GMM
    mtbr member

RX-100 to Motolite?

My riding style has changed over the last few years to where I am now enjoying and spending more time on technical terrain, although I'm not terribly good at it. I am considering going from my current HH100 (RX-100) to a Motolite.

The main reason for the change would be to run a 5" front fork and have a slacker HA to better handle the steep and technical stuff that is currently a bit nerve wrecking with the RX's steep head angle. However, I still like to climb.

I am just wondering how much I would be giving up in climbing prowess and if the difference is really going to be more than just marginal. The RX is otherwise an incredible bike, but as I am getting older, I find myself enjoying longer rides with technical challenges rather than just speed.

Another question is that since I would likely be on a 24.25 TT Motolite with a 100 stem, would this further limit my climbing ability by putting me too far back on the bike. It seems like standing climbs would certainly be tougher. I'm 5"11 by the way and currently ride a 23.5" TT with a 120mm stem. I do realize that this set-up would provide for better stability. I know I have to give something up here, just not sure how much.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    GMM - I originally owned a Racer X 100 and a ML2. I recently sold my Racer X 100. I found the ML to be the perfect bike for my riding. Similar to you I found the 5 inches of travel to suit my riding style better. I also found the ML in the 4" mode to ride very similarly to my Racer X 100. The Racer X 100 climbs a little better but I would say that is marginal. The ML/ 4" mode is slightly plusher than the Racer X 100. I was surprised at how well the ML corners. I think it handles corners better than the RX 100. For trail riding the ML is in the 5" mode. For the occasional race, I ride in the 4" mode and flick on the propedal. I think you would be very pleased with the ML.

GMM
    mtbr member
    JTBAZ-- Thanks mucho! I especially appreciate your insights since you have owned both.

Do It Yourself
    I had a 23.5" TT Hammerhead as well. Despite my earlier reservations and after trying a few different setups, the longer top tube of the Large MotoLite isn't that bad. I think the biggest downside is the monster headtube. You'll want to put a 130mm fork on there so you're already an 1" higher, then you add the 1 taller headtube and it will take some adjustments in your climbing technique. The bb height is another thing you might notice but that's a good thing when the trails get rough.

There are a lot of good bikes in the 5+" range. But if you're trails are really that rough, you might think about jumping in head first to the suspension pool and ponying up to infamous El Guapo, RFX, or 6.6. Just a thought.
    Long Live Long Rides

I rode 'Whistler XC'
    Rode a RX 80 for 2 yrs and after much deliberation, sleepless nights and ceaselessly weighing up the pros and cons, I switched to a ML.

I was in exactly the same position as you and also trying to stick with my buddies riding Cannondale Prophets and Giant VTs.

Best decision i ever made! The RX climbs marginally better, although I found that on REALLY technical climbs when it gets rocky and rutted the ML actually performs better because it has better traction than the RX.

Extra stability and pace over the RX just make it even sweeter. Cornering is sublime.

Like I always say, unless you race lots, the ML is THE bike to have.

Cheers
    Mint
    If I wanted your opinion I'd give it to you

GASing
    Quote Originally Posted by GMM
    My riding style has changed over the last few years to where I am now enjoying and spending more time on technical terrain, although I'm not terribly good at it.
    Sounds like words straight out of my mouth 6 months ago. Coming from a Klein hardtail, the RX felt like perfection to me, but I ended up going with a Motolite for the same reasons that you state, in the hopes that it would open up some new doors and a new take on the sport.

There are no concerns about lost climbing ability or efficiency. Honestly, the biggest thing has been getting used to the bike. The riding position, geometry and longer travel are things that I'm just not used to. Things come together a little more every time I ride, and make the right setup changes, but I still feel a little awkward on the bike.

Get out of town!
    Where do you live and what do you ride most of the time? From your first sentence it sounds like you are a prime candidate for the Motolite. Does that mean you ride that kind of stuff most of the time now, or you just like it more lately? I love it too but most of my riding is done during the week on local piedmont trails where the 5 Spot slows me down. My main ride is a Racer X and I use it most of the time. My 5 Spot is a much better bike for the mtns though, and it would be my main ride if I lived there.

I know I am pointing out the obvious to you but if your local trails are like mine 4" is the Holy Grail of travel. I like to see AM bikes like the Motolite built up to handle the terrain you mention and less of an XC build. That's the reason the riding geometry is set up in the style that it is (slacker HA, etc.). If you want to get a Moto and then make it as light as possible so it rides like an XC bike then just keep the HH. Just my opinion and I'm sure plenty will disagree - but hey you asked!
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

I rode 'Whistler XC'
    Quote Originally Posted by GMM
    The main reason for the change would be to run a 5" front fork and have a slacker HA to better handle the steep and technical stuff that is currently a bit nerve wrecking with the RX's steep head angle.
    I was just reading this thread again and thought I should add this.

In December I had the oppertunity to spend 2 hrs on a buddy's custom ti 29er RX. I used to love the RX's handling. It is a phenomenel bike. However, going back onto one after 9months on a ML just showed me how much more usable the ML really is. Riding steep technical descents the RX felt incredibly nervous and twitchy and i constantly felt like i was going to go over the bars (Though I'm sure I could get use to it again with extra time in the saddle).

Let me put it this way.....The ML is a far better descender than what the RX is a climber. What I'm trying to say is that it gives far more than it takes away when compared to the RX. Or to put it another way......When it comes to descending, the ML is MUCH better than the RX. When it comes to climbing the RX is only MARGINALLY better than the ML.

Is this making ANY sense?
    If I wanted your opinion I'd give it to you

GASing
    Quote Originally Posted by MintSauce
    I was just reading this thread again and thought I should add this.

In December I had the oppertunity to spend 2 hrs on a buddy's custom ti 29er RX. I used to love the RX's handling. It is a phenomenel bike. However, going back onto one after 9months on a ML just showed me how much more usable the ML really is. Riding steep technical descents the RX felt incredibly nervous and twitchy and i constantly felt like i was going to go over the bars (Though I'm sure I could get use to it again with extra time in the saddle).

Let me put it this way.....The ML is a far better descender than what the RX is a climber. What I'm trying to say is that it gives far more than it takes away when compared to the RX. Or to put it another way......When it comes to descending, the ML is MUCH better than the RX. When it comes to climbing the RX is only MARGINALLY better than the ML.

I'd agree with that I just took a ride today and was thinking how great this bike is at descending. I just went from a 110mm stem to a 90mm, and for a moment I felt like I was on a DH bike carving the turns.

mtbr member

MotoLite and climbing

I was in the same boat buddy

I had 04 specialized stumpy pro ,light as, and used to enjoy climbing , was getting punished on the technical fun stuff - which is why we ride to have fun.

have 06 ML with 07 Talas and RP23

This has to best combo for you - my bike has so many different modes all at the flick of lever .
    If fireroad smooth climb - only need setting 2 on propedal , technical singletrack flat with some climbing propedal 1 , flat to downhill propedal 1 or OFF to fly !!!!
    Talas on the front only adds to different modes - usually run 12o on the tight twisting singletrack , flick that lever on the L leg to 140 for any downhill stuff.
    Im almost 40 average rider and this bike means I can SMOKE my mates is so well balanced etc etc and SO MUCHFUN in the tracks - I love it.
    Did a road ride yest 40 km up and down only needed Propedal 2 ( 3 is almost full lock out ) , used 100mm on the front for the first time - locked it out and beat my time on a trek hardtail by 30 seconds !! ( Nicer wheels on the ML may have made a difference.
    I have a buddy on 07 Special stumpy expert - Xmaxes same travel rear same talas forks and the ML just smoked him.

Bud - I cant recommend a ML highly enough - get a RP23 and 07 TALAS and you wont look back

Kiwi ML Rider

GMM
    mtbr member

Perfect description-- that is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

Great insight from everyone.

jsnk1975: Yes, my local trails are like yours. I live in the East Bay (Fremont), but I am really getting dusted when I head to technical trails. However, I agree the RX-100 (4") is perfect for most of what I ride; it's just that I really enjoy what I am only able to ride 20% of the time-- how's that for confusion. Ideally, I would keep the RX as well.