Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator

RP3 + '05 ML = copious pedal bob for big rider???

Hope y'all can help.......

built up an '05 Moto-lite with RP3 for a friend who weighs about 215lbs.....pushed about 280lbs of pressure into the bugger and he still gets a very noticeable amount of pedal bob on all 3 settings.....am i missing something here??....got the sag set to 25% of the stanchion throw....or is this shock fragged and time to get PUSH'd

any and all advice is welcome.......

PS - i tried the search...it won't search on 3 characters...like "RP3"
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    Hope y'all can help.......

built up an '05 Moto-lite with RP3 for a friend who weighs about 215lbs.....pushed about 280lbs of pressure into the bugger and he still gets a very noticeable amount of pedal bob on all 3 settings.....am i missing something here??....got the sag set to 25% of the stanchion throw....or is this shock fragged and time to get PUSH'd

any and all advice is welcome.......

PS - i tried the search...it won't search on 3 characters...like "RP3"
    sounds like its a small ML. the smalls have a higher leverage ratio, with a 1.5 inch stroke shock. I've probably posted elevety billion times that big short guys need to avoid the small ML at all costs. if so you are screwed, If yall are stuck with it, then run it in 4 inch mode.

or your shock is broke....

I weigh 220-250 depending on the time of year and never have I run hihger then 220 psi on my large ML.

Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    sounds like its a small ML. the smalls have a higher leverage ratio, with a 1.5 inch stroke shock. I've probably posted elevety billion times that big short guys need to avoid the small ML at all costs. if so you are screwed, If yall are stuck with it, then run it in 4 inch mode.

or your shock is broke....

I weigh 220-250 depending on the time of year and never have I run hihger then 220 psi on my large ML.
    fawk!!....it's a small......how about PUSH'ing the bugger?......

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hey Demo,
    Are you running an RP3 or an RP23. Whats your compression setting set to?

"El Whatever"
    That could help...

The Small ML has lighter tubing too....
    Check my Site

Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    That could help...

The Small ML has lighter tubing too....
    nice....very nice......

"El Whatever"
    nice....very nice......
    Oh, my apologies... Didn't intend to be rude. Again, not my intention.

Just to let you know if you didn't.
    Check my Site

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguysmallbike
    Hey Demo,
    Are you running an RP3 or an RP23. Whats your compression setting set to?
    I had an RP3, pushed it... big improvement on a RP3. but I wanted firmer propedal option. now I have a used RP23 with middle propedal. my ML is my XC bike, so the stock RP23 is great. I flip the lever a lot. I generally use setting 3 like a soft lockout for fire road climbs. if its rolling hills with no steep climbs I wont flip it on at all. I've used setting one a bunch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Okay, i think i need to upgrade my rp23 to one with firmer compression. Currently my rp23 is set to the lightest compression and propedal 3 feels more like a very soft lockout. I'm getting a lot of movement while in pp3 on smooth fireroads. People were telling me to use 77% of my weight as a starting point for pressure, but it sounds like you're more in the 95% of your weight. Maybe i'll give that a try.

Oh, my apologies... Didn't intend to be rude. Again, not my intention.

Just to let you know if you didn't.
    just razzin' you bro'.....i take consistent and vigorous abuse on other forums on a regular basis.....

"El Whatever"
    I take consistent and vigorous abuse on other forums on a regular basis.....
    OK... we can provide some more...
    Check my Site

the 36 year old grom
    I wouldn't push it. I'd get a new bike. any five inch bike with a 2 inch stroke shock should be OK, they are more common these days. or Ventana can build your buddy what he needs, a strong stiff, small bike with a low leverage ratio.....

anyway...learn from the mistake and move on. try it in 4 inch mode to prove the point to him, in 4 inch mode it will have a clyde frendly 2.6 to 1 leverage ratio..

a Small ML is a fantastic fit for short light people. most other bikes have one size fits all suspension. I think its a great feature that titus has sized the suspension for the target rider. the higher leverage ratio is a advantage for lighter peoples.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You may want to try slowing your rebound a bit also as you go up in air pressure...

banned
    I weigh 285lbs before gear and found that what works best for me is 77% of bodyweight. I tried it higher but it pedal bobbed like mad. I saw the 77% figure on this forum and lowered the pressure. Speeded up the rebound and now it rides perfect. It is an 06 medium with rp3.

the 36 year old grom
    Okay, i think i need to upgrade my rp23 to one with firmer compression. Currently my rp23 is set to the lightest compression and propedal 3 feels more like a very soft lockout. I'm getting a lot of movement while in pp3 on smooth fireroads. People were telling me to use 77% of my weight as a starting point for pressure, but it sounds like you're more in the 95% of your weight. Maybe i'll give that a try.
    yeah, I guess I am running about 85-90% body weight. but really I just set it just over 0.5 inch of shock stroke sag.

