mtbr member

Riding in 4 inch mode on both ends

I sent my 130mm travel Manitou fork off to the guys a GarageWorks suspension to have it tuned, turns out the whole rebound dial assembly was broken, as the shaft wasnt attached to the gizmo that opens or closes the valve that makes the rebound faster or slower, it was at full slow. Anyway, I put a 100mm travel Marzochhi fork on that was on my Fuel and switched the rear to the 4 inch mode. I had to drop 30psi out of the RP3 to get the proper sag. It definately pedaled much firmer. Steering was much faster, and it seemed that I was in a more stretched out riding position, kinda like the cross country bikes of old. It climbed like a mountain goat on steroids!!! I always thought it climbed great before, but that little bit of front end wandering was gone, the thing tracked like a rollercoaster going up. Going down felt a little sketchy at first, but I got used to it, it was a little less forgiving with the steeper head angle but by no means a twitchy XC racer. Kinda nice to no that the ML is so versatile, kinda like two genres of bike in one.

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    I sent my 130mm travel Manitou fork off to the guys a GarageWorks suspension to have it tuned, turns out the whole rebound dial assembly was broken, as the shaft wasnt attached to the gizmo that opens or closes the valve that makes the rebound faster or slower, it was at full slow. Anyway, I put a 100mm travel Marzochhi fork on that was on my Fuel and switched the rear to the 4 inch mode. I had to drop 30psi out of the RP3 to get the proper sag. It definately pedaled much firmer. Steering was much faster, and it seemed that I was in a more stretched out riding position, kinda like the cross country bikes of old. It climbed like a mountain goat on steroids!!! I always thought it climbed great before, but that little bit of front end wandering was gone, the thing tracked like a rollercoaster going up. Going down felt a little sketchy at first, but I got used to it, it was a little less forgiving with the steeper head angle but by no means a twitchy XC racer. Kinda nice to no that the ML is so versatile, kinda like two genres of bike in one.

Yes, at 4x4 it's really racey. It really shines in 4" mode with about 110mm up front IMO...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I really like the ML in the 4" mode. I was very skeptical that the ML would ride great in both the 4 and 5 inch mode. I was pleasantly surprised.

"Its All Good"
    Real good to hear this, for that odd race if my skinny A can get to one.... One of the reasons for me going to the ML, like to have that option up my sleeve.............
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"