Dec 2005

Roco by Night

Took the Roco Air for a night ride... just me and Marzocchi under the stars

It's a pillow but leaves some good scope for lot's of fun on the trail

It's impressive in the rough at speeds and felt good

Uses much less pressure than RP23

Rebound adjust great

Looks good

Sorry, not much to report as I will need a another ride or so to really see how it compares to a DHX C. So far very similiar to titusquasi and very happy with how it pedals. It's got that Marzocchi ready for action feel about it... Definitely like the bigger piston in this thing and using far less air than RP23. I like it better than the RP23 but not saying RP23 is bad either... just different in a good way. So far it has easily met my expectations for what little I paid for it A wallaby almost scared me off my bike coming around a corner... and I gave a poor possum temporary blindness !~!
    Last edited by All Mountain; 09-20-2007 at 10:32 PM.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Looking good!

ಠ_ಠ
    AM, in that 1st picture, if you look through your fork stanchions, it looks like your frame is out of alignment. Just an optical illusion I'm sure...

good eye duly... he took the pic a bit "to the left" of the central axis of the bike... so the BB looks as if it was towards one side...

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    good eye duly... he took the pic a bit "to the left" of the central axis of the bike... so the BB looks as if it was towards one side...
    Probably has to deal more with the fact that the fork is not pointing exactly straight, but as it's leaned against something, it's a bit pointing right (from rider's view), that makes it look also like if the fork was crooked at the steerer, but it really isn't.

Thanks for the review, AM... Keep it coming!

While we're at it, how does the Sturdy on the wet?
    Check my Site

Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Probably has to deal more with the fact that the fork is not pointing exactly straight, but as it's leaned against something, it's a bit pointing right (from rider's view), that makes it look also like if the fork was crooked at the steerer, but it really isn't.
    you are right.. I bet it was leaning by the handlebar against the wall..so the bar turned a tiny bit..

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    you were all obviously blinded by the beauty of the Italian fork...

poor downtube does have a few dents and maybe the continual 30' hucks put the frame out of alignment

sturdy's need low pressure in the wet or it slides easily on the big fat centre moto lugs

real tough sidewalls allow low pressure but really it's slippery on wet wood

sheesh crissie... I already know I'm good lookin' !~!

Thanks mates !~! Hopefully we can hear back from titusquasi and i will keep us informed being as non-biased as i am

Paper or plastic?
    I wonder how the Rocco would perform on a small frame with the 6.5x1.5 shock. I noticed that Marz makes the Rocco in that size too. Hmmm... Would be interesting.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    I wonder how the Rocco would perform on a small frame with the 6.5x1.5 shock. I noticed that Marz makes the Rocco in that size too. Hmmm... Would be interesting.
    Sounds like the ticket... The adjustability is there.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I think it would be real good. If you can get one at the cheap deal it's such a bargain. You must be able to live with no lockout or heavy compression... or wait for 08 models. I don't have enough time on mine to see how this compares with RP23 and DHX C propedal adjustability and where or what level the roco feels comparable too. The negative adjustment sounds real cool, but will not try it until I get a few more rides in stock configuration.

Paper or plastic?
    The lack of lockout/propedal does not really bother me. The heavy compression: what do you think it would do?

Basically, on a small frame, the higher leverage makes the shock not too compliant on small bumps if you want it firm enough so as not to wallow while climbing (i.e. 190 psi on a RP3 for 165# rider). So, I'm wondering if a lower psi shock would work better on a high leverage bike without giving too much in the pedalibility (ma, look a new word!) section. Any idea?

ಠ_ಠ
    The lack of lockout/propedal does not really bother me. The heavy compression: what do you think it would do?

Basically, on a small frame, the higher leverage makes the shock not too compliant on small bumps if you want it firm enough so as not to wallow while climbing (i.e. 190 psi on a RP3 for 165# rider). So, I'm wondering if a lower psi shock would work better on a high leverage bike without giving too much in the pedalibility (ma, look a new word!) section. Any idea?
    I'd say it's definitely worth a try!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    heavy compression... I was meaning to firm the thing up via compression adjust (like TST) for the long climbs. I know Chris90210 & FM like this feature.

