All Lefty's, all the time Moderator

Random odd question for other retailers...

So I got a really odd call today. Some gentleman with what I would call a Spanish/Mexican accent immediately launches into "do you have Titus bikes?" I explain the deal here, he's not really paying attention, then starts asking what other high end bikes I have, in the store, today. (He didn't express interest in the Titus 29ers I did have). The it goes to road, what high end do I have, now? What Titus, now? The whole thing was really odd, he didn't give a rats ass about components, models, just "was it really high end?" Kinda gave me the creeps.....

I only bring it up here, cause I didn't know where the Titus connection came from, and thought he might be cruising websites, cold calling for what, who knows. Just a headsup, chime in if you feel the urge....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Warp. I told him to stop doing that

Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    Warp. I told him to stop doing that

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    So I got a really odd call today. Some gentleman with what I would call a Spanish/Mexican accent immediately launches into "do you have Titus bikes?" I explain the deal here, he's not really paying attention, then starts asking what other high end bikes I have, in the store, today. (He didn't express interest in the Titus 29ers I did have). The it goes to road, what high end do I have, now? What Titus, now? The whole thing was really odd, he didn't give a rats ass about components, models, just "was it really high end?" Kinda gave me the creeps.....

I only bring it up here, cause I didn't know where the Titus connection came from, and thought he might be cruising websites, cold calling for what, who knows. Just a headsup, chime in if you feel the urge....
    Do you run a bike shop? Do you have caller ID, and if so, did he call from a local number? Could they be finding out what you have so they can break in after hours and clean you out? Hopefully not, but thats the first thing I thought of. He wants high end stuff so he can make more money re-selling it.

mtbr member
    That's the first think I thought of too....that he might be casing the shop. The other thought is that he has an opportunity to buy or sell a stolen bike and he's trying to figure out what they are worth

Thanks. Yeah, my weirdometer went haywire, and he thinks I don't have much of interest to him because of it.

I don't frequently deal with these sorts of calls, but my old job did, so I have a feel for it I just thought the focus on Titus was intriguing, and there's been serial wierdos that have come through before, it's not the first time with Titus. Anyone remember the email that hit just about every dealer in the network? Must have been a year or so ago...

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I think if I was a Bicycle shop owner, I would leave a pair large German Shepard in the shop every night.

"El Whatever"
    You guys are a riot!! Love ya!!

Now my accent is arab/filipino...
    Check my Site

Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    You guys are a riot!! Love ya!!

Now my accent is arab/filipino...
    Now, as in you just changed it?

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Members who have read this thread: 0