Results 1 to 76 of 76
  1. #1
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894

    Revisiting Shimano

    Any of you SRAMaholics ever go back to Shimano.......I've been a Shimano boy for over a decade, and only went SRAM since last year........nice stuff, but I miss my Rapidfire plus shifters. This would be for one of my HT's only, I went SRAM only cause I wanted to avoid the bangin and clankin of the derailler to Horst linkage.

    Feedback would be great............pappa needs some new toys and I feel like goin back to an old friend in Shimano.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

  2. #2
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,841
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Any of you SRAMaholics ever go back to Shimano.......I've been a Shimano boy for over a decade, and only went SRAM since last year........nice stuff, but I miss my Rapidfire plus shifters. This would be for one of my HT's only, I went SRAM only cause I wanted to avoid the bangin and clankin of the derailler to Horst linkage.

    Feedback would be great............pappa needs some new toys and I feel like goin back to an old friend in Shimano.
    No nostalgia for Shimano here... Sorry.
    Check my Site

  3. #3
    Paper or plastic?
    Reputation: zorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,956
    The 08 XT hydro brakes look sweet.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

  4. #4
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    The 08 XT hydro brakes look sweet.

    Yeah, thinkin of a whole groupo, wheels too........for the HCR
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

  5. #5
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,804
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Yeah, thinkin of a whole groupo, wheels too........for the HCR

    sweet.. I am waiting for the shadow RD to show up in shops... cranks and shifters are already available around here..

    I have tried the SRAM shifters and RD...they are sweet but my XT RD seems to hold its adjustment pretty well (I wonder if the mechanic has to do with it ) and it costs less than half than x9 around this parts

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GreenBonty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,771
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Any of you SRAMaholics ever go back to Shimano.......I've been a Shimano boy for over a decade, and only went SRAM since last year........nice stuff, but I miss my Rapidfire plus shifters. This would be for one of my HT's only, I went SRAM only cause I wanted to avoid the bangin and clankin of the derailler to Horst linkage.

    Feedback would be great............pappa needs some new toys and I feel like goin back to an old friend in Shimano.
    People used to hate Shimano for dominating the market, going 9 speed and than trying to "still" the breaks from Avid and others by going the sily dual controls. This is was good at the time as a healthy consumer approach. I think Shimano has lost some erogance since and went back in track with new and good products as well. SRAM is no cheap to say the laest and it's not nearly as smooth as Shimano (comparing XT to X9). I tryed the X9 several times but always thought XT was way nicer (and I don't like the push push as well).
    As for the banging of RD in the HL, it's a known issue with Titus I remember from the Racer X. I thought that SRAM should eliminate that but understood from the Titus dealer that it just minimize it. I still see some people using tube cuts in between to eliminate the banging with SRAM as well.
    Shimano XT is great for me since 97 (both 8 and 9 speed)

  7. #7
    the train keeps rollin
    Reputation: snowdrifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,212
    I just mounted my first Sram Derailleur (x0) and Shifter (x9), I'm not overly impressed, shifting seems quite a bit more clunky than XTR. Thumb thumb, seems dumb dumb, but hey, I need to give it a chance though, change is not always easy.

    I think the new 970 xtr groupo is the Bomb! From what I've seen, the new XTR rear derailleur sits much further away from the chainstay, the clank should not be much of an issue. I've felt the brakes mounted, seem super smooth. I have the cranks, nice...

    Pimp your ride!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    124
    have always been a shimano boy. my last hard tail was fully xtr, and my latest khs came with x9, converted back to xt after the first try around the car back. my dad just bought the full xtr groupset during his last stay out here. Initailly worried it was a a fake , due to the price, now fully happy after, a welsh mech installed at his lbh. I don't like the X9 shiters and transitions don't appear as sweat. However, not tanked down a trail..... Very temped with the bling XO factor.... but have you seen the new ti/carbon disks in the July MBUK . $600 .... WIll Scan tomorrow... Bling de Bling ...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    629
    I tried XTR shifters and front and rear ders. on my MotoLite for a little while. Like two rides worth. Went back to SRAM and won't look back as long as I have this bike. A new ride might make me rethink that. Going to be a while before that happens though.

    cheers,
    simp

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by simplton
    I tried XTR shifters and front and rear ders. on my MotoLite for a little while. Like two rides worth. Went back to SRAM and won't look back as long as I have this bike. A new ride might make me rethink that. Going to be a while before that happens though.

    cheers,
    simp
    sram , just didn't have the nice click factor for me. could have been the set up.? Just my short experience. My '99 Xtr back der, XT front , XTR shifters/breaks, XTR V breaks, LX Crank still going strong, altough my XT BB does need a change. I do take care of my bikes, but good ware and tare, none the less. My Dad still has a nice Camp roadie group set, running from the 70s. Going to give it a good burn, when I am back next week in , Belgium. He also has a a few old style GTs, hard and soft to play with in unpolluted air(the Ht has full 08 XTR ). Photos to be posted in September. Hope I can still post these as not quite yet a Titus owner..But will also post my new Moto 2 in September. Still in a quand over the forks. New maz 55, but will have to wait until October or talas 32 rlc 07. will prob go with talas as good price and my wife will flip with the extra 200 for the new maz. however, if the fox go wrong; will have to ship to singapore for fixing...My LBS has all the Maz parts, but not convinced they know what to do with them. Quand indeed, but a nice one.Sorry about the ramble, had a few too many sherbets , as school breaks tomorrow, for the summer. I am a teacher BTW. Best Mtbr forum around. Oh for an EXCO. Waiting fo the UK inlfux..

  11. #11
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Well its the push push thing that I hate, I hated it when Shimano did it 15 years ago, and I still hate it today...........

    Shimano when working well is smooth as butta........little too smooth on 960 XTR I tried.....but I heard the X70 series shimano is a bit more distinct (not clang clang like XRAM tho........)

    Saw a decent price on a decent build kit.....(sorry, not the barn tho.....but I need to spread the love tho.........)

    Haven't bought anything since December and losing my rep around here also has inspired me to "upgrade"

    Nothing better to do while one of my rides is on holiday in Arizona back at the mothership
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

  12. #12
    Trophy Husband
    Reputation: geolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,012
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Nothing better to do while one of my rides is on holiday in Arizona back at the mothership
    Lifetime warranty....sweet!
    Extreme stationary biker.

  13. #13
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,804
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Well its the push push thing that I hate, I hated it when Shimano did it 15 years ago, and I still hate it today...........

    Shimano when working well is smooth as butta........little too smooth on 960 XTR I tried.....but I heard the X70 series shimano is a bit more distinct (not clang clang like XRAM tho........)

    Saw a decent price on a decent build kit.....(sorry, not the barn tho.....but I need to spread the love tho.........)

    Haven't bought anything since December and losing my rep around here also has inspired me to "upgrade"

    Nothing better to do while one of my rides is on holiday in Arizona back at the mothership
    What happened to it, Ti?

    I am liking the thumb-thumb on the 07 XTs (but I still occasionally use the index, when out of the saddle)

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by dareverend
    sram , just didn't have the nice click factor for me. could have been the set up.? Just my short experience. My '99 Xtr back der, XT front , XTR shifters/breaks, XTR V breaks, LX Crank still going strong, altough my XT BB does need a change. I do take care of my bikes, but good ware and tare, none the less. My Dad still has a nice Camp roadie group set, running from the 70s. Going to give it a good burn, when I am back next week in , Belgium. He also has a a few old style GTs, hard and soft to play with in unpolluted air(the Ht has full 08 XTR ). Photos to be posted in September. Hope I can still post these as not quite yet a Titus owner..But will also post my new Moto 2 in September. Still in a quand over the forks. New maz 55, but will have to wait until October or talas 32 rlc 07. will prob go with talas as good price and my wife will flip with the extra 200 for the new maz. however, if the fox go wrong; will have to ship to singapore for fixing...My LBS has all the Maz parts, but not convinced they know what to do with them. Quand indeed, but a nice one.Sorry about the ramble, had a few too many sherbets , as school breaks tomorrow, for the summer. I am a teacher BTW. Best Mtbr forum around. Oh for an EXCO. Waiting fo the UK inlfux..

    No doubt the Shimano stuff lasts. I still have a bike with an XT group, including thumbshifters, short cage rear der, front der, canti brakes, etc, that works like it did back in '91. As far as the "shifting feel" goes, I guess it's just a matter of personal preference as you point out. I prefer the solid engagement feel of the SRAM stuff to the "I've just shifted but you really only know it 'cuz you pushed the button" feel of the Shimano stuff. FWIW, I'm still using an XT front der. on my ML and it works flawlessly!


    cheers,
    simp

  15. #15
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Lifetime warranty....sweet!

    Yeah...........I guess
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

  16. #16
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    What happened to it, Ti?

    I am liking the thumb-thumb on the 07 XTs (but I still occasionally use the index, when out of the saddle)

    Out of respect for Titus, will not say till things are resolved..............

    Unfortunately I haven't tried any new shimano shifters other then Dual control (which I hated), but my friend let me try his new 970 equipped bike and I was green with envy.

    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

  17. #17
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,804
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Out of respect for Titus, will not say till things are resolved..............

    I respect that

    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Unfortunately I haven't tried any new shimano shifters other then Dual control (which I hated), but my friend let me try his new 970 equipped bike and I was green with envy.

    yeah.. having the option of using thumb or index is great.. a buddy of mine has the xtrs too..and they are very sweet

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Unfortunately I haven't tried any new shimano shifters other then Dual control (which I hated
    A buddy of mine has dual control on his ride. Frankly, I don't know he can ride it. Just cruisin' around the block on it was enough to let me formulate my opinion.....

  19. #19
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,804
    Quote Originally Posted by simplton
    A buddy of mine has dual control on his ride. Frankly, I don't know he can ride it. Just cruisin' around the block on it was enough to let me formulate my opinion.....
    I rode DC for about 2 years... you get used to it like anything else...actually feels good with the "reversed" RDs... but the brake feeling was what made me switch...not the shifting...

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    I rode DC for about 2 years... you get used to it like anything else...actually feels good with the "reversed" RDs... but the brake feeling was what made me switch...not the shifting...
    You're right. In all fairness, I didn't give it much of a try. But I can't imagine having to "get used" to anything. I fear change.....

  21. #21
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by simplton
    You're right. In all fairness, I didn't give it much of a try. But I can't imagine having to "get used" to anything. I fear change.....

    Don't fear the reaper.............
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

  22. #22
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,804
    Quote Originally Posted by simplton
    You're right. In all fairness, I didn't give it much of a try. But I can't imagine having to "get used" to anything. I fear change.....

  23. #23
    Paper or plastic?
    Reputation: zorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,956
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Yeah, thinkin of a whole groupo, wheels too........for the HCR
    Argghh....
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

  24. #24
    Ultimated Outsider
    Reputation: sundowner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    562
    I been using shimano parts since XT had seven speeds and thumb shifter. I have use all four version of XTR and the only thing I did not like was the Low normal 960 RD. I actually like the DCL specially with the 950 XTR Top normal RD, but I went back to 970 XTR Rapifire shifter and derailleurs when I built my ML and I really do like the way it works. I also like that its backward compatable so that I could use the old 960 disk brakes, cranks and cassette. Now the shadow look really promising but I am not sure about that carbon cage it got. I have not try the Sram XO stuff so I cannot comment on it,

  25. #25
    Master of None
    Reputation: presslab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,462
    I have used Saint and XT rear ders and they work pretty good. I just switched to 2007 SRAM x.9 shifters and rear der and I'm really diggin' it. The thumb-thumb is nicer for me because my index is always on the brake lever. The action of the shifters is very positive and concise. The rear der is a little cheap looking and there is some play in the cage pivot but it works well so far.

  26. #26
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Now here's the next question, which would be better for me to get 08 XT or 07 XTR?????
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    08 XT, look to the future

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Now here's the next question, which would be better for me to get 08 XT or 07 XTR?????
    07 XTR and a pair of these should def cure your upgraditus

    http://www.carbon-ti.com/index.php?link=products#

    One of the most important aesthetic part is the disc rotor, for which we use the same floating method as for motorbikes. The inner part is water-jet cut while inside you can choose between carbon (for the most refined people) or Al7075 (Ergal). The external part of the disc is completely in titanium grade 5 hard anodized. The weight of these jewels is only 72g for diam.160 mm while for new measure 140 mm the weight is 64 g. The diam.185 weighs only 104 g. One of our marathon MTB world racer could confirm quality and efficiency of these discs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  29. #29
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Holy shiznit, that is down right sexy............almost overkill for any of my builds, I prefer simple and utilitarian for my bicycles, no frills, just fine form and function........
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Holy shiznit, that is down right sexy............almost overkill for any of my builds, I prefer simple and utilitarian for my bicycles, no frills, just fine form and function........
    and titanium...... and red bits...... and schmicko blingo

  31. #31
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    Sheesh TiE, holy sha molley bro,,,, thats a tough call from you "I prefer simple and utilitarian for my bicycles, no frills, just fine form and function" You work hard, you deserve bling. Bling that is with form and function.............

    But sheesh they are some sexy disks..... Phew made the heart flutter.....LOL
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Now here's the next question, which would be better for me to get 08 XT or 07 XTR?????
    I have the 07 XTR on my MLII. No complaints except the noise from the der hitting the Horst Link pivot when the trail gets rough. With that in mind I'd give the 08 XT shadow or 08 XTR shadow a shot. They look promising in addressing that issue. S.

  33. #33
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,804
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Now here's the next question, which would be better for me to get 08 XT or 07 XTR?????
    or maybe 07 XTR, but wait for the new shadow XTR RD for major bling points


  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: paneristi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    367
    TiE:
    I went SRAM for the same reason; HL banging.
    Pricewise: Shimano offers better value, though (and I really trust quality control from Shimano)
    I heard the new XTR has become more 'mechanical' compared to the old one..thus becoming a bit SRAMish
    The XTR shadow is reported to be more like SRAM as well (no loop / smaller loop). And it is less protruding than the regular XTR (SRAM is even more protruding). Whether it is dirty cable prone, i have yet to find out.
    If it is proven true, then I might think of migrating back to Shimano.

    Abt DC: it's about adaptation. I could not (maybe im too old). Rode it 2 times, sold it. But Im impressed with Shimano brakes, tho. Very good feel & modulation.

  35. #35
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    Well; I used XTR years back, then jumped onto the XO, which I have never had issues with at all.................. I guess I would look at XTR again, if I was building something new...Hear very goood reports on the Shimano stuff.....

    Dont think I would go to brakes though by Shimano, like companies whom specialise in components, not that Shimano doesnt. Hey I love Magura, next being Formula....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  36. #36
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,841
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    or maybe 07 XTR, but wait for the new shadow XTR RD for major bling points
    Carbon belongs in a grill... Same for X.0

    I learned my lesson. Some cavemen like me should be put away from anything carbon.
    Check my Site

  37. #37
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Carbon belongs in a grill... Same for X.0
    That's the coal maybe we can grill an x0 or new XTR.. cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    I learned my lesson. Some cavemen like me should be put away from anything carbon.
    but TiE is all about bling, so he doesn't mind

  38. #38
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,841
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    That's the coal maybe we can grill an x0 or new XTR.. cool
    Last time I checked, coal was mainly carbon. So does gasoline too, though.
    Both things get burned... see a trend??


    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    but TiE is all about bling, so he doesn't mind
    Oh, no .... Ti is pretty much like me. Function before bling.
    Check my Site

  39. #39
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Last time I checked, coal was mainly carbon. So does gasoline too, though.
    Both things get burned... see a trend??
    Just "janking your chain", Warp!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp

    Oh, no .... Ti is pretty much like me. Function before bling.
    yeah.. but when function is achieved.. BLING comes in faster in TiE's case

  40. #40
    Master of None
    Reputation: presslab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Carbon belongs in a grill... Same for X.0

    I learned my lesson. Some cavemen like me should be put away from anything carbon.
    Geez, you're not supposed to eat it.. Now quit gnawing on your handlebars!

  41. #41
    Paper or plastic?
    Reputation: zorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,956
    Used Shimano (99 XTR RD) on my FSR-XC until I got tired of constantly adjusting the friggin RD. Finally switched to SRAM X.9 and never looked back. The X.9 RD is now my on my Soma Groove and the X.0 on the ML. My only complaint is that SRAM doubled the price of their stuff a few years back when everybody realized that their RD worked better offroad.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

  42. #42
    Homer's problem child
    Reputation: Bortis Yelltzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by dareverend
    07 XTR and a pair of these should def cure your upgraditus

    http://www.carbon-ti.com/index.php?link=products#

    One of the most important aesthetic part is the disc rotor, for which we use the same floating method as for motorbikes. The inner part is water-jet cut while inside you can choose between carbon (for the most refined people) or Al7075 (Ergal). The external part of the disc is completely in titanium grade 5 hard anodized. The weight of these jewels is only 72g for diam.160 mm while for new measure 140 mm the weight is 64 g. The diam.185 weighs only 104 g. One of our marathon MTB world racer could confirm quality and efficiency of these discs.
    This is the most dangerous composite design I have ever seen for a bicycle component. WOW! Whoever designed this better be saving up for a lawyer, it's only a matter of time before this gets them sued.

    B
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GreenBonty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,771
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    or maybe 07 XTR, but wait for the new shadow XTR RD for major bling points

    Not sexy for me. I am not an XC racer.
    Me not like it. Give me some Ti on XTR but no CF

  44. #44
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    That's the coal maybe we can grill an x0 or new XTR.. cool


    but TiE is all about bling, so he doesn't mind

    What bling??????? All my bikes are all grey and unpainted cause I don't like people looking at me............

    Do not like CF on the derailler, I am bias against it(why I choose Longcage XO over med......).
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

  45. #45
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    The BEST all round solution is to flip the bird to both Shimano & Sram and go GBoxx

    Yeah ha................
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  46. #46
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,804
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    What bling??????? All my bikes are all grey and unpainted cause I don't like people looking at me............
    Right ...


    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Do not like CF on the derailler, I am bias against it(why I choose Longcage XO over med......).
    I am not against the CF by itself.. I am against the insane prices

  47. #47
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    The BEST all round solution is to flip the bird to both Shimano & Sram and go GBoxx

    Yeah ha................
    I'll take a Nucleon AMX, please


  48. #48
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    08 XT - Some info from your favorite mag................
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  49. #49
    horseman
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    338

    new XTR stuff?

    I have used Shimano stuff from the early 80's (there is still a Suntour RD on my Grove Assault tho). The XT stuff has always been a great value in my opinion. I just never jumped on the early grip shift stuff. I embraced the rapid rise version in the late eighties and don't understand why many folks don't like it. My '05+ RX is equipped w/XT stuff w/exception of XTR RD. Over the last several years, the XTR RD seems to work the best, even if it does bang into the chainstay.
    I went into the LBS to buy a Shimano "B-tension kit, so I could repair a "sprung" RD and I saw a new XTR cassette in the case. I couldn't make out the price tho. I have been using Sram cassettes and chains. So, I got out the reading glasses to confirm the puzzling price tag and it did say $240.00! That was the number I thought I sawe without the glasses, but I thought that can't be right. I asked the fellows in the shop to confirm the price tag and they said that it was correct.
    My repair parts for the Xt was $19.00. If the new stuff can be repaired the tag probable would have been $59.00. What is the price for a new '08 XTR setup? I'll look it up somehow, but isn't Sram coming down in price? Can new XTR perform that well to justify the price? Or is really function and bling?

  50. #50
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Thanks all for the posts and advice.........feeling low as I celebrated a birthday in the last week. (one step closer to the grave) .....So in order to cheer myself up, I caved in and ordered the XTR build kit(wheels and all.).......Will give er the old college try and see if I like her........If not, someone will be blessed via the Kharma I pass on.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

  51. #51
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Well, my wife said you could go get yourself a present and say it was from her and the kids as long as it was in a box that us postal was allowed to ship..........so I said OK, no new bike for me. thanks honey, your the greatest.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: paneristi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    I caved in and ordered the XTR build kit(wheels and all.).......
    What a present!
    Dont forget to get the Shadow RD, it looks just like SRAM, use 2 springs only (ala Suntour), so your HL is safe.
    Shimano_M770_Deore_XT_Shadow_rear_derailleur_side_view.jpg
    (This is the XT, you might want to go full XTR for your bike)

  53. #53
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi
    What a present!
    Dont forget to get the Shadow RD, it looks just like SRAM, use 2 springs only (ala Suntour), so your HL is safe.
    Shimano_M770_Deore_XT_Shadow_rear_derailleur_side_view.jpg
    (This is the XT, you might want to go full XTR for your bike)

    It's not the Shadow RD (not available yet/or included with the buildkit I bought)

    Not too concerned with the RD, if it troubles me that badly I'll upgrade to the Shadow RD when I toast the first one off...........

    Kit included drivetrain (full XTR), wheels (XTR), Cockpit (Thomson, king, raceface).....for one great price, how could I turn it down.........
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: paneristi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    367
    These should complete ur bike. Light but strong components from Tune
    Tune.jpg

  55. #55
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,804
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Well, my wife said you could go get yourself a present and say it was from her and the kids as long as it was in a box that us postal was allowed to ship..........so I said OK, no new bike for me. thanks honey, your the greatest.
    very sweet! big to your wife for the sweet present! and happy belated b'day!

  56. #56
    Veni Vidi Vici
    Reputation: barelylegal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    995
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Thanks all for the posts and advice.........feeling low as I celebrated a birthday in the last week. (one step closer to the grave) .....So in order to cheer myself up, I caved in and ordered the XTR build kit(wheels and all.).......Will give er the old college try and see if I like her........If not, someone will be blessed via the Kharma I pass on.
    Belated Happy B-Day Ti ... may you have more Ti in your stable, that you can put some in the Karma thread

  57. #57
    I rode 'Whistler XC'
    Reputation: MintSauce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    507
    Worked on a friend's bike this weekend fitted with 06 XT
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If I wanted your opinion I'd give it to you

  58. #58
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,804
    Quote Originally Posted by MintSauce
    Worked on a friend's bike this weekend fitted with 06 XT
    weird... I put together a bike about 2 weeks ago and got it running from no drivetrain to test-on-the street in less than 30 mins

  59. #59
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Yeehaa, giddy as a school girl......just heard my package went out with the mail truck today......I'm just happy as a clam now as I also heard the build package I bought just went up in price as of yesterday by 600 bucks........man I lucked out on that buy
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

  60. #60
    Paper or plastic?
    Reputation: zorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,956
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Yeehaa, giddy as a school girl......just heard my package went out with the mail truck today......I'm just happy as a clam now as I also heard the build package I bought just went up in price as of yesterday by 600 bucks........man I lucked out on that buy
    Did you get the 08 Shimano brakes too?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

  61. #61
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    No full 970 XTR drivetrain, 975 wheelset, king headset, thomson stem, masterpiece post, 970 pedals, raceface handlebar....etc.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

  62. #62
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,804
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    No full 970 XTR drivetrain, 975 wheelset, king headset, thomson stem, masterpiece post, 970 pedals, raceface handlebar....etc.
    very sweet!

    Post some pics when you get it

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    49
    I had the chance to bail on Shimano and switch to SRAM with a new rear derailleur. Ended up sticking with Shimano due to the push-push shifting thing. Not long after, I rode a bike with the X.9 and eventually liked it. Should have gone with SRAM and then I wouldnt have to listen to my XT smack on my Motolite constantly. Oh well, both good choices, glad you found what you like.

  64. #64
    txn
    txn is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: txn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    381
    My name is Jon, and I like rapid rise.

  65. #65
    Adventure Mapper
    Reputation: forgiven_nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    516
    I'm going to sram, x-9 and grip shifters. The thumb thumb is dumb I think, don't forget the grip shifters. Yeah, I've hated them since they came out too, but they are lighter than any other shifters and you can micro adjust when that ft der cable loosens up on that second ride. My buddies with sram x9 rr der's have put them through craziness and they shift like day 1. I have went through quite a few xt's and they seem to get lateral play after 6-18 months everytime. We'll see how sram treats me and I'll let y'all know for sure.

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sim2u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,331
    Well I have used the S-Ram XO and associated front mech and I have to say that from my understanding and just personal view/experience, apart from it looking cooler than XTR and less bang bang, its not as good as Shimano. I mean the Sram XO triggers look amazing and have exellent erganomics to them, yet I prefere the Shimano version due to their manner of shifting...besides, I am a rapid rise guy. Its great for slight ascents on the Reign XO, and I find it better on the downs so as to allow gear changes and grab gog groups rather than snipping at them cog by cog and so it is easier for me...especially as I said when I need to grab 4 cogs at a time to quickly gain the downhill manner.

    Furthermore, the new Shadow rear mech was designed to have less bang bang, better cable routing, lilghter and with more snap with the loud sram CLACK and also it looks seriously sweet, so if it is coming in the rapid rise version, it will be on my bike like pink on a pig...

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sim2u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,331
    Sorry not to offend any here...but these parts look exotically ancient, and with low ergonomics...


    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi
    These should complete ur bike. Light but strong components from Tune
    Tune.jpg

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sim2u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,331
    XTR...yes please!!!! It also has a lilghter profile when on the bike allowing less obsticals to smack it. My gosh...how many carbon Rr Mechs have i seen get smashed and shattered due it being out there like a mother ship backing Hilarious Clitton in campaign mode with mysterious financial backing...he he he

    tripple post...sorry chaps.


    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi
    What a present!
    Dont forget to get the Shadow RD, it looks just like SRAM, use 2 springs only (ala Suntour), so your HL is safe.
    Shimano_M770_Deore_XT_Shadow_rear_derailleur_side_view.jpg
    (This is the XT, you might want to go full XTR for your bike)

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: paneristi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2u
    Sorry not to offend any here...but these parts look exotically ancient, and with low ergonomics...
    In picture yes. In practice no, tho.
    Just cost more

    Abt the Shadow vs Sram: both has their own S/W.
    I like the Shadow since it is less protruding.
    On Sram, the trigger 'click' nicely. A matter of preference.
    IMO Shimano releases the shadow due to its marketshare being taken by SRAM.

  70. #70
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,804

    Got my shadow

    hey.. I got the shadow XT..and it's looking nice... it weighs about the same as the "old" one....

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmadrigal/899519334/" title="Photo Sharing"><img src="http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1428/899519334_8b5df5feec_b.jpg" width="683" height="1024" alt="2008 shimano deore XT shadow derailleur" /></a>

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmadrigal/899519242/" title="Photo Sharing"><img src="http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1400/899519242_1652dedcd4_b.jpg" width="683" height="1024" alt="2008 shimano deore XT shadow derailleur" /></a>

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmadrigal/899519158/" title="Photo Sharing"><img src="http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1351/899519158_35eaab953f_b.jpg" width="1024" height="683" alt="weight 2008 shimano deore XT shadow derailleur" /></a>

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    hey.. I got the shadow XT..and it's looking nice... it weighs about the same as the "old" one....

    Looks real nice. But man, that cage looks huge!



    cheers,
    simp

  72. #72
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,804
    Quote Originally Posted by simplton
    Looks real nice. But man, that cage looks huge!



    cheers,
    simp
    thanks...

    it's the same size as my "old" long cage XT....of course there is also a short cage version...
    Last edited by crisillo; 07-25-2007 at 04:22 PM.

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    thanks...

    it's the same size as ma "old" long cage XT....of course there is also a short cage version...

    The HorstLinkers will love it.......

  74. #74
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,841
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    thanks...

    it's the same size as ma "old" long cage XT....of course there is also a short cage version...
    NICE!! (For being a Shimano... )

    Just yanking your chain, Cris!!!

    It looks sweet... almost like a SRAM!! But not as good.

    Nah, seriously... Looks sweet. CONGRATS!!!

    That's a Shimano that would sway me back from SRAM. Let us know how it goes. I'm interested on how the second hanger goes in terms of play in a few months. That'd be the only defect I can think of in the long run.
    Check my Site

  75. #75
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    NICE!! (For being a Shimano... )

    Just yanking your chain, Cris!!!

    It looks sweet... almost like a SRAM!! But not as good.

    Nah, seriously... Looks sweet. CONGRATS!!!

    That's a Shimano that would sway me back from SRAM. Let us know how it goes. I'm interested on how the second hanger goes in terms of play in a few months. That'd be the only defect I can think of in the long run.


    I will post up on long term reliability!

    on an unrelated topic..is any of you having problems with the email updates from threads.. I haven't receved one single MTBR email in about 24 hours.... I already started a thread in the "Site Feedback/Issues" forum... but no reply from the "crew" yet... oh well..better go to bed I suppose...

  76. #76
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,841
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    on an unrelated topic..is any of you having problems with the email updates from threads.. I haven't receved one single MTBR email in about 24 hours.... I already started a thread in the "Site Feedback/Issues" forum... but no reply from the "crew" yet... oh well..better go to bed I suppose...
    Don't worry... in a few months all those missing e-mails will clog your inbox... sometimes twice or thrice per notification.

    It actually surprises me when it works...
    Check my Site

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •