mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Racer x question

Hi All,

Well got about 100 miles on the new racer x aka 'Black Widow'

Some on and off road miles.

However i have a question. Never having a full suspension before i don't know if this this correct behavior or not.

Basically, stood off the bike put one hand on the handle bars and one under the back of the seat. lift the rear wheel off the ground and you feel rather then hear a click like something is loose or as the weight comes off a pivot point it moves. using a mate we think its the bottom of the shock, like the shock is just moving in its cradle when the bike is unweighted or extending to full travel with a click which you feel through the frame.

I can not feel any thing out the ordinary while riding. Nothing is obviously loose i did go round with a Allen key. I did find one side of the chain stay pivot bearing was loose and tighten that up, made no difference. When the bike is unweighted you can't move anything and nothing feels loose, likewise when the bike is weighted. Its just that transitional of weighted to unweighted you feel the click. Is this loose feeling normal?

Thanks

Joel
    Follow me on Twitter @OnOneCarbon456

Hi I'am an On-One Carbon 456 mountain bike, follow me to find out what i get up to...

Dozer
    Not normal. At least not in my experience. Is there noticeable wheel/swingarm movement accompanying the click?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    sounds like a worn out DU bushing. Check the post here and check out step 18

Tech Tip: Silencing Your Ride | News | mountain-bike-action

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Two things I noticed when I got my new frame and rode it:

One, they forgot to put in the chain stay pivot bushings (where the chain and seat stays connect). When I went to go hard on the pedals the entire drive side rear would shift forward, lol.

Next, make sure your bushings for the rear shock are the correct size and there is no play where they go into the shock. I had bushings for a monarch rear shock that worked flawlessly. I had to run a Cane Creek Cloud Nine rear shock for a time period and there was a small amount of play in the bushings. I could feel it when I lifted up on the back of the seat with the bike unweighted. I was using the same bushings.

Always good to periodically check the torque on all your pivots. You can get a torque sheet from Titus as well.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks i will get it checked out.

Hi I'am an On-One Carbon 456 mountain bike, follow me to find out what i get up to...

mtbr member
    I have this when it's time to change bearings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Problem solved. I must have missed the bolt that holds the shock when I checked them. Was about two turns loose.