wrong or different with this bike than my other bikes no other damage as others have said but just has a crack am I wrong to say this?Just stating a fact not saying titus sucks I love my other bikes & will for a very long time just looking for some consideration.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcrane01 View Post
    Gavin, for On One emailed me today that he sent pic's to titus in US waiting for them to respond. As for the JRA ? I have three titus bikes a racer x exogrid 2006 elguapo 2008 & this bike I ride them on same trails with no problems the elguapo is over kill for my riding styl but this bike has way less miles 500ish & failed at a spot that has a lot of load when braking if I ride in driveway & hit the brake crack opens up. I have done nothing wrong or different with this bike than my other bikes no other damage as others have said but just has a crack am I wrong to say this?Just stating a fact not saying titus sucks I love my other bikes & will for a very long time just looking for some consideration.
    Hopefully the can help and it would really suck if this frame was just defective and they could not replace it. I wonder if it was improperly laid. If so, could they look at the whole frame and determine this?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Hopefully the can help and it would really suck if this frame was just defective and they could not replace it. I wonder if it was improperly laid. If so, could they look at the whole frame and determine this?
    Thank you, I would love to send the frame & even the whole bike as is to titus to see what they think. Like I said before the carbon is real thin at the crack & can push in real easey but I don't know what it should feel like so can't say for sure maybe it's normal to be that thin just want a chance for experts to look and tell me what happened.

WP Local
    Del

WP Local
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Improperly laid.... HA!
    maybe it was just a l'il drunk...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast