One Big-Arsed Clyde

Repair Stand for Motolite

Sorry all if this has been addressed before, but I was unable to come up with it during my searching of the archived (past) threads.

What would you, current Motolite owners recommend for a good repair stand for the Motolite. I'm about to take delivery of my very own Ti-Motolite after riding the same 'mountain bike' for the last 15 years and the side of the house just won't do for a "stand" anymore.

Thank you.

Kaspur

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaspur3
    What would you, current Motolite owners recommend for a good repair stand for the Motolite. I'm about to take delivery of my very own Ti-Motolite after riding the same 'mountain bike' for the last 15 years and the side of the house just won't do for a "stand" anymore.
    You do know that you're suppose to use the seatpost when you work on a bike and not the bike frame, right? It's usually cheaper to replace a seatpost than a bike frame.Your question leads me to believe you don't know this but I could be wrong.
    I use a Park stand for my bikes (Racer X, Turner XCE, Silk Ti, Giant Road bike) and a few people use an Ultimate stand. You could always check the review section of this site because that's usually a good place to find reviews of bike related things.

ಠ_ಠ
    I like my Ultimate Pro:

There are four on eBay right now (here).
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Its All Good"
    Sorry all if this has been addressed before, but I was unable to come up with it during my searching of the archived (past) threads.

Thank you.

Kaspur
    I use a Park Tool stand, have never had an issue with it. Most as Braids mentioned are using Park or Ultimate. I can sit here typing this and steering at my MotoLite on the stand, lifes good..................
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

thats right living legend
    I use the same one whafe's using.... Like it!

One Big-Arsed Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by Braids
    You do know that you're suppose to use the seatpost when you work on a bike and not the bike frame, right? It's usually cheaper to replace a seatpost than a bike frame.Your question leads me to believe you don't know this but I could be wrong.
    I use a Park stand for my bikes (Racer X, Turner XCE, Silk Ti, Giant Road bike) and a few people use an Ultimate stand. You could always check the review section of this site because that's usually a good place to find reviews of bike related things.
    Was it that obvious that i've been using the side of the apartment/house, etc over the last 15 years? I've seen several photos of the stands holding the bike via the top tube. I obviously have a lot to learn, but it's going to be fun.

As for the reviews, I have read them, but just thought that in here, others may have something to say specific to tituses.

Thanks again for the info.

"Its All Good"
    Braids, Mate, where were you coming from on this post? . kaspur3 never mentioned he didnt know where to hook is bike on the stand. This guy is newish braids we want him to come back.

I have put the frame of my ML directly on the stand, have done it on the seat post stay, have this being a large frame. No damage at all and it will not damage the frame at all......
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Braids, Mate, where were you coming from on this post? . kaspur3 never mentioned he didnt know where to hook is bike on the stand. This guy is newish braids we want him to come back.

I have put the frame of my ML directly on the stand, have done it on the seat post stay, have this being a large frame. No damage at all and it will not damage the frame at all......

Whafe you should not clamp your stand on the frame. Seatpost only, Braids is right...

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    Whafe you should not clamp your stand on the frame. Seatpost only, Braids is right...
    For sure agree, I did it the once whilst I was working on the seat clamp on the seat post, whipped the clamp onto the frame so as I could work easier. Not for a moment doing it full time. Am saying it was no problem for a short time............

Out of interest, what are the thoughts as to why it is not wise, or not a done thing?

For sure agree, I did it the once whilst I was working on the seat clamp on the seat post, whipped the clamp onto the frame so as I could work easier. Not for a moment doing it full time. Am saying it was no problem for a short time............

Out of interest, what are the thoughts as to why it is not wise, or not a done thing?

Isolated stress. The seatpost is better suited to handle it, plus less expensive to replace. Not sure it woud matter on the ti?

mtbr member

I'll repeat myself... "It's usually cheaper to replace a seatpost than a bike frame." We've all seen the pictures of dent frames from a stand clamp. I don't want to read the posts of someone trying to make a warranty claim on that "accident" so I'm trying to save us all some pain. I had the titus forum in my heart when I said that - honest! Ti frames are harder to dent than Al frames so you (whafe) may not have to worry about denting your frame. Whafe, you may be able to crack the carbon areas on your frame though so be careful.

Since the guy was asking questions about which bike stand to buy I made the deduction that he was clamping on the bike frame and not on the seatpost. I mean why ask which specific stand people are using for a specific bike with a specific suspension path unless you're going to clamp on the frame and not the seatpost. You could just go to the review section and read the reviews there which is where I pointed him. To me it was like asking, "which bike rack are you using for X bike because I can't get it on with this frame design?"

mtbr member
    Was it that obvious that i've been using the side of the apartment/house, etc over the last 15 years? I've seen several photos of the stands holding the bike via the top tube. I obviously have a lot to learn, but it's going to be fun.

As for the reviews, I have read them, but just thought that in here, others may have something to say specific to tituses.

Thanks again for the info.
    I've used the side of a wall too. I've also used the suspend the bars and seatpost by ropes hanging from the ceiling. Working on a bike is a lot easier with a stand though.

There are a few photos on this site of people who've dented frames by clamping the frame too so there is photographic evidence of that too.

One Big-Arsed Clyde
    I'll repeat myself... "It's usually cheaper to replace a seatpost than a bike frame." We've all seen the pictures of dent frames from a stand clamp. I don't want to read the posts of someone trying to make a warranty claim on that "accident" so I'm trying to save us all some pain. I had the titus forum in my heart when I said that - honest! Ti frames are harder to dent than Al frames so you (whafe) may not have to worry about denting your frame. Whafe, you may be able to crack the carbon areas on your frame though so be careful.

Since the guy was asking questions about which bike stand to buy I made the deduction that he was clamping on the bike frame and not on the seatpost. I mean why ask which specific stand people are using for a specific bike with a specific suspension path unless you're going to clamp on the frame and not the seatpost. You could just go to the review section and read the reviews there which is where I pointed him. To me it was like asking, "which bike rack are you using for X bike because I can't get it on with this frame design?"
    Braids,

This guy has a name. And yes, you are correct in my assumption, as wrong as it was. But the elitist (sp?) attitude isn't coming over too well. Having an honest answer is one reason that I posted on this message board. I have now learned something that I didn't previously know. Oh, and reading the reviews wouldn't answer that, especially since some of the photos/links show the frame being held, not the seatpost. Again, thanks for setting 'this guy' straight.

Braids,

This guy has a name. And yes, you are correct in my assumption, as wrong as it was. But the elitist (sp?) attitude isn't coming over too well. Having an honest answer is one reason that I posted on this message board. I have now learned something that I didn't previously know. Oh, and reading the reviews wouldn't answer that, especially since some of the photos/links show the frame being held, not the seatpost. Again, thanks for setting 'this guy' straight.

You right!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Thank you.

Kaspur
    I use a park prs-5. It's an excellent stand as it can be broken down in about a minute and thrown into it's bag then into the car etc. I don't think park is making it anymore? But check this one out http://www.parktool.com/products/det...3&item=PCS%2D4 You won't regret the purchase.
    When your girlfriends Mother french kisses you hello....Now that's friendly!

mtbr member
    But the elitist (sp?) attitude isn't coming over too well.
    It's probably not coming over too well because it's not there.

"Its All Good"
    Braids, dude, you did come across in a way that is not your usual helpful self. Not wanting to scrap about this, but a newish member asled a question that we take for granted, lets not dis him. If we want a great Titus area that can gel better than Turner, we need to support one another.........

its all good

Totally understand your points on denting the frame, harder with Ti though as you mentioned. Would make me cry to see a bike stand clamped onto the ExoGrid area. Then there would be something rotting in Denmark.

Kaspur3, I assure you, you got Braids on an off day, he is usually hugely helpful.

"El Whatever"

Braids, bro... check this out ... Mexican Vintage Pron

I was at the Expobici and I reminded you like vintage stuff...
    Check my Site

mtbr member

Feelings

Braids

I appreciate the info. I did not know that the seatpost is the way.

Don't know why these folks are dumping on you. I thought you were straight forward. The Dude must be female( or from Europe) to be so sensitive. Simmer down now cause I wouldn't want to offend.

It's all Good.

One Big-Arsed Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoops
    Braids

I appreciate the info. I did not know that the seatpost is the way.

Don't know why these folks are dumping on you. I thought you were straight forward. The Dude must be female( or from Europe) to be so sensitive. Simmer down now cause I wouldn't want to offend.

It's all Good.
    Snoops,

Male and from the Bay Area (but we do tend to act like women from Europe at times.) Rereading this thread, yes, I was acting a bit sensitive. The wife's expecting, so she's got me a bit on edge.

Braids, Thanks for the info on the stand. Whafe mentioned that maybe I caught you on an off day. I believe it was YOU who caught ME on an off day. I know I'm going to have many more newbie questions here, so please bear with me. (I'm pretty sure that my LBS is glad I'm about 1 hour away.)

(Just an FYI, only one of my buddies who I've been riding with for a while has a bike with a front suspension fork. The rest of us are riding mountain bikes that are at least 10 years old, and the only suspension that we currently have is the meat on our backsides). The wife has allowed me one last toy before the births, so I decided to go big. (Unfortunately, the exogrid would have been too big.)

Quote Originally Posted by Snoops
    Braids

The Dude must be female( or from Europe) to be so sensitive.
    It's all Good.

BWAAHHAAAAHA!!!!! I'm loving that line!!!

"Its All Good"
    kaspur3, my partner and I are expecting any day, I know how you are feeling, I assure you, I am on edge as well, I cannot do anything right, anything what so ever. Its like living with a crazy bunny boiler......................

Braids is all good, he is tough. All is well with Braids

Snoops,

Male and from the Bay Area (but we do tend to act like women from Europe at times.) Rereading this thread, yes, I was acting a bit sensitive. The wife's expecting, so she's got me a bit on edge.

Braids, Thanks for the info on the stand. Whafe mentioned that maybe I caught you on an off day. I believe it was YOU who caught ME on an off day. I know I'm going to have many more newbie questions here, so please bear with me. (I'm pretty sure that my LBS is glad I'm about 1 hour away.)

(Just an FYI, only one of my buddies who I've been riding with for a while has a bike with a front suspension fork. The rest of us are riding mountain bikes that are at least 10 years old, and the only suspension that we currently have is the meat on our backsides). The wife has allowed me one last toy before the births, so I decided to go big. (Unfortunately, the exogrid would have been too big.)

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Just my 2 cents.... I agree about using the seatpost vs the frame but....
    I also have a Park and the clamp is adjustable to differnt widths. I've used the wider setting when I needed to dink with the seatpost or remove it.
    Of course when doing so, the clamp was not as tight as to the normal use on the seatpost. Just enough to hold the bike in place. Not and ML.
    Don't harsh my mello