Happy Trails

RX29 Size L Build Info (Plus Some Weight & Size Info)

I weighed my size Large 2008 RX29 frame on a high accuracy scale, and got 6.79 pounds.

I measured the top tube length and came up with a "short" 24.75" ... that's the Titus spec but I measured more like 24-3/8" (ie 24.4") from the center of the tip-top of the head tube to the center of the seat post. The seat tube height measured right on spec at 21.5" center of bottom bracket to tip-top of seat tube.

In case anyone is interested, I also used a precision inner-micrometer to gage the inner race of the head tube came up with some very consistent measurements:

Upper race: 1.3341" or 33.88mm
    Lower race: 1.3343" or 33.89mm
    (Park Tools website recommends reaming to 33.75-33.90mm)

I checked the flatness of the head tube top and bottom faces with gage blocks, and they are as flat as I could check visually.

I'm not nearly an expert bike mechanic (I'm not even a good mechanic, actually) but my layman's opinion is that a new Titus does not need facing and reaming before headset installation if they all check like this.

Happy trails, Scott
    Last edited by Scott In MD; 03-06-2009 at 08:27 PM.

Happy Trails
    I installed a Shimano 770 XT crank on my Titus. I'm stoked. BB width is 73mm, so this calls for one spacer on the drive side between the outboard bearing cup and the frame. I used BikerBob's tip about teflon tape on the BB threads.

Build photos at:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1422203019

Happy Trails

More progress on RX29 build...

Here's more progress on my RX29 build...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD
    I weighed my size Large 2008 RX29 frame on a high accuracy scale, and got 6.29 pounds.

I measured the top tube length and came up with a "short" 24.75" ... that's the Titus spec but I measured more like 24-3/8" (ie 24.4") from the center of the tip-top of the head tube to the center of the seat post. The seat tube height measured right on spec at 21.5" center of bottom bracket to tip-top of seat tube.

In case anyone is interested, I also used a precision inner-micrometer to gage the inner race of the head tube came up with some very consistent measurements:

I checked the flatness of the head tube top and bottom faces with gage blocks, and they are as flat as I could check visually.

I'm not nearly an expert bike mechanic (I'm not even a good mechanic, actually) but my layman's opinion is that a new Titus does not need facing and reaming before headset installation if they all check like this.

Happy trails, Scott
    Pretty bike. Not super light, but you'll probably appreciate the extra metal if you're riding it up in the 'shed.

Happy Trails
    Thanks, MSP... I'll keep an eye out for you on your Turner or Lynksey so I can ask you what the he## a "mightyschmoepong" is, anyways... Yellow was nice today, BTW. Only muddy place was the powerline road at the figure-eight halfway.

Happy Trails

Tr / Lbs

Here's more progress on my RX29 build...
    ... and thanks TR at LBS for installation help and advice on the headset.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hmm, most other RX29er are weighing in at 6.7-6.8 lbs. That's what mine weighed in at on a high dollar, recently calibrated scale at my work.
    The manufacturing quality of the RX29er is truly very good. It's actually the best I've seen and I've assembled a ton of different bikes.
    Checking the flatness of the head tube surfaces isn't all that important unless they're really bad. It's the parallelism of the upper and lower faces that really matters because that's what puts the bearings in alignment. If the faces aren't totally flat the headset cups can handle that.
    My bb was also in great condition with very nicely cut threads and flat parallel faces.

I weighed my size Large 2008 RX29 frame on a high accuracy scale, and got 6.29 pounds.

Happy trails, Scott

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Good job!

Yep, that's what I heard 6-6.1/6.1-6.2/6.2-6.3 (see below, turns out that is not accruate.) roughly from small/med/large. That's pretty light for a 29er.
    I just ordered one of the old 08 orange ones for myself in a small. Bead blast the paint off and you could drop it to almost 6.1 pounds roughly. I'd guess roughly 70-90 grams for paint. I really love the brushed alum look.
    I beleive Jet/9 for compairson at similar travel comes in about 6.4.5. Note we don't have accurate weights on these for 09 cause of the new wishbone swingarms.
    But not nearly as stiff at the pivots and bb shell as ye old r/x 29.
    I love new bike building. Christmas in the spring it should be in friday.

Only thing I have against it from what I have read is a stand over and the head angle (I would like 72.)
    (You don't have a protractor by any chance to get accurate head angle ?)
    Thanks for confirmation.

Happy trails, Scott
    Last edited by ghawk; 03-06-2009 at 08:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hope your scale is more accurate than mine. My small just arrived and weighed out on an alphine digital scale at 6.37 pounds. This scale has been compaired to a Park Digital and both of them had the exact same weight. So I would suspect a large would be in the 6.5 pound area. So, I don't know where the 6.1 pounds for a small were coming from. Maybe they went to heavier paint.

Happy Trails
    I updated my post... I must have remembered this wrong... my large frame is 6.79 pounds... sorry for the confusion. I also weighed with an EA70 seatpost the combination was half a pound heavier (7.3 pounds) ... I think I remembered the 0.5 backwards and I think that is how I got mixed up on 6.3.

Brakes arrived... they go on this weekend ... except Spring came to MD this week, so maybe I'll just ride.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

My top tube also measures 24.75"

which is bang on what Titus says. I used a straight edge with a level and started from the center/top of the head tube. It measured pretty much exactly 24.75" to the center of the seatpost. I also noticed that is is a tad longer than my Giant Trance X0 in the tt length so it all seems to add up for me. I haven't weighed my complete bike yet but should be able to post an accurate weight and some pictures soon. I'm guessing it'll be between 27 and 28 lbs since most of the parts are the same or similar to my 25 lb Trance.

I updated my post... I must have remembered this wrong... my large frame is 6.79 pounds... sorry for the confusion. I also weighed with an EA70 seatpost the combination was half a pound heavier (7.3 pounds) ... I think I remembered the 0.5 backwards and I think that is how I got mixed up on 6.3.

Brakes arrived... they go on this weekend ... except Spring came to MD this week, so maybe I'll just ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I updated my post... I must have remembered this wrong... my large frame is 6.79 pounds... sorry for the confusion.
    Note a problem, it is just the the weight estimates I was getting from guys around the forum were similar to what Titus said for the frame at 6 lbs for the small. (which was suprising in the first place cause manufacturers are generally off by quite allot.) Anyway, way off.
    6.354lbs Large Ventana El Rey/ 4" (stiffer bb in category)
    6.41 lbs Med Jet9 08 /3" (old swingarm before beefed up. less stiff in catergory)
    6.52 Med Intense 2.9 /4" (less stiff in category)
    So small (equiv to med. in many cases) R/X 29 6.37 lbs. 3" travel (stiffer bb in category). But geez the deal I got was crazy.

Members who have read this thread: 0