mtbr member
    May 2009

RX1 08 or Motolite 07?

Hi.

My RX1 is on it's way to becoming new again as Titus have found an aluminum seat stay for it.
    Now there is someone in my area who is selling a brand new 07 Motolite frame (green), and it got me thinking.
    Should I sell my frame and buy his? And if I do, will my 100mm fork match the frame?
    Are there any other parts I will need to change if I want to make such a switch?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Whoa

you have not even rode it and you want to sell it?

If you want to xc race keep the rx-1.

If you want a general do it all bike get the Motolight

but for gods sake put it together and ride.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have not yet ridden it because of a very recent injury. It's not the bike that is the problem now.
    So going back to my original question (without rubbing in my not being able to ride anything more extreme than an office chair for a few weeks. This is painful enough as it is), can I just switch the parts between the frames?

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Yes and no

All parts will swap, except seatpost (30.9 vs 27.2) and front derailleur if you don't have 31.8 adapters.
    10omm fork is not optimal for Motolite. At least 120 up to 140.

And you will lose warranty buying it second hand and 2007 model.

More importantly, two different ride qualities.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ok, so changing the the fork is the biggest issue here since I will also have to sell mine and buy a new one.

I understand different behavior, but can you explain different ride quality?
    I am not going to race these bike, more like long XC and sigletracks. Is the difference worth the hassle of selling my frame and swapping the parts (leaving the warranty issue aside, since I already lost the warranty on mine anyway).

offroader
    Dec 2008
    I own a 2007 Motolite. I don't see the point in swapping your Racer X parts to a Motolite. If you're interested in getting a Motolite, build a new bike and keep the Racer X. I wouldn't spec the Motolite with a 100mm fork, I think it needs at least 120mm. Being the purist that I am, I prefer an adjustable fork on my Motolite something like the Fox Talas or Rockshocks Revelation U-Turn.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    ^^^ whoo hooo.. that was my 1000th post ^^^

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Congrats.

Welcome to the 1000 post club. You have joined us quite quickly.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

ಠ_ಠ
    Personally, I'd rather own a MotoLite; stronger, more versatile, minimal weight penalty. According to the designer, it's meant to be a Racer-X on steroids...

An 100mm fork could work on the ML if you used it in the 4in mode. I think weighted the bottom bracket would get too low with the full 5 inches.