mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Racer X Ti - Chain Suck

Hello,

Thought I could sort this out myself however after visiting my bike shop and playing around with settings I keep getting chain suck when peddaling uphill and the chain is slightly dirty.

Since the day I purchased my large size Titus Racer X ti I've been getting chain suck 2006. When everything is lubed up it's ok but when the drivetrain is even the slightest bid muddy, it sucks the chain while climbing both seated or standing.

07 xtr Rear derailleur New
    New chain xtr chain
    07 XTR cassette new
    bottom bracket has the correct number of spacers
    Chain is well lubed but when dirty it doesn matter
    The chain is not particularly dirty when it gets sucked up.

"chain suck" I mean the chain and rear derailleur jockey system gets caught up while peddaling. I'm not refering to chain suck in the front crank area.

Scenario:
    While climbing a steep hill

- It only gets chain suck when the chain is on the smallest ring (on crankset) and largest 2 cogs on the rear cassette.

- When I'm on the middle front chain ring it doesnt suck the chain, very bizarre.

- And this occurs when I'm climbing, not on the flats... a steep uphill will suck the chain when i'm in the granny gear and small front crank ring.

This is definitely one of those hard to pinpoint problems on bikes, not straightforward. Something only a seasoned mechanic would know how to rectify...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What cranks. Are they new as well? Tried changing the granny ring just for good measure in case it's a bent tooth? Any way to test rear end alignment?
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Titus Racer X
    Lynskey Singlespeed

"El Whatever"
    Ah... that's the problem, it's Shimano... Get some X.0 and get done with it.

Just joking....

Yeah sounds weird. Does it happen after a shift has been made on the front rings?

Could it be the tyre catching up some knobs ??

Blackagness posted some way to stop chainsuck by putting a zip tie on the chainstay. I havn't tried it but people says it works.
    Check my Site

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Ah... that's the problem, it's Shimano... Get some X.0 and get done with it.

Just joking....
    yeah so that it breaks as it doesn't pivot (kidding too)

hoiminglee, one question..

are you sure the front is "perfect"? as for the RD to come up, you would need to be "trapping" the chain somewhere... (usually between the cranks and chain stay)
    Last edited by crisillo; 06-13-2007 at 06:34 AM.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    yeah so that it breaks as it doesn't pivot (kidding too)
    Then I see a few Shimano's breaking in the future

In the Shadows, if you catch my drift...
    Check my Site

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Then I see a few Shimano's breaking in the future

In the Shadows, if you catch my drift...
    (they still pivot though, the pivot was moved not REmoved )
    I'll let you know as soon as I get my paws on one

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Chain too long?

You say it only happens granny-gear (crankset-point), not middle. Huge difference in chain length there and maybe the rear-d isn't keeping enough tension on the chain? This may be further exacerbated by the climbing situation and increased weighting on the rear wheel and weight distribution on the bike - does the behavior persisted on the same hill when comparing seated-vs-standing climbing?

If the '07 xtr rear-d can be adjusted to put more tension on the chain, that may help too, if not try shortening the chain.

note: for a well behaved cyclist who never cross-gears, you may consider cutting the chain using the big-ring and 1- or 2- cogs down on the rear cassette, instead of on the largest cog.

THIS CAN BE DANGEROUS though if you sometimes find yourself cross-geard big-big, something will have to give.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    What you describe is impossible. Are you sure yours is titanium?

mtbr member

Sounds like

The B tension screw adjustment is off and the jockey pulley and cogs are squeezing the chain, in other words the jockey pulley is too close to the cogs and causes tension on the chain

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    The B tension screw adjustment is off and the jockey pulley and cogs are squeezing the chain, in other words the jockey pulley is too close to the cogs and causes tension on the chain
    Firstly, thanks for all the suggestions!

OMG, craigstr maybe right, let me try this out over the weekend! Here's why I think he's right. As you Titus racer x owners may know you get a lot of derailleur slap due to the 4 bar rear linkage design over bumps. Titus recommended i reverse the B tension screw and screw it in backwards on the reverse side just a few threads. This eliminated the derailleur slap 100%. However i'm thinking in doing this little trick there would be some sort of trade-off. this chain suck maybe the trade off...

The one about the front ring be out, they are very worn for sure, never been changed so I should change the rings out for sure anyways

I would like to switch my rear derailleur to sram XO however i spent a nice $$ on the new xtr. I had sram xo but found the xo shifters were basically crap... they easily got mud inside the trigger shifter housing clogging them up on rainy, muddy races. so i switched back to xtr but the shimano's give me derailleur slap...