Not Smart Enough to Quit

RacerX bearing kits

My Hammerhead has two good hard years on it now & I was wondering how long the suspension bearings usually last. I can't feel any play in them, but I don't really want to wait until they are totally trashed before replacing them. Or should I wait until they have play?

So how hard are they to replace? can I do it myself? Should I get the OEM bearings or something like the Enduroseals kit? Is there something better?

Thoughts?
    The standing eight count & three knockdown rules are in effect on this trail.

http://compvelo.com/content/

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    1. Ride em till the die, IMO
    2. Get the repl bearing set on hand, so when they die you can do the work instead of having downtime
    3. A press-extractor tool will be really handy, particularly for the linkage, and you can make do easily with a square-edge punch to get the bearings out of the frame (be careful).

As long as you have decent quality bearings on hand, I don't think it matters much if it's OEM or not. EnduroSeals would be good stuff. Quality bearings from any supplier should work though (SKF, INA, whatever). The ones that you have to get OEM would be the horst-link bushings - I have not found a generic supply of them yet.

"Bob" has a nice kit that you can get which would have everything, too, except tools of course.

Do It Yourself
    You can do preventive maintenance if you want. Pry the seals up, spray clean, repack with Phil Wood or similar grease, reinstall seals. You can check your bearings/bushings by removing the shock and cycling the rear suspension up and down. If it moves freely, it's fine. If it's binding or sticky, you need maintenance.

The OEM bearings are Enduro bearings so whether you get them from Enduro (same company as the fork seals), your friendly neighborhood LBS, or a Titus dealer, they are the exact same bearings. I would stick with the EnduroMax bearings though since they are designed for this type application with a full bearing complement and no cage. Caged bearings are designed for high rotation where as the EnduroMax are better for low rotation and with more balls can handle higher torsional loads.

More on frame bearings from Intense here:

Bearing's, myths & factoids.....Please read!

This is the tool you want for replacing the bearings:

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id61.html
    Long Live Long Rides

Do It Yourself
    More info on the Enduro Max bearings:

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id172.html
    Long Live Long Rides

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    The ones that you have to get OEM would be the horst-link bushings - I have not found a generic supply of them yet.
    The bushing pins actually are Titus supplied.

The HL nylon bushings are actually "Igus Bushings Part #JFI 0809-04 (Qty 4)" as stated in the old Owner's Manual that used to be on Titus' Site.

The following is from said Manual, it's for the SB, but the Main Pivot, HL Pivot and hanger parts are all the same across all Titus line (I can't say the El Guapo is included, though).

"HARDWARE:

As with all Titus models we strive to use standardized hardware wherever possible. The following parts list is provided to help you correctly order parts from your local dealer.

Horst Link:

1. M5 x .8 X 25mm Flat Head Cap Screw (Qty 2)
    2. Igus Bushings Part #JFI 0809-04 (Qty 4)
    3. Horst Link Pivot Pins (Titus Specific) (Qty 2)

Main Pivot:

1. M8 Main Pivot Bolt (Titus Specific) (Qty 1)
    2. Aluminum Main Pivot Washers (Titus Specific) (Qty 2)
    3. Aluminum Main Pivot Compression sleeve (Titus Specific) (Qty 1)
    4. Sealed Cartridge Bearing Part # BB 6802 2RS

Rocker Pivot:

1. 5mm Rocker Bolts (Titus specific) (Qty 4)
    2. Aluminum Rocker Pivot Spacer Washer (Titus Specific) (Qty 4)
    3. Sealed Enduro cartridge bearing part # 608 2RS MAX (Qty 4)

Shock Mounting:

M8 x 1.25 X 55mm Socket Head Cap Screw (Qty 1)
    M6 x 1 X 45mm Socket Head Cap Screw (Qty 1)
    M6 x 1 Nyloc Nut (Qty 1)
    M6 x 1 Washer (Qty 1)

Hanger:
    Replaceable derailleur hanger (Titus Specific) (Qty 1) Middle Chain ring nut and bolt (Qty 1) "

Oddly, Titus doesn't use EnduroMax bearings at the main pivot... I don't know the reason, but maybe they're not suited for the axial loads.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Warp you need to collect all this info, parts, tools and sticky it somewhere

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    Warp you need to collect all this info, parts, tools and sticky it somewhere
    Yep... I know I have this one still to do... Pretty nice puzzle, though.
    Check my Site

mtbr member

just for a frame of reference...

I just had this done on my wife's 4 yr old racer x. I finally got around to doing a complete overhaul, stripped the frame, and the bearings were toast. The bushings worn but not too bad. Surprisingly the bearings at the x link were the most notchy rather than the main pivot.

At any rate, I had the lbs do it. Parts came to $60 and labor was $50. The labor was a pretty good deal because it's not nearly as cut and dry as replacing the bearings on my ventana. There's an aluminum lip or two that gets in the way, at least when using the specialized bearing tool. The Enduro bearing kit is a pretty good deal at $35 compared to what I got charged but I think the lbs ordered everything separate. They had the bushings in stock but not the bearings and it came out to more I guess. Hope that helps. I was surprised at how trashed they were after 4 years of moderate use. Maybe 3000 offroad miles. Periodic maintenance is probably more key with the Horst Link setup than others, like say the 4-bar?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm due for a bearing/bushing overhaul but the enduro-seals website sells a kit that is 8 piece and competitivecyclist sells a kit that is 14 piece. How can they be so different?

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveHeart
    I'm due for a bearing/bushing overhaul but the enduro-seals website sells a kit that is 8 piece and competitivecyclist sells a kit that is 14 piece. How can they be so different?
    They include different things...

Enduro's includes only the bearings. Competitive should contain the HL bushings (6 pcs) and maybe the main shaft and spacers (3 pcs) at least more.

Check with Competitive, maybe Eric can chime in and make it clearer.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    They include different things...

Enduro's includes only the bearings. Competitive should contain the HL bushings (6 pcs) and maybe the main shaft and spacers (3 pcs) at least more.

Check with Competitive, maybe Eric can chime in and make it clearer.
    Competitive kit has:

4 (four) main pivot bearings
    4 (four) rocker bearings
    2 (two) pivot washers
    4 (four) Horst bushings.

I'm guessing Enduro just sells the bearings. I'm leaning toward the Competitive kit. I mean, if your going to take the bike apart, might as well replace all the replaceables. Enduro has that nice tool though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

titus horst link bushings

Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    The HL nylon bushings are actually "Igus Bushings Part #JFI 0809-04 (Qty 4)" as stated in the old Owner's Manual that used to be on Titus' Site.

Horst Link:

1. M5 x .8 X 25mm Flat Head Cap Screw (Qty 2)
    2. Igus Bushings Part #JFI 0809-04 (Qty 4)
    3. Horst Link Pivot Pins (Titus Specific) (Qty 2)
    Hi Warp,

I have a 2002 Titus Racer-X and thinking of replace my Horst Link Bushings (to be honest: 3000 km off road riding with never any service and the rear still feels fine but still, the manual says every 6 -12 month to lube them and 2-3 years replace them....)

Are those Igus bushings used on that particular frame of 2002?

Having trouble to find them here in the Netherlands (since it is all metric here... ) so I was thinking of ordering directly from Igus (gee, speedgoat is charging 30 bucks for shipping for these bushing at only a few grams ).

If I order them directly from Igus ofcourse I need to know if these are the correct ones.

thanskalot,
    marcel

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by marcel-titus
    Hi Warp,

I have a 2002 Titus Racer-X and thinking of replace my Horst Link Bushings (to be honest: 3000 km off road riding with never any service and the rear still feels fine but still, the manual says every 6 -12 month to lube them and 2-3 years replace them....)

Are those Igus bushings used on that particular frame of 2002?

Having trouble to find them here in the Netherlands (since it is all metric here... ) so I was thinking of ordering directly from Igus (gee, speedgoat is charging 30 bucks for shipping for these bushing at only a few grams ).

If I order them directly from Igus ofcourse I need to know if these are the correct ones.

thanskalot,
    marcel

Yes, they're the same...

Your best bet is Bikerbob.com ... Order a rebuild kit from them. He knows 1,001 ways to ship them to you. . Service is top notch from Bob.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    thanks warp, that was a lightning fast response!
    I'll contact bob's!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Rocker Pivot and Seat Stay Bearings

Warp quoted

Rocker Pivot:

1. 5mm Rocker Bolts (Titus specific) (Qty 4)
    2. Aluminum Rocker Pivot Spacer Washer (Titus Specific) (Qty 4)
    3. Sealed Enduro cartridge bearing part # 608 2RS MAX (Qty 4)

The Rocker Pivot requires 698 2RS MAX bearings NOT 608.

Do not make the same mistake as me and order 608s. They will not Fit.

I have a 2005 Racer X. See reply from Titus

Hi Tim, the rocker bearing and seat stay bearings should be a 698 for the Racer X.
    I hope that helps some!

Bre Rue
    Tech Support, Design and Engineering
    Planet X USA
    57 NE Hancock St.
    Portland, OR 97212
    503-477-6182

Happy Trails all