mtbr member
    Nov 2006

RS Pearl and Float AVA R on MotoLite

Hi All!

This thread is just a bit of thoughts. Have no particular purpose, just want some ideas from you and a bit of discussion.

Well, first: when I got a Moto-Lite, I didn't like the stock RP3 due to being spiky in mid-travel range. I weigh about 210 lbs. Thus I traded it for Fox Vanilla R ProPedal and some cash. Pretty plush, and seemed to use all travel with a 750 lbs spring.

Then I was riding an RS Pearl 3.1. Front forks is Pike, so they work well together. Actually, Pearl is not that plush, in this sense I agree with everyone else on this forum. But still, it works pretty good with ML. I was using a 70 psi pressure with 6 clicks of Motion Control from fully open. Recently, switched to 65 psi and 9 clicks, and this gave a plusher ride with still good pedalling. And, what's good: this setting gives a comfortable sag, so I have comfortable angles and sit in the middle of the bike. And the shock has a good portion of travel unused, quite far from bottoming out.

And yesterday, I put a Fox Float R AVA on my ML. What a suprise!! This is a VERY linear air shock. I was amazed. First, I set the volume air at max, and while having a similar sag with Pearl (i think about 1/4 of travel, as it should be), shock was easily using full travel. What a wonder! It feels like Fox Vanilla. I soon set the volume to almost min, to make it a bit more progressive. Still, it's quite linear. I'm impressed. Do you have any similar exprience? AVA is much plusher than Pearl at similar sag.

The whole thing is: sure, I'd prefer AVA, but i'm afraid of bottoming out. I was not jumping yesterday, and the shock was using almost all travel. Pearl gives much more confidence in this way. What a problem, you say, just pump a bit more in AVA, and you're sorted. But then the sag will be much less than I'd like to have. Sure, there's also an option to set a less sag and adjust my position on bike using seatpost and saddle position. Maybe I will investigate this option, too.

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Evteev

And yesterday, I put a Fox Float R AVA on my ML. What a suprise!! This is a VERY linear air shock. I was amazed. First, I set the volume air at max, and while having a similar sag with Pearl (i think about 1/4 of travel, as it should be), shock was easily using full travel. What a wonder! It feels like Fox Vanilla. I soon set the volume to almost min, to make it a bit more progressive. Still, it's quite linear. I'm impressed. Do you have any similar exprience? AVA is much plusher than Pearl at similar sag.

if you are just swaping different shocks from the spares bin, its real hard to say whats going on. and draw any conclusions. a lot of thease shocks get custom shimmed or valved for the intended bike frame....

if you like that AVA you got ... then roll with it brother.

maybe you could have put a larger air sleeve on your RP3 to get a similar affect as the AVA. maybe.

or get a DHX air. it has the higher volume air sleeve and an adjustible bottom out feature. I tried one on my ML and I thought it was super plush.