Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Racing the ML - A Question

For those who have raced their ML. DId you leave it in 5" or switch to 4"? My first race with the bike I left it in 5" and it seemed fine, and this was a pretty flat fast course. I also kept the fork at 120 instead fo dropping it to 100. Any reccomendations/ thoughts?

thats right living legend
    If you raced it in 5" already and liked it than whats the prob? I don't race "any more" but the times I raced my ML I ran it in 4" mode with around 100-110mm up front, but I wanted to win.

It's a FACT that as well as the ML pedals in 5" mode it pedals MUCH faster in 4". I know this from LOTS of exp on this bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Depends on your goals, level of experience and level of fitness. I have raced mine in both modes. Let me preface this by saying that I am fat and slow and that I only race for fun, not expecting to place. The last time I raced, I had it in 4" mode with 110mm up front. Like BA said, it does pedal fast in 4" but I found that the added stiffness took a toll on my back, which ultimately slowed me down because I kept having to stop pedaling so that I could stretch my lower back. So in my case, I feel that I would have been faster overall if I had left it at 5x120 and I also would have had more fun, however if you have a strong core (like a serious racer would) then you might like it better in 4".
    Best thing to do is to try it out for a week or 2 and see how you like it.

mtbr member
    4" definately - I had a short loop and timed my self over many loops in both 4 and 5 ". It felt far more efficient - and was a marginally faster.

This was flat (New Orleans), all that was need was a bit of travel to take the edge off the roots.

I ran 5" with 120mm up front, 4" with 100mm

Veni Vidi Vici
    I raced mine at 5" with no problem, no podium for me anyway , but next time I will race it at 4"... I read a lot of good stuff from people who raced their ML at 4" and I would like to experience it as well. But if you will be really serious about racing and you want to win it, you should get an RX... I am just there to have fun

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks. I will give it a shot in 4" mode. Right now I am just racing to have fun, not trying to win. When/if I get to that point I would consider a race bike, but that is far off.

thats right living legend

I still Say....

Quote Originally Posted by Dynastar
    Thanks. I will give it a shot in 4" mode. Right now I am just racing to have fun, not trying to win. When/if I get to that point I would consider a race bike, but that is far off.

Always race in 4". You want to give yourself THE BEST possible chance in any XC race. Leave it ALLLLL out there! It's only like 2 hours tops. Who cares if your backs hurting or it's "bumpier" come on, you've still got 4", and this is a race! Your in a hurry! GOOOO!!!!!

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    Always race in 4". You want to give yourself THE BEST possible chance in any XC race. Leave it ALLLLL out there! It's only like 2 hours tops. Who cares if your backs hurting or it's "bumpier" come on, you've still got 4", and this is a race! Your in a hurry! GOOOO!!!!!
    Or, if you're really THAT serious, you could get a XC hardtail! Otherwise, just leave it where it feels good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Good to see people having fun racing.

I'd use 4" mode. It's got one so why not.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    OK, so I had my race Sun & dropped it to 4"/100. Wow! Fast! Sat I did a test ride at a local trail that is pretty flat with lost of twisty trail. I had a grin on my face the whole time. I could not believe how fast it was, how quick it was in the corners and how I could just flip it around. It sounds strange, but I had the feeling that the bike was going faster than me. I had to be really careful in the corners because it was so quick. I was having so much fun, I almost regret putting it back into 5"/120 mode.

You down with entropy?

what about a 48 mile race?

Until reading this I had not really considered dropping the travel for the upcoming race.

Going to be doing the ore 2 shore in Marquette Michigan. Lots of dirt roads and snowmobile trails so 4" might be the way to go. hmmm got to go try that setup out. Its just that I have been having a blast running in 5" mode that it never dawned on me.......

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The race I did on Sun was pretty technical with lots of rock gardens, both on the uphills & downhills and 4"/100 was great. I obvioulsy got knocked around a bit more than I would with 5", but it is defintely quicker overall. Now that I have raced it in 4", I will not go back to 5" - and I love bombing around in 5" mode. But now that will be for general riding.

As a side note. I did not like the way the bike feels 5"/100 but 4"/100 it feels perfect. I have not tried 4"/120

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by esilvassy
    Until reading this I had not really considered dropping the travel for the upcoming race.

Going to be doing the ore 2 shore in Marquette Michigan. Lots of dirt roads and snowmobile trails so 4" might be the way to go. hmmm got to go try that setup out. Its just that I have been having a blast running in 5" mode that it never dawned on me.......
    Hey esilvassy, where do you live? I was just in Marquette this last weekend for Superior Bike Fest. I live in Houghton.

Don't mean to hijack the thread. I'd go 4" if I was serious about racing. I'm certainly not serious, I raced my SuperMoto in a downhill race on Saturday and in a cross country race on Sunday.

You down with entropy?
    bizzard

I am coming from Troy (detroit-ish).
    I used to live in houghton back when I was going to school at tech. there are lots more trails(singletrack at least) than when I was there, left in 99.

I was up last summer and road copper harbor once and raced at the fat tire fest (all on my fully rigid old-school stumpjumper the motolite did not come along untill october....)

I have to get back up that way to see the changes to the tech trails and hit a few other spots...

For the race I am really going for finishing more than being super- competitive

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzard_mk
    ...I raced my SuperMoto in a downhill race on Saturday and in a cross country race on Sunday.

Yes! Screw the El Guano!

No, that's not a typo.
    Extreme stationary biker.

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover

Yes! Screw the El Guano!

No, that's not a typo.

Geo-quasi-moto-Lover... learn to embrace the new....

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    Geo-quasi-moto-Lover... learn to embrace the new....
    demo_slug the destroyer

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Plus, I fear change.

the 36 year old grom
    demo_slug the destroyer
    Mr Geo-Guano-lover...

actually they call me BatMan. becuase I'm 100% Guano.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Yes! Screw the El Guano!

No, that's not a typo.

I actually liked the El Guapo when I rode it, but I wouldn't trade my SuperMoto.

"El Whatever"
    actually they call me BatMan. becuase I'm 100% Guano.
    ... and he's so Gothic, he sheits bats... Don't mess with the Slug!
    Check my Site

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzard_mk

I actually liked the El Guapo when I rode it, but I wouldn't trade my SuperMoto.
    The Guapo is very much different bike then SuMo. I don't see why Geo-obsolete-frame-lover is so cranky.

it not like he's come home from a seal clubing mission to find his kids playing with thier "new Daddy"....

Trophy Husband
    The Guapo is very much different bike then SuMo. I don't see why Geo-obsolete-frame-lover is so cranky.

it not like he's come home from a seal clubing mission to find his kids playing with thier "new Daddy"....
    Thinking about the El Guano makes me want to drop my kids off at the pool.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Yes! Screw the El Guano!

No, that's not a typo.
    I hate you. Kiss my Grits.

Veni Vidi Vici
    The race I did on Sun was pretty technical with lots of rock gardens, both on the uphills & downhills and 4"/100 was great. I obvioulsy got knocked around a bit more than I would with 5", but it is defintely quicker overall. Now that I have raced it in 4", I will not go back to 5" - and I love bombing around in 5" mode. But now that will be for general riding.

As a side note. I did not like the way the bike feels 5"/100 but 4"/100 it feels perfect. I have not tried 4"/120
    Cool info Dynastar, I will try to race mine at 4" next time and hope I get the same results as you did

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Just think of those hardtail nutters toughing it out on their 22 pound wonderbikes... 4" is allot of cush cush

Sounds like a great effort and fun all-round

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast