Thread: RX-29er sizing

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

RX-29er sizing

So, called Titus today. I check in at 5'10" they are recommending the Small frame. Any thoughts?
    I'm currently on the HH100 with the 23" TT and a 120mm stem.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm just under 5'8" and I ride a small RX 29r. It fits me like a glove. My inseam is about 32.5". It's all about the reach. I run a 100mm stem. Titus people seem to like to run extra long stems and a couple inches of drop from saddle to bar. It really depends how you like your fit. I like my bars and saddle to be even. Good luck.
    I beat my husband at the CreamPuff 100.
    Relavant blog:

mtbr member

check other posts on this topic..

I'm under the impression a 29er requires a rider to go with a longer ETT than a 26er due to the steeper head tube angle on the 29er, which will tuck the wheel under you more on the 29er. I've heard this before but the opposite has probably also been said. Best bet is to try both but failing that, do tons of research first. I'm 5'11 34" inseam (to floor) and am a Large with a 100mm stem. Tried Medium with 120mm but it was too skittish on the techy stuff. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I say go for the medium with a 90-100 mm stem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm also 5'10" and the small fits me fine. I couldn't be happier.

Happy Trails
    6-2 with 36 inseam on a L with a 90mm-20degree stem. Reach is great (22.5" from seat tip to handlebar centerline) but standover is a little big. This is not a lot of help ... but I vote M.

zep
    mtbr member

M or S

Reckon a M would fit the bill, if you are accustomed to rangy TT lengths. You've seen the geo chart: S = 23.25 TT and M = 24 TT...so ~ 2cm diff. S would work as well, probably.
    One data point; the RX 29 geo is based on (per their site) a fork w/ a 490mm axle-to-crown length. That's the length of a 80mm Reba. The 100mm Fox F29 is 500mm. So, if you run a 100mm Fox (I do, and it's quite fine) then your geo will be ~ 1/2 degree less steep, and your effective TT length will be a touch longer. My RX29, with an F29, measured just about 23.5 effective TT, and my angle-finder measures just about 1/2 degree less on both head and seat angle. At 5'8", this setup works fine for the tight Oregon singletrack, that I ride. There's no way that I'd need steeper geo...but that's me.

mtbr member
    5' 11" here. Not to go against what Titus recommend's, but i'd say a medium would be right on. My arms are on the shorter side, and have no problem on a medium with a 110mm stem.
    The small felt cramped to me on a test ride, and did'nt want to run a long stem and layed back post to make up the difference. I'm happy with the medium.
    The only way to know for yourself is get on both sizes for a test......Yes, easier said than done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Done

Well, thanks for all the advice. I pulled the trigger last week and got BikerBob to get me a small. I spun her out on the maiden voyage today on the tightest, twisty single track in the area just to see how it would handle in the "worst 29er situation". Well, I'm glad to say it performed much better than expected and initial thoughts are that it's better than my HH100 even on those trails!
    I went with the small after talking it over with Titus some more. Apparently, they wanted to build their "smallest frame" for someone that they think would be the minimum height to consider a 29er--ie around 5 10. So that's me. I also wanted to get the "twichiest" size possible to counter the 29er "sluggishness". I also went with the best wheels I could afford to make the transition smooth. i have the 240's centerlock with silver supercomps and stans 355's they weigh in at 1630 with the tape and stems installed. I converted some SB8s and they were super fast as well as light. The bike is 25.3 lbs.
    The fit is near about perfect. It's a tad longer cockpit than my HH100 which suits me just fine. I like the stand-over and wouldn't want anything much taller. I certainly see how the medium would fit with no problems with a shorter stem as well.

Thanks again for your thoughts and research....

Off to the Cohutta 100 next week! See you there!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Sweet! Congrats on the new ride.
    I beat my husband at the CreamPuff 100.
    Relavant blog: