Thread: RX-1 V Motolite

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

RX-1 V Motolite

Is the RX-1 a shorter travel version of the MR 1??

Or is the RX-1 a poorer version of the X?? Like the MR1 is a cheaper version of the Motolite.

Does that even make sense??

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    ML1 = complete ML
    RX1 = complete racer X

The frames for both completes can be found for sale now...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Been doing a lot of research, what I have noticed is the ML1 frame has no carbon fibre seat stay, where the Motolite does.

The RX-1 has no carbon fibre seat stay, while the racer x does.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Nothing more to find out

Quote Originally Posted by refreshinglygood
    Been doing a lot of research, what I have noticed is the ML1 frame has no carbon fibre seat stay, where the Motolite does.

The RX-1 has no carbon fibre seat stay, while the racer x does.
    That is exactly the only difference.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Other details

Different tube material.
    Boxed chainstays vs hydroformed.
    Taiwan vs USA made.
    One color powdercoat vs paint options or anodized.

Weight.'
    Resale value.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ok, so not the ONLY difference.. :-)

I understood that both the ML and the RX are made in the USA, and that the front triangle is the same. I trust you are better informed than I am.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Details

Quote Originally Posted by tomwolf
    Ok, so not the ONLY difference.. :-)

I understood that both the ML and the RX are made in the USA, and that the front triangle is the same. I trust you are better informed than I am.
    Racer X and Motolite are USA frames and use Titus exclusive T.U.F tubeset.
    ML1 and RX1 use 6061 tubeset.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ok. How much of a difference does it make between Taiwan and USA made frames?

If we are on the subject, can you explain the difference between this to the one here?

10x

mtbr member
    Well, the travel and geometry are very different between the two (meaning the RX and ML). This is probably already understood, but I thought I'd put it out there anyway, as those are key differences.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Made in USA

Quote Originally Posted by tomwolf
    Ok. How much of a difference does it make between Taiwan and USA made frames?

If we are on the subject, can you explain the difference between this to the one here?

10x
    Finding a US made frame is harder these days. Some people don't care where there bike comes from. But many would prefer it to be built here.
    Same for guitars. Do you want a Chinese Stratocaster or Korean Martin?

Made in USA costs more, but is worth more over time. That's besides the other differences listed previously. Notice that Titus stopped making and importing the RX1 and ML1. All Motolites, Racer X, FTM and X are made in USA.

Your first link is a complete build. Your second link is frame only. Same frame from either store. Bob's is no longer handling Titus, just a few closeouts.

Good for me. People got me- Bikerbob.com -confused with them often. There is no Bob at Bob's Bicycles. And there's only Bob here.

I would look at spending a few hundred more to get an 09 Motolite or Racer X, unless you really like Surf Blue on the RX1.

And all of you considering one of these bikes should examine closley the big differences between any Motolite and any Racer X, no matter the seatstay.

Two different styles of bike. Travel, head angle, weight, etc.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I am not sure you got my question right.

I really wanted to know the difference between a Taiwan made frame and a US made one, specifically in regard to the RX/racerX. I have a RX frame, and as much as I would prefer it being made in the US, it wasn't. I didn't know it was not made in the US when I bought it and now I am interested in the differences.

In regard to the links, the first frame does not have a tube between the seat tube and the top tube (like in the titus 08 catalog), while the second one does (looks more like the 08 carbon racerX).
    I was just wondering how this tube grew there, does it make a difference, and are there any more differences?

I am aware the bobs-bicycle and you are different entities. I was confused at first so I went and checked. I just asked you because I think you will know the answer :-)

P.S.
    I do like the surf blue on my RX :-)
    Last edited by tomwolf; 06-28-2009 at 07:01 AM.

Ti is addictive
    Uhm just to really confuse things here's a old link about the RX1 frame straight from the horses mouth.

RX 1 Vs. Racer X
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

More details

The first link show a medium RX1. The second link shows a large which has the cross brace. That is the same for all Racer models.
    According to Titus Jeff, the RX1 is US made, but with a different tubeset than the Racer X, plus the other differences noted. He should know.

So enjoy your bike and don't worry. No carbon to protect.