Thread: RP23 Setup Help

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

RP23 Setup Help

I hate messing with shocks and would much rather just go out and ride, so I'm looking to see what kind of psi-to-rider weight people are using for a starting point, and which pro-pedal setting seems to work best on the ML on east coast rock/root/rollercoaster trails. I'm riding a small ML (1.5 shock stroke) and weigh around 180. Thanks in advance for doing my homework for me.

MC MasterShake
    I guess it depends on how rugged the trails are. In the Boston area the trails are extremely rugged. Newbies often comment that they feel like they've been using a jackhammer after about a 2 hour ride here. In these conditions I keep my propedal off completely. Our climbing is always technical so you need that suspension working for traction. I have my propedal set to the harshest for when I hit those fireroad and pavement trail connectors.

I weight about 160 w/gear and I have my PSI set to about 170psi. I wouldn't go by that though because I'm using a 4 year old Fox shock pump and who knows how accurate that thing is. I found the best way to start out is w/Propedal off, rebound dialed to the middle setting, pump it up to your riding weight and then sit on your bike and measure your sag. Play with the pressure until you get 1/2" sag. The key is to not bounce or jump off the bike when measuring to get it to be accurate. Then go for a full ride by yourself and bring your pump. Play with the pressure and rebound until it feels good.

Also keep in mind that there's a break-in period of a few good rides. Then you'll want to adjust after that as well. Once you go through all that you shouldn't have to mess with it again.

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    I will tell you what I discovered.
    I also ride the small ML. I have been on it for one month now. I weigh out at 160 ready to ride. With the RP23 I set the air pressure at 190 lb. Thatís 20 percent over my ride weight. I get 25 percent sag and I now put the Pro Peddle setting on number two.

All this after many trials and tribulations. Start with this but take you pump on the first few rides and experiment with the settings. Hope this helps!
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hmmm. I have ridden about 5 hours on my RX with an RP23. I weigh 190 loaded up. I dropped the pressure to 115 today and still only got about 2/3 of the stroke on a really rocky, rutty, technical descent. Sag looks good here, but I can't imagine much more pressure on a ride without some drops. I guess it should be set at a pressure that gives the most travel, with the right sag, on the biggest stuff you typically hit. Does the RP activate more easily on a motolite? I'll hit some bigger stuff in the next couple days and report.

G

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by orthorex
    Hmmm. I have ridden about 5 hours on my RX with an RP23. I weigh 190 loaded up. I dropped the pressure to 115 today and still only got about 2/3 of the stroke on a really rocky, rutty, technical descent. Sag looks good here, but I can't imagine much more pressure on a ride without some drops. I guess it should be set at a pressure that gives the most travel, with the right sag, on the biggest stuff you typically hit. Does the RP activate more easily on a motolite? I'll hit some bigger stuff in the next couple days and report.

G
    orthorex, the small and Xsmall ML has a smaller shock 6.5''x1.5'' and a higher leverage ratio. the set up is very different. and that works good for lighter riders. but, that is why thease guys are using high PSI.

I'm with you on a large or Med. you will use much much less PSI then you weight on a RX or ML in 4 inch mode.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Thanks for the Replies

The down side to being short and stocky....nothing is built for us, just 5'10 and 160 lbs riders. I'm going to try 140 PSI, which gives me Fox's recommended 9.5mm of sag for the shorter stroke shock while in the stand, and start off with the rebound 3 clicks in from full fast. If I get bounced off the bike after a good drop I guess I'll change it. If my teeth feel rattled from bouncing over roots I'll lower the pressure.
    I agree that ProPedal is more of a west coast thing and is going to be pretty useless on the east coast, execpt for family rides on greenways and bridal trails. Of course I've heard that what we call a greenway is considered sick singletrack out west