Quote Originally Posted by mcrent100
    You may want to try slowing your rebound a bit also as you go up in air pressure...
    yup, that would help too. good input. but with that high of a PSI he maybe out of the adjustible range of the rebound.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm 215-220 with gear, and when i have my shock pumped up to 77%, i get more than .5" of sag. I also notice a good amount of shock movement while climbing, even in pp3. I'm running full rebound speed.

"El Whatever"
    I'm 215-220 with gear, and when i have my shock pumped up to 77%, i get more than .5" of sag. I also notice a good amount of shock movement while climbing, even in pp3. I'm running full rebound speed.
    Try running more rebound.

I'm not certain, but I guess on the RP shocks, there is a common bleed. So, turning up the rebound will increase some the compression damping too.

Not to mention that the bob you're feeling, may be due to the shock rebounding too fast.
    Check my Site

Tonight we ride.
    For the last time, don't go by bodyweight! Go by sag.

the 36 year old grom
    I've been quoting my weight naked.

OK....got some additional advice....and a buddy who is selling a PUSH'd RP3 that is tuned for the same weight and riding style,

We'll give the PUSH'd RP3 a shot first - I'll post on what we find....

Secondly I was advised that the Spring Curve can be adjusted by using the Air Volume Adjustment.....basically adding oil to the air chamber to take up space. In doing this you shrink the air chamber relative to the piston size thus decreasing amount of pressure needed for sag and improving pedal bob.

Ultimately demo_slug may be right on the money....and running this ML in 4" mode may be the best solution....i'm just not ready to give up yet

"El Whatever"
    Secondly I was advised that the Spring Curve can be adjusted by using the Air Volume Adjustment.....basically adding oil ot the air to take up space. In doing this you shrink the air chamber relative to the piston size thus decreasing amount of pressure needed for sag and improving pedal bob.
    Not such a good idea... Oil can migrate from the positive to negative chamber and cause stuckdown.

At least Push advises against it.
    Check my Site

Not such a good idea... Oil can migrate from the positive to negative chamber and cause stuckdown.

At least Push advises against it.
    the advice came from Titus tech support - of course they recommended a shop do it....if i try it i'm sure something will catch on fire...somehow.....

I'll look into the internal-pos-neg-oil-leakage-sticky-issue.....ugh......this is all to much for an art school graduate

"El Whatever"
    the advice came from Titus tech support - of course they recommended a shop do it....if i try it i'm sure something will catch on fire...somehow.....

I'll look into the internal-pos-neg-oil-leakage-sticky-issue.....ugh......this is all to much for an art school graduate
    make a search for posts by user "PUSHIND"
    Check my Site

make a search for posts by user "PUSHIND"
    Will do......and it looks like a Fox AVA is an actual "Sleeve" that a rider can change the volume of air by simply dialing it in or out:

Certain FLOAT Fox Load Optimum Air Technology. Delivers the performance of a coil spring with the adjustability and light weight of an air shock. models feature AVA (see picture at right), a technology that affords new levels of fine-tuning adjustment. The AVA air sleeve replaces the standard air sleeve on your FLOAT rear shock. AVA increases or decreases the volume of the positive air spring chamber, which allows the rider to alter the shape of the spring curve. The AVA system can create a shock with a 30% more linear spring rate Force required to compress a spring one inch. than a standard FLOAT shock. AVA allows as much as 200 lbs. of bottom-out adjustment.

Link

I tell ya...too many options.......i have the IQ of a hamster...my brain is gonna pop trying to figure all this out

the 36 year old grom
    it is a red moto-lite right?

1. if you put too much fluid in you will/can get hydrolic lock up. which might crack the shock.
    2. the AVA was out of production and I've been told that the older AVAs have the wrong threads to fit on a new RPs.
    3. what exactly are you trying to acomplish? more mid stroke compresion damping more bottom out resistance????
    4. Durablity: the high leverage ratio also means more localized stress on the suspension components. not to mention the whole bike is made with lighter tubing then the bigger bikes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast