Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004

RX vs. yeti asr sl, convince me!

I am hoping to make the leap to fs for next season. I am a 35 yo. expert xc racer in the north east(5'7, 153#). The courses here are root and rock fests, and often muddy, and I've been having some lower back issues for the last couple of years, so it is time. I will enjoy the travel, and being able to ride drops that might have been too much for a 23# hardtail, but this is going to be a fast bike, hopefully around 24# or less. I was looking at the yeti asr sl, as it is light and well liked, but it is expensive. The RX is just a little hevier and costs about $500 less. Both bikes are long and low, which is what i want. Does anyone have any comparitive feedback on these frames? I would love to save the cash if It won't cost me any climbing speed. You are the titus cultists. Convince me!

banned
    I do the trails around upstate NY and I'm familiar with the terrain. What courses do you run and have you previously run a bike up there with steep head angles?

ಠ_ಠ
    Let me 1st start by saying they are both GREAT bikes. And you should test ride before making your decision.

But...here's a story, not a comparison that made me think of you when I read your post.

Good luck!

For me, the Racer X is perfect for Northeast terrain and conditions. The handling is fast and super responsive. The geometry sets you up to hammer through rock gardens and up the steeps. I also like the user-serviceable bushings and bearings; something about the Yeti's carbon pivot points bothers me.

Go for the Racer-X and save the cash (or put it into lighter parts for the Racer-X).

"El Whatever"
    Man, that's one of the toughest calls on industry....

The Racer-X is like an industry standard, but the Yeti is an equal rival.

I have a friend who has a ASR-SL, a Spider and a Flux... he would buy again only the Yeti. That's what he chose as his racing weapon.

I'd say, test ride if possible. Being both so great bikes, the difference will be nuissances.
    Check my Site

And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I do the trails around upstate NY and I'm familiar with the terrain. What courses do you run and have you previously run a bike up there with steep head angles?
    I'm doing most of the H@H series and the overlook race in woodstock. I was going to do the masters races as well, but it just didn't work out. I will try to do both next year. I ride around rosendale, jocky hill, stewart, and where ever there is a race, as well as some other stuff I am not at liberty to admit to( H@H #2). I ride a hardtail with a 71/74 geometry and an 80 mil fork. I'm really looking forward to trying out the 100 fork, but with the same 71 degree front end. I would also like do have a slacker seat angle, as I have a pretty stretched out setup. Both the asr and the RX have the numbers I'm looking for, if I recall correctly.

And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the feedback. keep it comming! Part of theroblem is that these bikes aren't stocked at many shops, so it is hard to get a test ride, especially the yeti.

banned
    For Titus, you can try Tom at Yorktown Cycles. He regularly runs demos at Blue Mountain for interested clients. Leap Off in Keane Valley (wherever that is) is listed as a Yeti Dealer. Depending on where you are and how far you want to drive, you can check out NJ, Pa, Ct.

And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004
    Thanks. Yeah, someone was talking about a shop that stocks titus. It might have been yorktown.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This is a tough one. For me, it would come down to fit if it was going to be a racer. The Yeti feels a bit more plush while still being stiff and railing around corners. It's at home in really rough stuff, evident by my tailing my buddy's 575 all around the Front Range on the downhills. Call Yeti and see if you can demo one where you are. My feeling is that you will find it just a bit more plush and a bit taller than the Racer X so it will come down to feel. They will climb as well as each other and and go around corners as fast. The Yeti may feel a bit taller in turns but its BB height is either 12.7 or 12.8 so it's still very stable- just feels different than the Racer X. It has a great race pedigree as well. The carbon pivots have never seen a failure on the ASR-SL (have been around 3-4 on the 575) but since the ARS-SL is made in Golden and they make much fewer of those frames, they weld them in-house and QA/Quality control them much tighter. Good to have such choices, huh?

