mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Racer X rider size question

I'm 6'5" 225lbs and considering purchasing an '03 XL Racer X. I mainly ride XC types of trails. Anyone care to encourage or discourage this purchase considering my size?

mtbr member
    Do you ride now? If so what size frame do you have? I would think that you are to tall for this frame. I would call Titus and ask for there advice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My current bike is an XL Gary Fisher 29er hardtail. I think I'm a bit tall for the frame; but w/o having a custom build, I'm probably SOL... My main concern w/ the Racer X (and w/ any other frame) is my weight.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by canadajb
    I'm 6'5" 225lbs and considering purchasing an '03 XL Racer X. I mainly ride XC types of trails. Anyone care to encourage or discourage this purchase considering my size?

The XL has a 24.6" TT so with a longer stem and a layback post, it might be a good XC setup for you. How does that compare TT wise to your current ride? The only way to know for sure is to demo one and try it for yourself. If that doesn't work out you can always go custom with the RX or the Turner Flux is a bit longer and might work better.
    Long Live Long Rides

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by canadajb
    My current bike is an XL Gary Fisher 29er hardtail. I think I'm a bit tall for the frame; but w/o having a custom build, I'm probably SOL... My main concern w/ the Racer X (and w/ any other frame) is my weight.

The Racer-X is a very stiff frame compared to a lot of other full suspension bikes. We have a guy here locally that's around 275lbs and broken every frame he's owned. Some companies stopped honoring their lifetime warranties with him, Specialized one-off'ed him a custom chainstay, etc. Sure he could ride a big heavy FR bike but like he says, he needs all the help he can get. He's been riding the RX-100 for 3 years without trouble.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My GF 29er has a 25.5" top tube and I run w/ a 110mm 10deg stem. The GF genesis geometry has longer TTs and shorter stems. I would expect to use a 120mm stem on other types of frame geometry.

nm+
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm 6ft4 and well over 250lbs. I ride a large Racer-X AL (Most of my hight is in my torso, so I ride a sliughtly smaller frame with a longer stem than most) and mine is the old style before they put in the little rocker link thing (which stiffened it up). I've had mine for over 4 years and it is awesome. Little to no flex and built like a tank, but still insanely light.
    FWIW, I cracked 2 Fishers before this. Also, my dad (6'3" and 230-200lbs) has a maybe 10 year old Racer-x that is in great condition (except the paint) that was a previous daily rental in moab. They're built to last. His is a large but it has a different geometry than mine. Dad wishes he had a larger bike.
    Also, given my weight, Titus recommended AL over TI because it has less flex.
    The XL Titus is very large. I used to ride an XL Fisher. I recommend a test ride.
    For a big rider, there is no better bike I can think of.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Why not a Motolite?

Why not consider a Motolite? It seems like a good tradeoff between weight, speed, and durability. Then again, those larger sized Racer-Xs have the gusset/brace between the seat tube and the top tube. I retract my statement. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    My husband is 6'4" and ~230lbs ... He went for a 29er Racer-X (called titus and asked them to make him a Ti 29er using the XL Assylum geometry) and he absolutely loves it... He was previously a solid Gary Fisher rider (26er paragon / 29er Rig) and is very comfortable with the Titus geomerty ...

If you like the 29er, you might consider the Assylum (from Speedgoat.com) or a custom 29er Racer-X ..

Is far as weight is concerned, my team sponsor is a pretty big guy (~250 ?) and he's on a large, 26er Racer-X and hasn't had any problems with it.