ballbuster

Rockstar.... RS Monarch vs. RP23

Hey all,

I'm getting ready to upgrade from my RX29er (great frame, btw) to a Rockstar for a bit moar travel. I can buy the frame with the tuned Rockshox Monarch RT3 shock from Titus, or get a new or near new Fox RP23 off ebay for about the same price.

My RacerX29er has a large can RP23, and I think it's a fabulous shock. That said, an RP23 won't be tuned specifically for the Rockstar frame like the Monarch... not that I'm sure what they actually do to 'tune' it. Seems to me the only thing to tune might be to adjust the rebound, or something. If the stock shock is out of that range, I can use heavier or lighter damper oil, right?

In the past... pre SRAM days, Rockshox rear shocks were pretty weaksauce. How are they now? Will a Monarch be in the same ballpark as an RP23? Is the Monarch worth considering.

BTW, Im having a hard time finding out the size shock I should use. Is it a 7 7/8" x 2" or 2.25"?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    The "tune thing" in many ways is crap. It is basically, a shock "picked" to fit the frame and frame style. I think if you went with a correctly picked RP23, you would be ok. May want to talk with titus to see what they recommend. Others may chime in here as well. I have no idea and the newer RP23 have lots of gadgets and stuff.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member

Re: Rockstar.... RS Monarch vs. RP23

The monarch feels out of the box like a "pushed" rp23... IMHO a much better shock.

mtbr member
    I think the Monarch tune for the Rockstar Carbon is spot on. It also has a complete lockout, something the RP23 wont have.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    I think the Monarch tune for the Rockstar Carbon is spot on. It also has a complete lockout, something the RP23 wont have.
    I have an RP23 on the RX29er. It basically has three levels of ProPedal, Low, medium and High. On high, it is basically locked out, but a big hit will open it up. There is an on/off switch to turn ProPedal on and off. So, set the three way ProPedal to High, and using the switch to turn it on and off is basically a lockout.

Too bad the RP23 I have is the wrong size for a Rockstar.

I was looking at the Monarch, and was wondering how it does lockout. Is it basically like a Reba Motion control fork, where you just turn the leave the Gate turned up all the way, the use the compression damping to turn it on and off? That works well on the Reba.

I'm glad to hear that the Monarch is at least a decent shock. I would love to hear more opinions on it. I read some of the reviews on the Monarch, and they range from 'Good' to 'Meh', but not bad.

mtbr member
    It has three positions just like the old RP3, one lockout, one firm with a blow off for big hits, and a full open position. There is no floodgate.

ballbuster
    It has three positions just like the old RP3, one lockout, one firm with a blow off for big hits, and a full open position. There is no floodgate.
    Oh, okay... makes sense. So there are two controls (apart from air pressure), right? One is the three way lever, and the other is a rebound damper dial?

Can somebody tell me if how big a concern the 'tune' thing is? Also, is 7 7/8" x 2" the correct shock size for a V1 Rockstar?

.... and after browsing the SRAM website, I still can't find any info on how the shock works. I can find service interval charts and service manuals, but no operation manuals.

mtbr member
    Tune is really important. I just checked the monarch on my Carbon Rockstar and it is a 200mmx51mm (7 7/8 x 2), the tune is "LL" The Titus suspension has a very low leverage rate requiring a low compression tune, hence the "L". They used to be just low, mid, & high, I'm guessing the second "L" is for the rebound tune. A high leverage rate would be something like a DW link or Maestro. I dont know for certain but I'm pretty sure the V1 has the same size shock. Are you aware that the V1 Rockstar's dont come with a rear shock for $750? You can get a V2 for just $280 more with the Monarch.

ballbuster
    Tune is really important. I just checked the monarch on my Carbon Rockstar and it is a 200mmx51mm (7 7/8 x 2), the tune is "LL" The Titus suspension has a very low leverage rate requiring a low compression tune, hence the "L". They used to be just low, mid, & high, I'm guessing the second "L" is for the rebound tune. A high leverage rate would be something like a DW link or Maestro. I dont know for certain but I'm pretty sure the V1 has the same size shock. Are you aware that the V1 Rockstar's dont come with a rear shock for $750? You can get a V2 for just $280 more with the Monarch.
    Yeah, but I can't put a modern Lefty with fixed clamps on the Rockstar V2 with the 24" TT, unless I find a Lefty off of an XL frame... which are super rare on the used market... plus, I already own a fixed clamp Lefty. My Singlespeed bike has a tall headtube, and I have an older movable clamp Lefty on there with XL P321 clamps. The V1 Medium Rockstar has a 4.25" head tube, which barely fits the Lefty. I gotta have my 24" TT at least, for my freakishly long arms for my height. The V2 is either too short in the TT, but fits the Lefty, or a good length in the Large with too big a head tube, so no Lefty.

I know, the V2 ends up being only like $50 more when you calculate the shock, so the V1 is hardly a rock bottom blowout price over the V2. Then again, the Rockstar is such a good deal to begin with, especially compared to a Tallboy Alu frame, or Pivot 429.

So yeah... maybe my best bet is to take a chance on the Rockshox rear shock... or find the large can to go with an RP23.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 05-29-2013 at 10:44 PM.

ballbuster
    Trigger -> pulled.

Now I gotta figure out this headset thing. What were they smoking? 1.5 regular cup bottom, and a 1 1/8" IS on top? Rats. I don't have either of those. Don't make me buy another headset. I have like three spare Cane Creek S3s. Plus, silver seems to be hard to find.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    1.5 regular cup bottom, and a 1 1/8" IS on top?
    Is there really an integrated top cup in those aluminum rockstar frames? I thought Titus only did the integrated cups on the carbon frames

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2 View Post
    Is there really an integrated top cup in those aluminum rockstar frames? I thought Titus only did the integrated cups on the carbon frames
    No, wait... correction,

It looks like a Zero Stack 1 1/8" top, not an IS.

Still, this is a pain to find in silver and low stack height top. As far as I can tell, it's only the Cane Creek 110 that has all of this ($$$)

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Rockstar.... RS Monarch vs. RP23

No, wait... correction,

Still, this is a pain to find in silver and low stack height top. As far as I can tell, it's only the Cane Creek 110 that has all of this ($$$)
    ZS44 top
    EC49 bottom
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You could also use a zero stack lower head set. It will fit 1-1/8 if you were using a straight steerer, dunno if it would fit 1.5 tapered. That might help fitting a lefty on the longer head tube, but it will drop the front slighty and steepen it a tiny bit - which might or might not suit you.

mtbr member
    No, wait... correction,

Cant expect to change frames, especially to a frame that I am sure was not designed around a Lefty and not have to purchase something new.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2 View Post
    You could also use a zero stack lower head set. It will fit 1-1/8 if you were using a straight steerer, dunno if it would fit 1.5 tapered. That might help fitting a lefty on the longer head tube, but it will drop the front slighty and steepen it a tiny bit - which might or might not suit you.
    The zero-stack only takes a straight 1 1/8. My new fork is a taper and that's why needed a change. Diff is ~9-10mm
    Good thing about the external cup is 1 1/8 or taper-- just need to swap to the correct sized crown race.

Rockstar.... RS Monarch vs. RP23-20130602_161816.jpg

ballbuster
    Cant expect to change frames, especially to a frame that I am sure was not designed around a Lefty and not have to purchase something new.
    Meh... I think the Lefty will be fine. It was fine on my RacerX29er, but that has a traditional headset. Being the head tubes are the same length, and the top cup on the Rockstar is recessed with less stack height, I think it will have more room than the RX29er... probably by about 6-8mm, my guess. I don't wanna give up my Lefty if I can help it. It is sooooo much better than any other fork I've owned.

I got the frame today, and I can't wait to build it up. I manned up and got the Cane Creek 110 headset in silver. I realized I have a spare Chris King traditional headset in my parts bin I can craigslist to finance it... pretty much a straight across trade, hopefullly. Anyway, I supposed I have to wait a week before it shows up.

I'm digging the color. The dark blue looks swank. I thought it was black by the pics, and I'm pleasantly surprised. The graphics are not under clear coat of any kind, so I wonder how long they will last before they get boogered up. I guess I can peel them off when they get thrashed. It's surprising how little model specific information is out there on this... pretty much just a geo chart, clamp size and seatpost size. There is nothing out there on the shock, but that shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

BTW, Actual weight is 2820 grams, or 6.2 pounds.... about the same as my RX29er, IIRC. Comes with a bolt seatpost clamp in silver, but no manual or paperwork whatsoever... apart from the receipt. I guess I'm on my own to figure out shock pressure, but it shouldn't be too hard to shoot for 15-20% sag.