mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Racer X VS Moto-Lite AGAIN!

Long time lurker and first time poster. It's time for new new bike and I can't decide between the RX and ML. I've read all the threads, reviews, etc and i'm still undecided.

I'm coming off of a Giant NRS1 which fits me well and has suited my type of riding. I live in CT and most of my riding is semi-buff to rocky singletrack. I enjoy the technical sections whether up or down and powering through rock gardens, over streams and logs, rollers, etc. I don't look for jumps and rarely attempt even the smallest ones. I don't race and I'm 45, 5'8", 170LBS.

I would prefer a RX and it's lighter weight and climbing ability and wanted to ask the combined wisdom of the forum if you think the RX is well suited to my type of riding. Do I have to be concerned about frame durability, BB clearance, etc with the RX? Is the ML better suited for what I ride?

Also, I'm considering buying used and know that the 2006 RX has carbon stays for the first time. Have there been any other significant frame changes in the RX from say 2003-2005? The Titus website only has current year data. Also, if buying used anything specific I should look for other than the obvious?

I've enjoyed being educated by you guys and look forward to your replies and hope to join the team shortly.

TIA
    Steve

mtbr member
    Steve, I'm in your area and have a Moto-Lite if you'd like to see one up close. I think it's a great bike for CT riding. Infact I had it out at Huntington earlier today.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I own a 2006 Racer X 100 - just purchased to replace my 2005; and A 2006 Motolite. The Racer X 100 climbs better and the Racer X handling is quicker and snappier. The ML descends better and is more plush in the 5 inch mode. Accordingly, the ML is better in rock gardens. Both bikes are super stiff, stick to the ground and rail corners. I am 200 lbs and I have no concerns about the durability of the Racer X 100. The Racer X 100 can handle two to three foot drops. The ML can handle larger drops - stating the obvious.

The biggest changes between 2003 to 2005 are the hydroformed downtubes, Carbon X-link Rocker. I don/t think the Racer X 100 was available from Titus in 2003 - but I could be wrong. In 2006, TItus added the carbon seat stays. I have owned numerous 4 inch travel bikes and I have always come back to the Racer X 100. The Racer X 100 is the best climbing bike I have ever ridden.

I also really like the Motolite. It is very quick and fast for a 5" travel bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you are not racing go for the MotoLite. I owned both up until 2 days ago. I sold my 2005 Racer X. I never felt as confident on the Racer X as I do on the Motolite. The difference in climbing if you are not racing is hardly worth mentioning. Going through rock gardens and technical downhills the Motolite wins by a landside. It has to be the most confidence inspiring bike I have ever owned. It is beyond plush going down but amazingly efficient climbing.

ಠ_ಠ
    This might be beating up the obvious...

But, have you checked out the FAQ section on the Titus website (here).

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr

But, have you checked out the FAQ section on the Titus website (here).

What would they know?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    [QUOTE=dulyebr]This might be beating up the obvious...

But, have you checked out the FAQ section on the Titus website

Yes I have. helpful, but I was also looking for some first hand experience with either bike on my specific type of terrain.

Thanks

[QUOTE=hasbeen]
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr

But, have you checked out the FAQ section on the Titus website

Yes I have. helpful, but I was also looking for some first hand experience with either bike on my specific type of terrain.

Thanks

Let us know what you decide? Good luck...

I rode 'Whistler XC'

Having owned both, I think ML because....

....unless you're a serious racer.

The weight is almost a non-issue. I doubt you'll really feel the difference.

IMO the ML is THE BEST do-it-all bike money can buy. It climbs incredibly well with simply phenomenal traction(better than the RX in my opinion). Out the saddle it saps a bit more power, but that's to be expected. Stay in the seat with a smooth stroke and you won't believe a 5inch travel bike can climb this well.

Plus she gives you a God-complex on the descents! It's just SO confidence inspiring and just FAAAASST. Such a smooth handler, stable yet quick and snappy. Patient and forgiving. I'm emotionally attached to it/her. I love her....really.

Maybe I just need a girlfriend?

But seriously, if like you say you like the techy, rocky stuff.....I SERIOUSLY think the ML will serve you better!!!

You'll love either though!

Good luck....feel free to ask more questions!
    If I wanted your opinion I'd give it to you

Paper or plastic?
    The only real difference in weight is about 1 lb (0.5 for the frame and about 0.5 for the fork) between the ML and the RX. The other meaningful difference is the head angle.

You can always weight weenie your ML down to 27# or so. I like the relaxed head angle of the ML for steep downhills as it is very confidence inspiring.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

I rode 'Whistler XC'
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    You can always weight weenie your ML down to 27# or so.
    Hey Zorg....sorry if I seem like an a$$ for pointing this out everytime the weight issue comes up, but I have to say it again: I've seen with my own eyes a medium ML weight-weenied to 25lbs with RS Rev fork, DT 240 hubs, Stan's Olympics, FRM cranks, X.O triggers and rr der, ti seatpost etc etc

Can't get the guy to post pics though!
    If I wanted your opinion I'd give it to you

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by MintSauce
    Hey Zorg....sorry if I seem like an a$$ for pointing this out everytime the weight issue comes up, but I have to say it again: I've seen with my own eyes a medium ML weight-weenied to 25lbs with RS Rev fork, DT 240 hubs, Stan's Olympics, FRM cranks, X.O triggers and rr der, ti seatpost etc etc

Can't get the guy to post pics though!
    I'm sure it's doable, my brother in law has a Giant Reign down to 27#. I should have qualified it as so: "down to 27# for a reasonable amount of cash".
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

I <3 NM
    Look into demo'ing a Ti 29er Rx... I think you'll be plesently surprised.

Or the Al version, the Asylum, made by Titus for Speedgoat.com
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hasbeen
    Long time lurker and first time poster. It's time for new new bike and I can't decide between the RX and ML. I've read all the threads, reviews, etc and i'm still undecided.

I'm coming off of a Giant NRS1 which fits me well and has suited my type of riding. I live in CT and most of my riding is semi-buff to rocky singletrack. I enjoy the technical sections whether up or down and powering through rock gardens, over streams and logs, rollers, etc. I don't look for jumps and rarely attempt even the smallest ones. I don't race and I'm 45, 5'8", 170LBS.

I would prefer a RX and it's lighter weight and climbing ability and wanted to ask the combined wisdom of the forum if you think the RX is well suited to my type of riding. Do I have to be concerned about frame durability, BB clearance, etc with the RX? Is the ML better suited for what I ride?

Also, I'm considering buying used and know that the 2006 RX has carbon stays for the first time. Have there been any other significant frame changes in the RX from say 2003-2005? The Titus website only has current year data. Also, if buying used anything specific I should look for other than the obvious?

I've enjoyed being educated by you guys and look forward to your replies and hope to join the team shortly.

TIA
    Steve
    Do you plan to keep your NRS?. If yes and it is nicely speced get an ML. Than you have two different bikes you can ride. Sure RX and RX100 are amazing bikes but they will feel and perform closer to the NRS than the ML.
    Otherwise you realy need to do the trade off yourself depending on your prefferences. Reading your descriptions, my guess is that the RX is more than enough for your needs.
    The guys here convinced me to get an ML and I am thankfull for that but I am not sure I got all the good arguments. I ended up buying Yeti 575 since I could not demo an ML and I love it but I kept my HT and it's fun to have both.
    If you keep only one bike and get the ML, you'll love it but I am sure you will miss your NRS sometimes. If you get the RX you will forget the NRS as the TITUS is a much better tool for the same purpose.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    All-

Thanks for your help and insight. I ordered an ML with "all mountain II" build from my LBS yesterday. I wanted the ano grey, but they were sold out of them in medium. Apparantly there was a mad rush of orders after the posting of the discount yesterday. Blue was the only color available in medium.

Should be ready next week. Can't wait to break her in!

Get out of town!

I love my RX 100 so I am biased

Do you have a computer on your bike, and do you always look at lap times, average speed, etc? If you do get the Racer X, if not get the Motolite

Honestly, I like to do a little racing and actually do like the watching my avg. speed, etc. I also want a bike that climbs like a goat (although I am sure the Motolite does as well). If you are 90% or more a cross country rider that likes to go fast then buy the RX. However, if a ride is strictly about fun every time you ride, and you truly ride technical terrain as much or more than singletack then the Motolite is the perfect weapon for you.
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

Get out of town!
    BTW - I heard that Titus may be introducing a lighter weight version of the Motolite soon? Anyone?
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

Quote Originally Posted by jsnk1975
    BTW - I heard that Titus may be introducing a lighter weight version of the Motolite soon? Anyone?

Now I'm completly confused??? You mean the Racer-X?

A liter Moto-LITE!??

Get out of town!
    That's what I heard..not sure if there is any truth to it. I guess we will see.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Lighter AND stronger? Of course, not cheaper but lighter and stronger would be very interesting. I'm waiting till the word starts flying out from Interbike.

Get out of town!
    My brother will be at Interbike and I asked him to give me daily reports I wish I could go because that would be the first bike I went after...if the reports are true.