mtbr member

RP23 Sleeve Volume for Racer X 29er

Hey there everyone. I've got a Titus Racer X 29er, size Medium, that came fitted with a RP23 rear shock with the high volume air sleeve. I've got a 190-200 pound riding weight, and when riding I feel like the rear end is a little too squishy, even though I've got the sag set up appropriately for my weight. I also think the shock is frequently bottoming out on small drops (1' or so), with the O ring settling about 5mm from the end of the shock travel.

With a normal volume sleeve I believe the pressure would ramp up faster and thus the rear end would be a bit stiffer and harder to bottom out. I also believe that the Racer X 29ers had historically shipped with RP3s, and I believe those all had only a standard volume sleeve.

For those of you with Racer X 29ers and RP23s, what air sleeve do you have in place and what do you think of it? Also, what do you think about my possibly changing to a smaller volume sleeve?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Try shimming down the volume with ski base material or plastic from a cottage cheese container. Do a search on RP 23 mod on the Turner forum, I think there is a very detailed thread on it. Super easy to do, can be done in under 15 minutes.

mtbr member
    Here it is. One thing he forgets to mention is letting all the air out of the shock before you begin.
    http://bikes-bikes-bikes.blogspot.co...23-simple.html

mtbr member

bottom out

Quote Originally Posted by c0nsumer View Post
    Hey there everyone. I've got a Titus Racer X 29er, size Medium, that came fitted with a RP23 rear shock with the high volume air sleeve. I've got a 190-200 pound riding weight, and when riding I feel like the rear end is a little too squishy, even though I've got the sag set up appropriately for my weight. I also think the shock is frequently bottoming out on small drops (1' or so), with the O ring settling about 5mm from the end of the shock travel.

With a normal volume sleeve I believe the pressure would ramp up faster and thus the rear end would be a bit stiffer and harder to bottom out. I also believe that the Racer X 29ers had historically shipped with RP3s, and I believe those all had only a standard volume sleeve.

For those of you with Racer X 29ers and RP23s, what air sleeve do you have in place and what do you think of it? Also, what do you think about my possibly changing to a smaller volume sleeve?

Thanks!
    My RP didn't bottom until the ring fell off.

If it's harsh, maybe yours is different. Let the air out and push the saddle down till the shock bottoms, does the ring fall off?

Another option- make or buy one of these to decrease volume and use less pressure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJDOG View Post
    My RP didn't bottom until the ring fell off.

If it's harsh, maybe yours is different. Let the air out and push the saddle down till the shock bottoms, does the ring fall off?

Another option- make or buy one of these to decrease volume and use less pressure.
    Some sizes of float shox have a shorter stroke than what the inner tube (whatever it is called) is capable of moving. For example, the 7.785 x 2.0 inch shock looks pretty much identical to the 7.785 x 2.25 shock, the only difference is that the 2 inch stroke shock is stroke-limited, in that it won't bottom as deeply as the 2.25 shock. While the 2.25 shock will bottom at the end of the inner tube (and knock the o-ring off), the 2.0 shock will still have a quarter inch left of inner tube left at bottom out, so the o-ring will be left a quarter inch from the end (about 7mm). Does that bike use the 7.785 x 2.0 shock?

That new air volume spacer is news to me. Looks like a no-brainer for the OP. Solution found.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2 View Post
    Some sizes of float shox have a shorter stroke than what the inner tube (whatever it is called) is capable of moving. For example, the 7.785 x 2.0 inch shock looks pretty much identical to the 7.785 x 2.25 shock, the only difference is that the 2 inch stroke shock is stroke-limited, in that it won't bottom as deeply as the 2.25 shock. While the 2.25 shock will bottom at the end of the inner tube (and knock the o-ring off), the 2.0 shock will still have a quarter inch left of inner tube left at bottom out, so the o-ring will be left a quarter inch from the end (about 7mm). Does that bike use the 7.785 x 2.0 shock?

That new air volume spacer is news to me. Looks like a no-brainer for the OP. Solution found.
    I'm going to empty my shock and confirm that it's bottoming out without pushing the ring off, then if it is I'll give Fox a call and order the shim kit and a rebuild kit (provided it can work with my slightly older RP23).

I'm not actually sure if it's the 2.0" or 2.25" shock, and I'm having a bit of a hard time finding that right now. I don't see any markings on the shock which would indicate that, but I do know that I've never seen the ring closer to the end than ~.25", even after riding some larger (for me; 1' - 2') drops and getting a fair bit of air (1' or so) while riding.

I guess the best thing to do is measure, eh? But yeah, the shim kit is a no brainer. Way easier than replacing the air sleeve, and cheaper to boot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by c0nsumer View Post
    I'm going to empty my shock and confirm that it's bottoming out without pushing the ring off, then if it is I'll give Fox a call and order the shim kit and a rebuild kit (provided it can work with my slightly older RP23).

I'm not actually sure if it's the 2.0" or 2.25" shock, and I'm having a bit of a hard time finding that right now. I don't see any markings on the shock which would indicate that, but I do know that I've never seen the ring closer to the end than ~.25", even after riding some larger (for me; 1' - 2') drops and getting a fair bit of air (1' or so) while riding.

I guess the best thing to do is measure, eh? But yeah, the shim kit is a no brainer. Way easier than replacing the air sleeve, and cheaper to boot.
    I dunno much about your bike, how much rear wheel travel it has etc, but I'd be very surprised if the shock was a 7.785 x 2.25. It would be 7.785 x 2.0 AT MOST, or maybe a 6.5 x 1.50 if it was shorter travel like 80mm and/or a really small size frame. If it is 7.785 eye-to-eye, and your o-ring is often a quarter inch from the end, you are bottoming it. If it is the smaller 6.5" shock, I think those knock the o-ring off at bottom out.

mtbr member
    Just found those volume reducers while reading a review on an SX.

I used to shim the can w/ plastic . Fox should give a couple different ones w/ the shock in the first place!