mtbr member
    Mar 2004

RX vs. Ventana El Fuego?

So, I am looking to add to my bike collection (my current ride is a Ventana X-5, which is a near perfect trailbike that can just about do anything). But, I would like to do some racing next season (both XC and endurance) and also wouldn't mind having a shorter-travel bike for those fast rides. FWIW, I am 5 foot 9, 150lbs.

I had pretty much decided on a 100mm RX, but recently saw that Ventana has introduced their new El Fuego, which is a 3.5" bike in the rear (you can run either an 80 or 100 up front-100mm fork gives you a 70 degree HT, or I could go custom and ask Sherwood to build it up for a 71 degree HT with a 100mm fork). Now, I am confused about which one I want. I know the RX is proven, but Ventana doesn't release anything that isn't A-1 either.

Any opinions about the two? I would love this to be a race bike with versatility as a short-travel trailbike too. I know that many RX's aren't primarily raced.

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgcatching
    So, I am looking to add to my bike collection (my current ride is a Ventana X-5, which is a near perfect trailbike that can just about do anything). But, I would like to do some racing next season (both XC and endurance) and also wouldn't mind having a shorter-travel bike for those fast rides. FWIW, I am 5 foot 9, 150lbs.

I had pretty much decided on a 100mm RX, but recently saw that Ventana has introduced their new El Fuego, which is a 3.5" bike in the rear (you can run either an 80 or 100 up front-100mm fork gives you a 70 degree HT, or I could go custom and ask Sherwood to build it up for a 71 degree HT with a 100mm fork). Now, I am confused about which one I want. I know the RX is proven, but Ventana doesn't release anything that isn't A-1 either.

Any opinions about the two? I would love this to be a race bike with versatility as a short-travel trailbike too. I know that many RX's aren't primarily raced.

There is no better race-able traile bike, than the "vaunted" Racer-X IMHO...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Okay, thanks! I have been told my multiple sources to check out a 29er version of a short-travel trailbike, so that is what I am doing. Now that several of the top companies offer one, it should be fun!

Get out of town!
    I am 5'9" as well and don't know that I would look to race a 29er over a standard 26 - I'm not too sure there would be any advantages to that? Maybe I just haven't been enlightened yet... I can tell you that I own and race a Racer X 100 and love it. My brother had a Ventana El Salt and my Titus feels every bit as stiff but is considerably lighter and was made specifically for the type of riding you are looking to do.

That being said, I'm sure the El Fuego is a sweet ride. Ventana, like Titus doesn't really make a bad bike and you really can't go wrong when you start looking at bikes of this caliber.
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnk1975
    I am 5'9" as well and don't know that I would look to race a 29er over a standard 26 - I'm not too sure there would be any advantages to that? Maybe I just haven't been enlightened yet... I can tell you that I own and race a Racer X 100 and love it. My brother had a Ventana El Salt and my Titus feels every bit as stiff but is considerably lighter and was made specifically for the type of riding you are looking to do.

That being said, I'm sure the El Fuego is a sweet ride. Ventana, like Titus doesn't really make a bad bike and you really can't go wrong when you start looking at bikes of this caliber.
    I've been on racerx's for a few years now. I got to demo a racerx 29er a couple months ago. I race a lot too.

I'm now waiting on my el patron - the 29er version of the el fuego... It was a no brainer to make the switch to a 29er.

Our pro/semi pro class consistanly has about 20 people in it during the series. Pretty much half were on 29er's this past spring. I guess I'll be tipping the boat in favor of 29er's this fall.

I ride tight technical stuff. Lots of ledges, roots, short steep climbs and descents.

Get out of town!
    I would think you would be at a disadvantage on a 29er on tight technical stuff - however on ledges, roots... I would like to demo a 29er myself. Most guys I know who race wouldn't consider using these as there primary race bike though. You know how it is though, the east is always trying to catch up with the west ;-) I can demo a rigid 29er SS at my local shop but it isn't even the same animal as something like an Asylum.
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."