The roco air has a bigger piston so less pressure and would help you out. Maybe not the wisest idea for a light rider on a medium with 2" stroke, but an advantage to you on a small. Just have to get my head around just how much compression damping is in this thing compared to the Fox's I've used. It seems light so far but just enough.... but still fiddling with air pressure and rebound as is 'breaks' in. I use heaps less pressure than I did with RP23.

Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain

sheesh crissie... I already know I'm good lookin' !~!
    LOL

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Smile Roco-Motion under the lights

This is one bonzer of an Italian shock absorber I still can't believe how little it cost compared to it's performance.

Did something highly unusual and rode two nights in a row. If i'm not careful you might mistake me for Blackie . I'm not fit enough for all this riding. It was this air shock that got me going under the lights again in the cold and alone in the woods in the dark night with no moon.

This shock is puzzling... it pedals far better than I expected... but really it's attached to a Titus which could make an RST feel good . I had it set at 125 psi so I stopped and increase to 130 psi to get maybe 10 mm sag and see how it behaves. I was running around 170 in the RP23 standard sleeve... very nice not needing to all that pressure anymore. So I thought 10mm should make it pretty rigid in some rougher singletrack. Well wasn't I surprise for most of it I was floating on Titus goodness. I used around 41 to 42 mm of the shock with no drops or jumps just some rough stuff. It felt super tight and complaint except felt the harshness in more abrupt terrain. That's impressive with 10mm sag out of 50mm stroke. I locked the fork and went up a long climb on a dirt road (just a moderate pitch) and it felt like I was on a hardtail. Just a hint of movement.

When I dropped pressure to 125 psi it still climbed well. Titus suspension is so good. I did not go up any real steep rough pitches on this ride to test out the mid-stroke. The DHX C treated me far better in the mid stroke that RP23 ever did. This air plunger is real cushy but so composed. I prefer it over the RP23. I still can't offer much compared to the DHX C except that going down a section of steep rough patch I thought the DHX C performed smoother. In the singletrack I liked the Roco Air better . I will have to get this thing in some more rough stuff at speeds to really test it. The RP23 fell down in this respect and the DHX C was better. I now have high hopes for the Roco Air now. Rebound at slow is molasses. I am now set at 6 or 7 clicks from fast (out of 25).

The shock loosened up more during the second ride. I wonder how many ducks nuts it will get ?~?

My new XC setup felt good. I took off the 70 stem and put on the 90. Lowered the fork down to 140mm travel and took some oil out of ETA side to use more travel easier. At a big bottom it has about 148 to 149mm total travel. I used only 137mm on this ride. I felt it bob more due to the changes when TST is open.

Nice report AM! It seems the Roco is a "hidden treasure"

banned
    I'm still wondering about picking one up for my RFX. I'm still concerned about the rebuilds and tunability, which is being promised by Zoke and a basis for my thoughts of purchasing it. However, $137 can't be beat. I'd basically split a bit of the difference in weight between the DHXc and an RP23, which is not a concern. I don't really use propedal and this has a large air chamber, while my frame is slightly falling rate, so I have a theory that the slight falling rate coupled with the slight progressivity of the large air chamber might mate pretty well.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    This is one bonzer of an Italian shock absorber I still can't believe how little it cost compared to it's performance.

Did something highly unusual and rode two nights in a row. If i'm not careful you might mistake me for Blackie . I'm not fit enough for all this riding. It was this air shock that got me going under the lights again in the cold and alone in the woods in the dark night with no moon.

