mtbr member
    Mar 2008

rp23 to dhx rc4 big difference?

Hi guys, i have a rp23 installed in my bike as of now and the small bump sensitivity is bad, i just couldnt set it up the way i like it (plush). i wonder if i change to dhx rc4 will the small bump sensitivity be alot better?

I tried my friend's SC Nomad and he has the dhx air, when i rode his bike the bumps on the trail were like erased!! Does the nomad really have a plusher feel than the el guapo? or its just because of his rear shock?

I really liked the super plush feel, its what im trying to do with my el guapo that i couldnt achieve. But there is also a downside, there was a wallowing feel so i think that wouldn't be great for long rides. I've also read in some treads saying that dhx air is easy to bottom out, so i guess dhx rc4 would be a better choice?

We don't have PUSH Industries here in our country so i couldn't send my rp23 there for upgrade... CCDB was also part of my choice but its really hard to find a dealer here in my country, so... i think it would be better to stick with FOX

RP23 to DHX RC4??
    Ibis MOJO 08
    Titus EL GUAPO 09

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hell yes it will make a difference. With the right shock the EG is very plush. I ran a push'd Monarch Plus and a DHX5 on my EG and both are very plush. I have a RP23 (push'd for my Nomad) that sucked on the EG and it only ok on the Nomad.

I guarantee the DHX with the right coil, small bump sensitivity will be great
    I would say finding the correct air shock is hit/miss, but a coil is alot more tuneable.

The EG with the right shock/tune with an angleset -1 degree pretty much equals the Nomad (the EG peddles a slight bit better). They are both outstanding bikes! Still trying to figure out which one to keep. If only my health would hold out (last month I've went through allergy sinus problems, achilles heel pull, two wisdom teeth out with a lengthy recovery, threw out my back, sinus infection, and a bad case of diarrhea).

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hay Chris. Give me a call. I stayed in a Holiday Inn last night.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Does the new DHX RC4 even fit on the EG? I remember them looking bigger

I wonder if these have different tunes like the RP23, velocity, rebound, cmpression etc.

mtbr member

Yes it does

Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJDOG View Post
    Does the new DHX RC4 even fit on the EG? I remember them looking bigger

I wonder if these have different tunes like the RP23, velocity, rebound, cmpression etc.
    seen it on a small 09 EG...

Tried the RC4 on a couple of diff bikes set to my weight and find it "overly plush"
    I'm guessing it has a bit of that softer mid stroke feel but unlike air the change is more linear. Can play around with the compression a bit but still too soft. Some friends I know went one up with the spring rate from what they usually use. Not sure if that should be the correct thing to do though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris9702l View Post
    Hell yes it will make a difference. With the right shock the EG is very plush. I ran a push'd Monarch Plus and a DHX5 on my EG and both are very plush. I have a RP23 (push'd for my Nomad) that sucked on the EG and it only ok on the Nomad.

I guarantee the DHX with the right coil, small bump sensitivity will be great
    I would say finding the correct air shock is hit/miss, but a coil is alot more tuneable.

The EG with the right shock/tune with an angleset -1 degree pretty much equals the Nomad (the EG peddles a slight bit better). They are both outstanding bikes! Still trying to figure out which one to keep. If only my health would hold out (last month I've went through allergy sinus problems, achilles heel pull, two wisdom teeth out with a lengthy recovery, threw out my back, sinus infection, and a bad case of diarrhea).
    Thanks for the reply! i'll just wait for the 2012 dhx rc4 with the kashima coat to arrive here in my country's fox dealer maybe a few more months of waiting ! hope your health gets better!
    Ibis MOJO 08
    Titus EL GUAPO 09

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den View Post
    seen it on a small 09 EG...

Tried the RC4 on a couple of diff bikes set to my weight and find it "overly plush"
    I'm guessing it has a bit of that softer mid stroke feel but unlike air the change is more linear. Can play around with the compression a bit but still too soft. Some friends I know went one up with the spring rate from what they usually use. Not sure if that should be the correct thing to do though.
    Did you get the right spring for each bike? On the EG with a DHX5 I need a 500lb spring for 30% sag, whereas the Nomad I need a 450lb spring.

mtbr member
    Did you get the right spring for each bike? On the EG with a DHX5 I need a 500lb spring for 30% sag, whereas the Nomad I need a 450lb spring.
    Was looking to change my DHX5 on the EG during that time....

One was a little tricky and had to do a bit of "mental compensation"-- heavier rider and spring used is one up from what I would spec if it was my bike.. I ridden the bike before and it actually felt much better when tried with the RC4, so I deduce under the owner's own weight, it wouldnt really be optimal.

Other was a Nomad, rider is about same weight as me, +/-5lbs so it was a matter of fine dialling on a 400lb spring.

Both bikes had DHX5 before and I tried them as well and hence there was a basis for comparison.Though have to say it wasnt like some detailed long term test, both were a matter of 8-12km bike swap to trash out sections where you know how you want the bike to perform under the right suspension and setups....

Finally settled on the Dueler after trying out a loaner from another buddy.
    It has a livelier springy feel like the RC4 on the initial part of the travel (the DHX felt a bit dead in that aspect) but further down the travel it holds with the firmness preferred esp on those stand up and pound sections..

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    how much is your weight? i weigh about 170 pounds while riding, what spring rate will i need to have a very plush ride without having too much pedal bob?
    Ibis MOJO 08
    Titus EL GUAPO 09

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_128 View Post
    how much is your weight? i weigh about 170 pounds while riding, what spring rate will i need to have a very plush ride without having too much pedal bob?
    Lots of springs are notorious for having a wide range of tolerance (up to +/-8% and a "400lb" spring could mean it is actually anywhere from 368 to 432lb)

If the spring tolerance is tight give a 400lb a try with a couple turns on the preload.

At the end of the day a spring is still a spring to get the correct initial sag-- the plush vs efficiency factor would boil down to the internals of the shock and how it interacts with the suspension design itself. That's how I see it, hope it makes sense.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I am still waitng for the 2012 dhx rc4 with kashima coat to arrive here in the local dealers, might still take a month or so... what if i consider the CCDB cause i've also read alot of nice reviews of it and the price difference isn't also that far from DHX rc4 ) so which would be better Dhx rc4 with kashima coat or the CCDB for the Titus El guapo?
    Ibis MOJO 08
    Titus EL GUAPO 09