mtbr member

Reinforced Under-Belly on Carbon Racer X dropped

The aluminium reinforced under-belly (RUB) on my bike dropped off as I was washing the bike. It seems that a lot of sand and mud got wedged between the double side tape of the RUB and the frame, and thankfully the thing dropped off at home while I was washing the bike rather than out in the woods.

I notice the double side tape used is a very thin one, and the usual 3M double sided heavy duty mounting tape would not do the job well. Any ideas of how I may possibly reattach the piece? Should I use epoxy?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Yes, the RUB strip was not one of Tituses best ideas. The fix for this is to remove the RUB strip and permantly store it in your tool box.

Then apply some ISC Racers Tape in it's place.

http://www.iscracerstape.com/rtp.html

I hope Titus excludes this from future XC designs because to XC racers every gram counts. Hint, Hint!

Sopwithcamel

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

RUB Re-attachment

The same thing happened to me.

I mailed Titus and they told me to use double sided adhesive tape to reattach my RUB. I duly got some from the local DIY shop and the RUB has been fine since.

My RUB has notched up some impressive dents and I am reluctant leave it off the bike. That said I have not tried the ISC Racers tape.

Robin

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Robin, the double sided adhesive tape is prone to moisture and cold tempertures. So if you ride in cold or wet weather a lot, make sure you keep an eye on it. Or you may get the dreaded clunk.Thanks, for the input!

Sopwithcamel

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Try 3M acrylic plus. You may be able to find it at an automotive paint supply or try McMaster Carr for online. The higher end 3M acrylic tapes should easily get the job done. I have used them in automotive and boating applications with good success. I recall Ford uses them in oem apps. Temperature and moisture should not be a problem. Solvents can remove them, but I would be careful with which solvents I placed on my frame. Make sure to remove all oils from the surfaces prior to taping. Also consider that a ticker tape may perform better than a thin one if the carbon frame is flexing in that area. I cannot remember the technical terms, but it you try to pull a taped item straight apart you will have little luck (that is why 3m demonstrates it with the little pieces of mylar) but if you pry one edge it will peel. Thicker tapes allow for part misalignment and flex.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by sopwithcamel
    I hope Titus excludes this from future XC designs because to XC racers every gram counts. Hint, Hint!

Sopwithcamel
    [SIZE="3"]Hint, Hint... It can be removed!!![/SIZE]

I hope Titus doesn't listen to you and leave to the weight weenies to remove their RUB at their own will.

Include it with the bike and if every gram counts, then remove it. That way you do not neglect the benefit to those who want it there.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Warp just to add some fuel to the debate. For the weight Titus would be much better off using two layers of 2K or 3K heavy carbon just to take the abuse on the down tube which also add to the frame strength and stiffness. (Using double sided carpet tape to stick a 0.020 aluminum skin on is just lame!)

Sopwithcamel

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by sopwithcamel
    (Using double sided carpet tape to stick a 0.020 aluminum skin on is just lame!)

Sopwithcamel
    There, we agree...
    Check my Site