mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Racer X rear bushing and alignment question...

Last night, I took my 4 mm bolts off the horst link to clean out my bushings. They're pretty clean, and I noticed the sleeve that goes through slides in and out easily. Is that normal? I just wiped them down and put some new grease there, pretty simple.

Second issue. When putting the horst link bolts back on, I had a lot of problems getting them to align. I could get the left side on, but then the right side wouldn't line up. I wrestled with it for a while and no luck. I had released all the pressure on the rear shock so know the shock wasn't causing and alignment issues (I hope). Finally, I took out the left bolt, and put the right in. I was able to push the left side in this time. Still difficult. My question is...should the two bolts line up easily, once you put on side in, shouldn't the other side already be lined up? Did I get a back chain stay or do something wrong? My took the rear wheel off and released the pressure from the shock. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    sounds like normal stuff here. the metal bushings will come out easy. the countersunk bolts can be a little finicky to reinstall. just takes a little practice. not too much though cause you shouldnt have to mess with it too often. lowering the shock pressure makes it easier though. one side in doesnt automatically line the other up. no problem with that though.
    good luck

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I called up Titus and talked to one of the guys over there. He says even with the shock pressure at zero, my situation is normal. He said you should remove the one of the upper bolts on the seat stay (can't remember, either on the x-link or the lower shock bolt). If you take it out, the two horst link bolts should go in smoothly. I'm not worried about it anymore. Thanks for the post.