This shock is puzzling... it pedals far better than I expected... but really it's attached to a Titus which could make an RST feel good . I had it set at 125 psi so I stopped and increase to 130 psi to get maybe 10 mm sag and see how it behaves. I was running around 170 in the RP23 standard sleeve... very nice not needing to all that pressure anymore. So I thought 10mm should make it pretty rigid in some rougher singletrack. Well wasn't I surprise for most of it I was floating on Titus goodness. I used around 41 to 42 mm of the shock with no drops or jumps just some rough stuff. It felt super tight and complaint except felt the harshness in more abrupt terrain. That's impressive with 10mm sag out of 50mm stroke. I locked the fork and went up a long climb on a dirt road (just a moderate pitch) and it felt like I was on a hardtail. Just a hint of movement.

When I dropped pressure to 125 psi it still climbed well. Titus suspension is so good. I did not go up any real steep rough pitches on this ride to test out the mid-stroke. The DHX C treated me far better in the mid stroke that RP23 ever did. This air plunger is real cushy but so composed. I prefer it over the RP23. I still can't offer much compared to the DHX C except that going down a section of steep rough patch I thought the DHX C performed smoother. In the singletrack I liked the Roco Air better . I will have to get this thing in some more rough stuff at speeds to really test it. The RP23 fell down in this respect and the DHX C was better. I now have high hopes for the Roco Air now. Rebound at slow is molasses. I am now set at 6 or 7 clicks from fast (out of 25).

The shock loosened up more during the second ride. I wonder how many ducks nuts it will get ?~?

My new XC setup felt good. I took off the 70 stem and put on the 90. Lowered the fork down to 140mm travel and took some oil out of ETA side to use more travel easier. At a big bottom it has about 148 to 149mm total travel. I used only 137mm on this ride. I felt it bob more due to the changes when TST is open.
    Great review AM, you techy tasmanian..... Great feedback. Sounds like a winner, be scared Fox
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I'm still wondering about picking one up for my RFX. I'm still concerned about the rebuilds and tunability, which is being promised by Zoke and a basis for my thoughts of purchasing it. However, $137 can't be beat. I'd basically split a bit of the difference in weight between the DHXc and an RP23, which is not a concern. I don't really use propedal and this has a large air chamber, while my frame is slightly falling rate, so I have a theory that the slight falling rate coupled with the slight progressivity of the large air chamber might mate pretty well.
    JC
    Just buy one already. Too much thinkin', not enough livin'.
    Extreme stationary biker.

banned
    Ja ja ja...

I know, but what I don't like is going too far with the redundancy. I'll need to pack light for next year, so to speak, and I'm actually reducing the amount of things I have at this point. That's one of the big reasons I'm looking for something that's serviceable and reliable.

As for now, the DHXc is user serviceable, with all that's left is for me to try it. The main hinderence is the N2 charge which doesn't exist on the DHX, but the ROCO appears to have one, severely nixing an idea to charge it. I can get adapters and do it with air, but that's not optimal.

"Its All Good"
    Dam, 137 USD is a great price for a shock, get one even to play with. But yes hear you on having to reduce your gear etc. Had the same issue coming to Spain... 4 bikes and a stand and tool box. Made the removals people laugh
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Paper or plastic?
    Thanks. That indeed sounds like the ticket, even if it's not helping curing my UGI.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I'll need to pack light for next year, so to speak, and I'm actually reducing the amount of things I have at this point.
    Ahhh, now I think remembering reading that you're travelling...Germany is it? Perfect! Just take the Roco with you...if all else fails, you can unscrew the canister and fill it with frosty Munich lager.

An Italian made beer stein...so chic!
    Extreme stationary biker.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Ahhh, now I think remembering reading that you're travelling...Germany is it? Perfect! Just take the Roco with you...if all else fails, you can unscrew the canister and fill it with frosty Munich lager.

An Italian made beer stein...so chic!

hahaha

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Dam, 137 USD is a great price for a shock, get one even to play with. But yes hear you on having to reduce your gear etc. Had the same issue coming to Spain... 4 bikes and a stand and tool box. Made the removals people laugh
    Thanks Whafe

I originally got it just to 'play' and I think I might end up keeping it on.

Have you thought about getting an Exogrid Eleven ?~? A nice super light build... I bet it would be fun fun fun...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast