mtbr member
    Aug 2008

RS Pikes on an MLII

Anyone running RS Pikes on an MLII? I've just got myself some Pike SL (older model I think, but new) coil u-turn. Just wondered if anyone else is running these and how you have them set-up?

"El Whatever"
    I have one on my Switchblade, which s fairly close to the ML as geometry goes.

It's superb. I set it to 140mm for descents, 110mm for climbing ang and if I'm in the mood, 120mm for singletrack.

As for actual set up, mine is a Dual Air U-Turn (Thanks, Whafe!!), but as with any fork, just get the right spring for your weight so you have between 25% and 30% sag at the longest travel setting and it doesn't bottom when hitting the biggest thing you hit on a regular ride.

Then set the rebound. The classic curb test is a good starting point. Ride off a curb and feel how the front end recovers. One bounce is ok, two bounces or bucking you up is too fast and not getting back to sag is too much. When you get to the OK setting, back off the rebound a bit as off road riding needs faster rebound for the wheel to track properly.

After that, you play with the compression ad libitum. Just make sure the fork doesn't dive when braking or bounces too much when pedaling standing.

The Floodgate has effect only when you have the compression close to fully closed or closed. Lock the fork and set the FG to the point you want. The FG sets the threshold at which the impact will make the fork to move. I like a fairly open FG setting as climbing with a long, rock solid fork seems a bit dumb to me.

The fork stiffens as you lower the travel, so the Compression is more effective than the FG. Unless you're climbing a VERY steep, concrete road when you'd choose to lock the fork at its shortest setting.

My SB feels very happy at the travel settings I mentioned above.

Congrats! The Pike is a killer fork. You don't really know how much.
    Check my Site

searcher
    I know there are a bunch of ML riders out there with a Pike and they all raving about it. It will give you a nice stability in front because of the thru axle. Setting it up, Warps guideline sounds pretty good. Enjoy!
    Kovi

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Cheers guys! They seem to be fairly bomb-proof no matter what year they're from. So fingers crossed!

screamer
    Kapusta gave a really helpful explanation of the relationship of compression settings to floodgate, with some guidelines about different settings for different scenarios. Check it:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...98056#poststop