mtbr member

Rockstar test sled?

DSP sent me the new shorter "freeride" Dueler to test on the Rockstar, its a 7.875"x2.25" with a 400 lb x 2.25 Kronos Ti spring. Should be interesting with a coil on an XC race bike. Add the dropper post too, I better be careful I might start jumping the thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rockstar test sled?-p1020943.jpg  

Rockstar test sled?-p1020942.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    ... I better be careful I might start jumping the thing.
    and you might wanna be careful with the tyre hitting the seat tube at bottom out. Doesn't the rockstar have a 2 inch stroke stock shock?

mtbr member
    Ha...you are right, I got fooled that the exposed shaft was 2 3/8" long so I thought it was 2.25". I cycled it without a spring to full bottom out and it didnt rub.

screamer
    First time for everything: Coil shock + bottle cage. What's next: core saver and Lycra shorts? Dual crown + bar ends?
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member

Purely for testing purposes

Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post
    First time for everything: Coil shock + bottle cage. What's next: core saver and Lycra shorts? Dual crown + bar ends?
    I have to make sure the new shock works, all the adjustments work, that the seals dont sweat or leak. It was the only bike I had that takes the 7.875" shock. But at a recent DH race I did see a pro rider wearing lycra w/ a core saver and full body armor and at Interbike I saw a guy with a leatt and an xc lid.

what's that rattle?
    Every time I see that bike it's looking more like your El Guapo! Will Titus let you strip the paint??

Please let us know how the overshocked 4.5" Rockstar feels.

mtbr member
    I've tried to get a more AM feel to the cockpit but right now the dropper post and coil shock are just for testing, its an updated Bighorn dropper post too, just need to test them out. For the record, I'm purely riding trails on this bike, I wont take it past its intended use.

mtbr member
    So had a very interesting test ride this morning. The bike with the dropper post and coil shock is getting a bit porky at 29.75 lbs. I could definitely feel a lack of snappiness with the added weight and the lack of LS compression in the coil shock. Felt like I had a low tire or really tired legs. I clawed up techy climbs much better then the air shock and soaked up small square edge bumps like you would expect it to. Nothing like the feeling of coiled titanium! But the lack of snapiness just kills me on the 29r. When I hit the DH portion of the trails the rear end just came alive and made the fork feel totally inadequate. Rear end was glued to the trail but the front was getting deflected and bounced all over, I actually almost washed out the front 2 or 3 times. Clearly the shock out classes the fork by a huge margin. I hit some big g outs and it never bottomed but the last 1/2" of stroke on the shock are all hard rubber bumper, so I doubt I even got close to the extra 1/4" of stroke.