mtbr member
    Nov 2005

RP23 on Titus Racer X

Hi All,
    I have spent the last few weeks riding a demo Racer X and really do not like the ride of the rear end due to the Fox shock. No matter what I do I just can't get the "lively" reactive feel that I know from my basic Float R equipped Ellsworth Truth. IMHO the 4 bar rear on the Racer X just doesn't need all that Pro-Pedal damping and would benefit from the a simpler Fox with lock out (the older Float RL?) However, I am so convinced by the benefit of the Titus design over the Ellsworth that I have bought a Racer X, but am immediately having the Fox custom tuned to reduce the Pro-Pedal effect. By the way I am 160lbs 5'10" and ride fairly harsh terrain as well as endurance races. Oh and my new Racer X is a 29er! I will update with ride results when the shock is back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The one reason I like the RP23 is that you can completely shut off the pro-pedal/platform with a flip of the lever. If you want to tailor the pro pedal settings to your preference other than the three standard options, that's another issue, but it can be completely shut off.

mtbr member

with 29r....

i would consider a larger can on shock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Great choice on getting a RacerX. There is no other bike like it. I've ridden them for the past 4 years. These bikes are not plush, nor are they meant to be. They are stiff and are designed to be that way. I run a Float R on mine and recently had it "pushed". Adding the pro-pedal feature changed a really good bike to a really great one. It's way worth the $150.

This past sunday I rode with 4 people on several different late model FSR Specialized bikes . All were better riders than I. 2 Hours of fast-paced rooty, twisty narrow single-track. My RacerX helped me hang with them. On the downhills I found myself running up on them, on the climbs I stayed right with them. If I were not on a RacerX, I would have been suffering.

Keep your new RacerX tight, you'll like it that way.

Cheers.

parts leftover
    Here's a link to someone else's question about the Racer X after coming off a Truth:
    RacerX with RP23 - why so unplush?
    Here's my original answer:

Because the suspension is a rising-rate with a low leverage ratio, there is a lot less compression force on the shock. It causes the RP23 to have a spiking sensation.

1. Toss out the Fox pressure guide. At 175lbs I run 100psi on the X. On an Ellsworth or Kona with a rocker, you run pretty close to your weight in pressure. This is a different bike.
    2. Set the sag to ~15mm or 1/2".
    3. Forget propedal on this rig unless you are riding on pavement. Anything above a PP1 is pretty much going to feel like a lockout unless you get a high volume air sleeve (see below).
    4. The biggeset thing is that I bought a high volume air sleeve for $50 from PUSH industries for a more linear feel. You can get it direct from FOX, too. PM me if you need the #. The high volume sleeve completely gets rid of the "spiking sensation" of too much compression damping.
    5. While an X will never be as plush as an AM rig with a rocker, it's a ridiculously well handling machine, especially with a shorter stem for more technical control and a Rock Shox fork that runs a just slightly higher axle to crown length than a comparable Fox F100.
    6. Also, completely de-pressurize the RP23 and compress it fully. You'll notice that the O-ring stops about 5mm before the end of the shock body. That's your bottom-out mark.
    7. The responsive and crisp Racer X responds quite well to suble "body english". My point is that I can lean it, countersteer it, skate it, and kind of twitch it in ways that another, slacker bike, won't respond to. Finesse and flow are key on this machine. Think of your riding as something artistic as opposed to brute plowing and you've got the idea.

You can check out my review of the bike. It the 5/11/07 review under the XC full sus/Titus/Racer X section.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pauljm
    .... am immediately having the Fox custom tuned to reduce the Pro-Pedal effect. By the way I am 160lbs 5'10" and ride fairly harsh terrain as well as endurance races. Oh and my new Racer X is a 29er! I will update with ride results when the shock is back.
    Cool !~!

Congratulations on the new 29er

Could we get a photo please ?~?