Good Luck. By the way, my first post here, Titus guys. Greeting from the Tribe. Pricewise, I think they are the same or very close since I have a good hookup with a couple of Yeti dealers who happen to be friends. I'll check back here to see what you decide and of course, pics will be great.

banned
    My pick is honestly the Yeti for the kind of stuff we ride. On an FS over here, higher BB's is a big plus. Lots of speed gets scrubbed pretty fast everytime the pedals smack a sharp rock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had to make this decision and it came down to Titus availability and pedigree. The Yeti seems to be a bit harder to find on the trail. Good for bike snobbery factor (I'm guilty) but bad for user feedback and info. The Racer X is a standard and after owning mine for 7 months I know why.

If I had to pick one weak point it is bottom bracket height as mentioned above. I wouldn't call the racer X plush either but I do use all 4" of travel regularly. I ride in the southeast on rocky rooty stuff so it should be comparable. If I did it agan I'd get the Racer X again but would not be sad if I had to ge the Yeti.

Trey
    Titus Racer X
    Lynskey Singlespeed

And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004
    Wow! My ignorance of fs bikes is demonstrated by the fact that I didn't even know what to ask! I never thought about bb height, because on a hardtail, it never moves in relation to the ground. I should check my bb height to see what I'm used to, and compare it with these frames. How much will I be affected by this on the trail? Do I need to be more cautious about bottoming out than I am now on my ht?
    campmor.com

new york/new jersey xc race series:
    http://www.campmor.com/html/h2h.shtml

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't have bracket bottoming issues but I do have pedal impact more than I did on my hardtail.
    Titus Racer X
    Lynskey Singlespeed

And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004

Ha!

I just checked. The bb height on the yeti and RX are identical, according to the mfrs. websites. That "riding on top" feeling of the yeiti isn't because it has a higher bb That certainly pushes me a little in the RX direction.
    campmor.com

banned
    Well, first thing is the reason I asked about the steep head angle on our terrain is because these two choices you have will steepen waaay more upon compression with 100mm forks than a lower travel hardtail at the same STATIC head angle. When you're running through the rocks, you will see what I mean. Everything will scrub tons of speed off of you with every impact. When you're compressing the front end, the head angle will steepen even further making the rough rock gardens a bit tougher. This is very fatiguing. For the terrain you're doing, I recommend a slightly more relaxed, yet XC front end if you're running 100mm, or go with a fork that will go slightly higher on the fly, like with a Reba 115. Speaking of which, stiffness is a virtue up there.

Now with the BB height, you have to also understand that the STATIC BB height is going to be higher than a hardtail because there is suspension sag to accomodate, as well as upon full compression. Up there, BB height is another plus because you're gonna smack pedals when you're navigating through the channels of broken rock. Not fun. BB height can give you a lower center of gravity and a more stable feel on turns, but a high BB doesn't always mean you're going to give up a lot. It depends on other design factors.

And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004

Good job!

I never thought that having more travel could slow you down more on impact. That is interesting. I'll have to give that a thought. I still think I would end up with the same bikes though, because I need the other numbers, like the long top tube and the stand over clearance. I'm all torso Besides There aren't too many efficient light weight fs racers out there. I don't want a softail, or one of those "sorta" fs racers(cannondale) . I've heard too many comparisons that favoured these bikes over vpp designs, to go that route. The carbon epic is too expensive, and too short(top tube). I could run a slighty stiffer, faster rebounding setup on the front end to minimize the effect somewhat.Please don't tell me I have to buy a roxshocks anything. I just shudder when I think of it.
    campmor.com

banned
    Not a fan of RS, either, but they are making decent equipment now. Also check out the wheelbase to help you get through the rocks. That's another important one. Don't count the Flux out, either. That was what I used extensively up there. Though not as racy in the head angle, it manages the rocks much better before going into the 5" trailbike realm.

Notice as companies go up in travel on a particular frame, the headangle becomes slacker. It's because there's a bigger drop as the fork is compressed more and more and imagine how running through rocks and other obstacles would feel with a 73 degree head angle. This is why the more racy 100mm bikes aren't so great in this technical aspect with the obstacles when compared to slightly more relaxed 100mm bikes.

And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004

Boy, that competitive cyclist ad up there sure is handy!

I just checked. The flux is too heavy, and the nitrous weight limit is a little scary. Oops! just checked again. The nitrous has the same angles as the others, so it would just be the flux.5.6 pounds is too much for me. I'm used to a hardtail. 5 1/2 inches would feel like a DH bike to me
    campmor.com

banned
    Gotcha. Any way to get the geo of your present bike and go off that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I rode a new ASR-Sl with a RP3 and it felt a little lower that mine. It really wasn't but mine had a 5th Element shock which has a different ride characteristic. I prefer the 5th Element for racing but the RP3 made the bike feel lower slung. That bike feels so right to me but let me throw one more into the mix (if I haven't already somewhere)- the new Ventana El Fuego. It has been getting rave reviews from racers and Competitive Cyclist may have a demo they can send you if you decide to consider it. It is light and I think it is probably the stiffest frame in that travel range. If I were to buy another bike that was going to be my FS XC Racer, that's the one I would get. Before getting my X-5, I had no idea what people meant by saying "the stiffness of the bike will blow you away." Well, I do now and the Fuego is one I am dying to try.

I've said this before but Competive Cyclist has many demo bikes and they are pretty smart about bikes. Call a couple of places like that as well and talk to them. I can hardly wait to see what you end up with. I've been throwing the idea around about a dedicated XC Racer myself. I have three choices. The Racer X and the ASR-SL have been two of the best but that El Fuego is starting to call my name and I keep hearing how fast that frame is even though I can probably score the best deal on the Titus or Yeti. Must resist the urge- running out of room. Good luck with this and remember, you're helping me (and others) out too

banned
    Also call Yeti. They might be able to arrange for a demo in your area.

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    I rode a new ASR-Sl with a RP3 and it felt a little lower that mine. It really wasn't but mine had a 5th Element shock which has a different ride characteristic. I prefer the 5th Element for racing but the RP3 made the bike feel lower slung. That bike feels so right to me but let me throw one more into the mix (if I haven't already somewhere)- the new Ventana El Fuego. It has been getting rave reviews from racers and Competitive Cyclist may have a demo they can send you if you decide to consider it. It is light and I think it is probably the stiffest frame in that travel range. If I were to buy another bike that was going to be my FS XC Racer, that's the one I would get. Before getting my X-5, I had no idea what people meant by saying "the stiffness of the bike will blow you away." Well, I do now and the Fuego is one I am dying to try.

I've said this before but Competive Cyclist has many demo bikes and they are pretty smart about bikes. Call a couple of places like that as well and talk to them. I can hardly wait to see what you end up with. I've been throwing the idea around about a dedicated XC Racer myself. I have three choices. The Racer X and the ASR-SL have been two of the best but that El Fuego is starting to call my name and I keep hearing how fast that frame is even though I can probably score the best deal on the Titus or Yeti. Must resist the urge- running out of room. Good luck with this and remember, you're helping me (and others) out too

While the Venntanas are well known for there stiffness Tituses are just as highly regarded in that department. And I'd put the RX up aganst the El fuago anyday, as far as stiffness goes.

Haveing said that the ASR-SL is the only bike I've seen compared favorably to the RX on any consistant basis...at least compared to other bikes that have gone up aganst it, witch is saying something

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    While the Venntanas are well known for there stiffness Tituses are just as highly regarded in that department. And I'd put the RX up aganst the El fuago anyday, as far as stiffness goes.

Haveing said that the ASR-SL is the only bike I've seen compared favorably to the RX on any consistant basis...at least compared to other bikes that have gone up aganst it, witch is saying something
    We should wager on that.

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    We should wager on that.

Who would judge it? Or should we go on customer feed back...cause you'd be hard pressed to find a Titus owner that dosen't mention stiffness.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast