mtbr member
    Mar 2010

RP23 Spacers for Rockstar

I blew out the Monarch RT3 on my Rockstar and sent it back to Sram for warranty replacement. In the meantime, I'd like to put my old RP23 on the Rockstar so I can continue riding. The RP23 came off my Titus X. I thought it would be a perfect fit, but the front-facing end of the shock is a bit too narrow for the frame. This causes a bit of side-to-side play. Can I purchase spacers for the RP23 to make it fit correctly? If so, what size do I need? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    All you need to do is measure the inside of the frame from side to side were the shock mounts or measure your other shock and then what size bolt it takes (6mm or 8mm). Any bike shop can sell you the Fox bushings. Take your shock with you to the bike shop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for the input. That only gives me part of the equation (the bolt size). I measured the mounting bracket on the frame and it's 30mm. So, I would guess I need mounting hardware that is 8mm X 30mm width. However, I emailed Titus and Fox and they both say it's 8mm X 35.5mm width. I'm going to go with their recommendation even though it doesn't jive with my measurements in hopes that they know better...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gearjunkie88 View Post
    Thanks for the input. That only gives me part of the equation (the bolt size). I measured the mounting bracket on the frame and it's 30mm. So, I would guess I need mounting hardware that is 8mm X 30mm width. However, I emailed Titus and Fox and they both say it's 8mm X 35.5mm width. I'm going to go with their recommendation even though it doesn't jive with my measurements in hopes that they know better...
    on the X, the rear end of the shock is 35.5mm, and the front is about 22mm (IIRC). are you sure they aren't mixing up the front & rear on your ftm? what is the rear measurement on your ftm? (if it is the same as the x, it'll be 35.5mm)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I think you are correct. I emailed fox again to confirm and they said that the lower (rear) size is 35.5mm (where the shock goes into the rear triangle stuff). They also told me that the Rockstar uses a 22mm reducer for the upper (front) of the shock (where the shock goes into the frame). I know this is incorrect because this doesn't fit. I've asked Fox if a 30mm X 8mm reducer exists and if I can buy it directly from them.

Trying to find these reducers is tough. I live in the 7th largest city in the US and none of our LBSs carry these. Pricepoint has some sizes, but not the size I need.

Thank you for your help! I appreciate the info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Measure the shock you removed from the bike. That should answer your question.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yep. Shoulda done that before I sent it back to SRAM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Please post a back to back review of the SRAM against the Fox when you get it mounted and start riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    So... I went down to Home Depot and bought some washers. The hole is 8mm and the width of each washer is 1mm. I used 4 washers, which wasn't quite enough, so I added some "extra material" to make up the ~.5mm difference on each side. This should get me running until the correct size spacers arrive. Michael at Titus has been fantastic through this whole ordeal. Customer service is alive and well at Titus! I'm glad to hear this, because I was a bit scared with the whole "going out of business" and "takeover by On One" ordeal. The guys at Fox have also been really helpful. The spacers are called "reducers" in the Fox lexicon. When googling, it helps to know the correct term to find what you need. They can be purchased directly from Fox. PricePoint and Cambria Bike Outfitters also has them. PricePoint didn't have the size I needed, but Cambria did. 30mm X 8mm, part # 803-03-050. I really hope these fit.

I went for a short 1 hour ride yesterday to test out the kludge and the shock. As requested, here's my report: The Fox RP23 is much more active (lots of pedal bob) than the Monarch when I rode on the road (from house to trailhead). Even with ProPedal on, there was much more shock movement (yes, I set the sag, pressured it up, etc...). When riding on the road with the Monarch in wide-open mode (no propedal or lockout or whatever it's called), the Monarch is less active. On the trails, where it really matters, both shocks perform really well. The RP23 seems to eject me from the seat a bit more when I hit roots and rocks. I think that's called rebound. I dialed down the rebound adjuster and that seemed to fix the issue. Interestingly, I never felt that much rebound when the RP23 was on my X. Maybe it has something to do with the angle in which the shock fits into the frame on the 2 different bikes. The Monarch was custom-tuned for the Rockstar. The RP23 was not. I'd bet that if it were custom-tuned, the two shocks would perform similarly on road and dirt.

My 2 cents: Both shocks are great. I'd say it's a 49/51 split. I tend to lean a little towards the Monarch because of the lack of pedal bob on the road. However, I've had really bad problems with Sram components lately. In the past 9 months or so, I've broken a front derailleur cage (after 6 months of XC use), worn-out a ceramic bottom bracket (in 6 months, even with re-lubing it with their special grease every couple of months), busted a plastic tab thingy that provides tension to a spring inside a XX shifter (after about a year of use), busted a plastic tab thingy that provides tension to a spring inside a X0 rear derailleur (after 1 month of use), and now the shock (after 2 months of use). Sram customer service has been great and warrantied everything except the shifter. I don't think I'm abnormally hard on gear. Before I started using Sram components, I had a Gary Fisher Supercaliber with Shimano and Fox components. I rode that bike hard for 4 years without a problem. Not sure if I should chalk this up to a string of bad luck or if there are some QC issues at Sram as of late.