Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

RS Monarch RT3 losing air

Anyone else experience this? I've only been on 10 rides with this shock and now it's losing air. I tightened the air valve, hopefully that will fix the problem.

mtbr member
    So far after tightening the valve core, it wasn't lost any air over night. Let's see what happens today on the trails.

mtbr member
    Mine used to bleed about 10psi when I rode it but it stopped after about 10 rides.

mtbr member
    I had to stop and put air in the shock about 4 times on a 4-hr ride today. I'll give it one more week to see if it stops.

mtbr member
    Take it off and stick it under water to see where it is leaking. If it is leaking from around the shaft seal you know you need to send it back, if it leaking form the valve core you can replace the valve core.

mtbr member
    I sprayed some soapy water on the shock to see if I could tell where the leak was coming from but no bubbles. I'll have to spray the valve core to see that's where the leak is coming from. For some reason it slipped mind to do this earlier.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I got my RT3 from Titus and acutally had to replace the valve. It was immediately leaking air. Not a big deal. My mechanic had an extra one. But I have noticed that it has lost some air over time. I have put about 100 miles on the bike and shock and I think I need to adjust the pressure again. Have noticed it is compressing more initially with me on the bike.

mtbr member

My mind is boggled

So after riding my El G this weekend my shock is still leaking. When I left the sag was set at 20% and when I returned it was down to 30%. I removed the shock and placed it in water, I thought I saw some bubbles coming from around the dust wiper but the more I dunked it, the less I think it's coming from there. There are no bubbles coming from the shock while under water. Plus, the shock held air all throughout the week with it sitting in my garage. It seems like it only looses air when it cycles. I guess I'll wait and see what Titus will do.
    Last edited by jdcatnau; 10-24-2011 at 03:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Keep me informed of what you find out. When did you order your RT3? I seem to be having some of the same issues as you are.

mtbr member

I'll keep you posted

Quote Originally Posted by titusracer View Post
    Keep me informed of what you find out. When did you order your RT3? I seem to be having some of the same issues as you are.

I've only been on about 10 rides with the EL G. It seems several people have had issues with this shock. Rick from Titus said he would take care of it last week, however, he was in the UK. I checked with Push to see if they would tune it, but they said they are about 1-2 months away from starting to service the monarchs.

mtbr member

Sending it back

Heard from Rick at Titus. He wants me to send the shock back so it can be warrantied by SRAM. Guess I am done riding for the year since it getting cooler and cooler in Northern Arizona.

mtbr member
    With the shock off of the bike, put about 250-260psi in it and place it in a bucket of water. No soap. Leave the air valve cap off as well. If you're leaking air, that's the best way to tell where.
    Maintain internal heights.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nixgame22 View Post
    With the shock off of the bike, put about 250-260psi in it and place it in a bucket of water. No soap. Leave the air valve cap off as well. If you're leaking air, that's the best way to tell where.
    Thanks, but I have already shipped it out. I have the shock up to 240 and I didn't see anything. It's driving me crazy!!

mtbr member
    I had a Monarch R (stock on Salsa Spearfish) that just recently did this same thing. All of the sudden started loosing air while riding after ~6hrs. It wouldn't leak while stored or submerged. LBS called SRAM and had me a new RT3 the next day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    I had a Monarch R (stock on Salsa Spearfish) that just recently did this same thing. All of the sudden started loosing air while riding after ~6hrs. It wouldn't leak while stored or submerged. LBS called SRAM and had me a new RT3 the next day.
    Nice. My shox finally made it to Portland today, so my riding season will be done for the year if I don't get a new one or mine fixed soon.

mtbr member

Just arrived

Rock Shox sent me a new shock. It took a few week to get this sorted out but Titus did come through. Lucky for me the snow has not come yet, so I'll be able to get out and ride tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers that this one won't leak.

mtbr member
    Did yours have the "swivel valve" by chance? The schrader valve swivels out to put air in? I guess they have had serious issues with this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    Did yours have the "swivel valve" by chance? The schrader valve swivels out to put air in? I guess they have had serious issues with this.
    It's the shock that Titus sells on the their website. There's no information about a "swivel valve."

Biking Like Crazy!
    I hope you get enough rides in before winter jdc to see if the shox is
    okay. I got the same shox from Titus (8.5x2.5) about 2 months ago,
    but have it on my 06 SuperMoto. I'll keep a closer eye on it now to see if it leaks.
    Craigstr the shock has a fixed valve stem on it.

mtbr member
    Only have a few rides on my new EG and I now have the same problem with my shock. I had to air it up half way through my ride yesterday. I will try submerging in water tonight to see if there are any obvious leaks.

I think I might pickup a backup shock, as I can't really afford to be without the bike for weeks...summers are short as it is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I did pick up a backup shock (cane creek cloud nine). My shock is still at SRAM I am guessing. Has been out of my hands for over a month now. I would suggest getting a backup for the interim.

mtbr member
    It took over a month to get mine back, but RS did send me a new shock. So far no problems, but I've only been on a few rides since the snow has finally melted.

How is the CC cloud 9?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yes - this is the second time mine has been back. I think they just replaced the internals the first time, but it came back doing the same thing. The CC Cloud Nine is actually really nice. I think it is plusher than the RT3. There is definitely more pedal bob to it, but it is not terrible. Small bump compliance is really nice. And it being an air shock, it is super reliable. I just check the pressure every time I go out. No more filling up every ride. A good back up for sure. But I like the climbing characteristics of the RT3 a little better.

mtbr member
    Is there a trick to removing the air can? Mine seems to be welded on! I've destroyed my strap wrench trying to get it off.

I dream on two wheels
    My RT3 started leaking air from the base of the valve stem. For those of you that had the same problem, did Rockshox warranty it? The shock is less than a year old.

Thanks!
    Whiskey

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast