Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Ti is addictive

Revisiting Shimano

Any of you SRAMaholics ever go back to Shimano.......I've been a Shimano boy for over a decade, and only went SRAM since last year........nice stuff, but I miss my Rapidfire plus shifters. This would be for one of my HT's only, I went SRAM only cause I wanted to avoid the bangin and clankin of the derailler to Horst linkage.

Feedback would be great............pappa needs some new toys and I feel like goin back to an old friend in Shimano.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Any of you SRAMaholics ever go back to Shimano.......I've been a Shimano boy for over a decade, and only went SRAM since last year........nice stuff, but I miss my Rapidfire plus shifters. This would be for one of my HT's only, I went SRAM only cause I wanted to avoid the bangin and clankin of the derailler to Horst linkage.

Feedback would be great............pappa needs some new toys and I feel like goin back to an old friend in Shimano.
    No nostalgia for Shimano here... Sorry.
    Check my Site

Paper or plastic?
    The 08 XT hydro brakes look sweet.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Ti is addictive
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    The 08 XT hydro brakes look sweet.

Yeah, thinkin of a whole groupo, wheels too........for the HCR

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

sweet.. I am waiting for the shadow RD to show up in shops... cranks and shifters are already available around here..

I have tried the SRAM shifters and RD...they are sweet but my XT RD seems to hold its adjustment pretty well (I wonder if the mechanic has to do with it ) and it costs less than half than x9 around this parts

mtbr member

People used to hate Shimano for dominating the market, going 9 speed and than trying to "still" the breaks from Avid and others by going the sily dual controls. This is was good at the time as a healthy consumer approach. I think Shimano has lost some erogance since and went back in track with new and good products as well. SRAM is no cheap to say the laest and it's not nearly as smooth as Shimano (comparing XT to X9). I tryed the X9 several times but always thought XT was way nicer (and I don't like the push push as well).
    As for the banging of RD in the HL, it's a known issue with Titus I remember from the Racer X. I thought that SRAM should eliminate that but understood from the Titus dealer that it just minimize it. I still see some people using tube cuts in between to eliminate the banging with SRAM as well.
    Shimano XT is great for me since 97 (both 8 and 9 speed)

the train keeps rollin
    I just mounted my first Sram Derailleur (x0) and Shifter (x9), I'm not overly impressed, shifting seems quite a bit more clunky than XTR. Thumb thumb, seems dumb dumb, but hey, I need to give it a chance though, change is not always easy.

I think the new 970 xtr groupo is the Bomb! From what I've seen, the new XTR rear derailleur sits much further away from the chainstay, the clank should not be much of an issue. I've felt the brakes mounted, seem super smooth. I have the cranks, nice...

Pimp your ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    have always been a shimano boy. my last hard tail was fully xtr, and my latest khs came with x9, converted back to xt after the first try around the car back. my dad just bought the full xtr groupset during his last stay out here. Initailly worried it was a a fake , due to the price, now fully happy after, a welsh mech installed at his lbh. I don't like the X9 shiters and transitions don't appear as sweat. However, not tanked down a trail..... Very temped with the bling XO factor.... but have you seen the new ti/carbon disks in the July MBUK . $600 .... WIll Scan tomorrow... Bling de Bling ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I tried XTR shifters and front and rear ders. on my MotoLite for a little while. Like two rides worth. Went back to SRAM and won't look back as long as I have this bike. A new ride might make me rethink that. Going to be a while before that happens though.

cheers,
    simp

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by simplton
    I tried XTR shifters and front and rear ders. on my MotoLite for a little while. Like two rides worth. Went back to SRAM and won't look back as long as I have this bike. A new ride might make me rethink that. Going to be a while before that happens though.

cheers,
    simp
    sram , just didn't have the nice click factor for me. could have been the set up.? Just my short experience. My '99 Xtr back der, XT front , XTR shifters/breaks, XTR V breaks, LX Crank still going strong, altough my XT BB does need a change. I do take care of my bikes, but good ware and tare, none the less. My Dad still has a nice Camp roadie group set, running from the 70s. Going to give it a good burn, when I am back next week in , Belgium. He also has a a few old style GTs, hard and soft to play with in unpolluted air(the Ht has full 08 XTR ). Photos to be posted in September. Hope I can still post these as not quite yet a Titus owner..But will also post my new Moto 2 in September. Still in a quand over the forks. New maz 55, but will have to wait until October or talas 32 rlc 07. will prob go with talas as good price and my wife will flip with the extra 200 for the new maz. however, if the fox go wrong; will have to ship to singapore for fixing...My LBS has all the Maz parts, but not convinced they know what to do with them. Quand indeed, but a nice one.Sorry about the ramble, had a few too many sherbets , as school breaks tomorrow, for the summer. I am a teacher BTW. Best Mtbr forum around. Oh for an EXCO. Waiting fo the UK inlfux..

Ti is addictive
    Well its the push push thing that I hate, I hated it when Shimano did it 15 years ago, and I still hate it today...........

Shimano when working well is smooth as butta........little too smooth on 960 XTR I tried.....but I heard the X70 series shimano is a bit more distinct (not clang clang like XRAM tho........)

Saw a decent price on a decent build kit.....(sorry, not the barn tho.....but I need to spread the love tho.........)

Haven't bought anything since December and losing my rep around here also has inspired me to "upgrade"

Nothing better to do while one of my rides is on holiday in Arizona back at the mothership

Trophy Husband
    Nothing better to do while one of my rides is on holiday in Arizona back at the mothership
    Lifetime warranty....sweet!
    Extreme stationary biker.

Well its the push push thing that I hate, I hated it when Shimano did it 15 years ago, and I still hate it today...........

Shimano when working well is smooth as butta........little too smooth on 960 XTR I tried.....but I heard the X70 series shimano is a bit more distinct (not clang clang like XRAM tho........)

Saw a decent price on a decent build kit.....(sorry, not the barn tho.....but I need to spread the love tho.........)

Haven't bought anything since December and losing my rep around here also has inspired me to "upgrade"

What happened to it, Ti?

I am liking the thumb-thumb on the 07 XTs (but I still occasionally use the index, when out of the saddle)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dareverend
    sram , just didn't have the nice click factor for me. could have been the set up.? Just my short experience. My '99 Xtr back der, XT front , XTR shifters/breaks, XTR V breaks, LX Crank still going strong, altough my XT BB does need a change. I do take care of my bikes, but good ware and tare, none the less. My Dad still has a nice Camp roadie group set, running from the 70s. Going to give it a good burn, when I am back next week in , Belgium. He also has a a few old style GTs, hard and soft to play with in unpolluted air(the Ht has full 08 XTR ). Photos to be posted in September. Hope I can still post these as not quite yet a Titus owner..But will also post my new Moto 2 in September. Still in a quand over the forks. New maz 55, but will have to wait until October or talas 32 rlc 07. will prob go with talas as good price and my wife will flip with the extra 200 for the new maz. however, if the fox go wrong; will have to ship to singapore for fixing...My LBS has all the Maz parts, but not convinced they know what to do with them. Quand indeed, but a nice one.Sorry about the ramble, had a few too many sherbets , as school breaks tomorrow, for the summer. I am a teacher BTW. Best Mtbr forum around. Oh for an EXCO. Waiting fo the UK inlfux..

No doubt the Shimano stuff lasts. I still have a bike with an XT group, including thumbshifters, short cage rear der, front der, canti brakes, etc, that works like it did back in '91. As far as the "shifting feel" goes, I guess it's just a matter of personal preference as you point out. I prefer the solid engagement feel of the SRAM stuff to the "I've just shifted but you really only know it 'cuz you pushed the button" feel of the Shimano stuff. FWIW, I'm still using an XT front der. on my ML and it works flawlessly!

cheers,
    simp

Ti is addictive
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Lifetime warranty....sweet!

Yeah...........I guess

Ti is addictive
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    What happened to it, Ti?

I am liking the thumb-thumb on the 07 XTs (but I still occasionally use the index, when out of the saddle)

Out of respect for Titus, will not say till things are resolved..............

Unfortunately I haven't tried any new shimano shifters other then Dual control (which I hated), but my friend let me try his new 970 equipped bike and I was green with envy.

Out of respect for Titus, will not say till things are resolved..............

I respect that

Unfortunately I haven't tried any new shimano shifters other then Dual control (which I hated), but my friend let me try his new 970 equipped bike and I was green with envy.

yeah.. having the option of using thumb or index is great.. a buddy of mine has the xtrs too..and they are very sweet

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Unfortunately I haven't tried any new shimano shifters other then Dual control (which I hated
    A buddy of mine has dual control on his ride. Frankly, I don't know he can ride it. Just cruisin' around the block on it was enough to let me formulate my opinion.....

A buddy of mine has dual control on his ride. Frankly, I don't know he can ride it. Just cruisin' around the block on it was enough to let me formulate my opinion.....
    I rode DC for about 2 years... you get used to it like anything else...actually feels good with the "reversed" RDs... but the brake feeling was what made me switch...not the shifting...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    I rode DC for about 2 years... you get used to it like anything else...actually feels good with the "reversed" RDs... but the brake feeling was what made me switch...not the shifting...
    You're right. In all fairness, I didn't give it much of a try. But I can't imagine having to "get used" to anything. I fear change.....

Ti is addictive
    You're right. In all fairness, I didn't give it much of a try. But I can't imagine having to "get used" to anything. I fear change.....

Don't fear the reaper.............

Paper or plastic?
    Argghh....
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Ultimated Outsider
    I been using shimano parts since XT had seven speeds and thumb shifter. I have use all four version of XTR and the only thing I did not like was the Low normal 960 RD. I actually like the DCL specially with the 950 XTR Top normal RD, but I went back to 970 XTR Rapifire shifter and derailleurs when I built my ML and I really do like the way it works. I also like that its backward compatable so that I could use the old 960 disk brakes, cranks and cassette. Now the shadow look really promising but I am not sure about that carbon cage it got. I have not try the Sram XO stuff so I cannot comment on it,

Master of None
    I have used Saint and XT rear ders and they work pretty good. I just switched to 2007 SRAM x.9 shifters and rear der and I'm really diggin' it. The thumb-thumb is nicer for me because my index is always on the brake lever. The action of the shifters is very positive and concise. The rear der is a little cheap looking and there is some play in the cage pivot but it works well so far.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast