mtbr member
    Jul 2008

racer X Seatpost? Layback or inline

Getting the parts for my Racer X which arrives next week. Not sure about the seatpost.

Going to run an I beam. I'm just under 5'11". Will run either a 70 or 90 stem ( got both of those) 170 cranks (I'm a spinner) Flat bars and bar ends.

What are you gus running? I'm only just re-venturing into xc and 24hr racing, been riding shorter bikes with shorter TT WIDE bars (780mm) and 50mm stems so it could be a shock (well I suppose the roadie is long and low)

The I beam does have a wide range of fore aft adjustment.

Bike Addiction
    I'm 5' 8 on a medium so this may not apply but here goes. My RX came with a straight post. I have tried a set back and did not like the feel of it. I am running a 70mm stem that feels perfect for me but have not tried a shorter. I'm sure taller people with set back posts will chime in soon. I also have yet to be fitted by a pro so take these comments with a grain of salt.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    It depends on the proportion of you legs, where you like to put your center of gravity and various other factors. Impossible to recommend based on what you posted. Try one and see how your spin feels.
    One thing is for sure you should set up your saddle so your pedal stroke is at its strongest. And then adjust your reach to the bars with stem length. Don't ever compromise power by trying to adjust seat to bar reach at the seat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifer
    It depends on the proportion of you legs, where you like to put your center of gravity and various other factors. Impossible to recommend based on what you posted. Try one and see how your spin feels.
    One thing is for sure you should set up your saddle so your pedal stroke is at its strongest. And then adjust your reach to the bars with stem length. Don't ever compromise power by trying to adjust seat to bar reach at the seat.
    What he said. It's personal preference and what you feel comfortable with.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quite often bike shops will have old seat post around. Ask them if you can borrow two of them to experiment with different positions. I would also recommend doing the same with different length stems. Even if you have to pay the bike shop a little bit it's worth it just to get your position dialed in just right.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Cheers guys, gone with a layback based on previous experience, pics I've seen, advice of here, but I-Beam/Bel Air SL so a light combo at 360g but with lots of fore/aft adjustment.
    Got a few stems, 70/80/90 so should be ok. I've never ridden with more than 90mm on the stem.
    If I'm at the extreme I'll change it.

ballbuster
    I'm rolling a RacerX29er, medium, 24" TT with a 110mm stem and H-Bars. The frame is a tad shorter than I'm used to, but it fits fine.

I'm running a straight seatpost on there. I think if the frame fits fine, you don't need the setback post, but that's me. I don't like my seat too far back in the rails. I like an effective steep seat tube angle. Maybe I just feel it's easier to get behind the saddle when going down the gnar gnar techy stuff.