mtbr member
    Jun 2006

New question here. Racer X - Old vs. New

Hi,

I noticed that the pre 2001 is slightly different under the shock. It does not have a link. The 2002 and above does. MTB reviews for the older bikes as well as the new ones rate them both a 5 out of 5. So why the improvement? Does it really make a big differnece? If one cannot buy a newer Racer X are the older models just as comparable to the newer ones? In handling, speed, lightness, durabilities, etc...

thanks for your time.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wankel
    Hi,

I noticed that the pre 2001 is slightly different under the shock. It does not have a link. The 2002 and above does. MTB reviews for the older bikes as well as the new ones rate them both a 5 out of 5. So why the improvement? Does it really make a big differnece? If one cannot buy a newer Racer X are the older models just as comparable to the newer ones? In handling, speed, lightness, durabilities, etc...

thanks for your time.

I can't help much, but the swing link was added to help the shock not carrying side loads and improving the lateral stiffness of the rear end. Probably modifying also the suspension behaviour a bit to make it further better.

Sorry, bro. Not flaming you or trying to offend, but if we wouldn't push improvements on "perfect" designs, we'd be riding hardtails with rigid forks... there was nothing wrong with them. I would have rated my old full rigid HT with 5 o' 5 before riding a full susser. Suspension was just better.

In the case of the R-X, Titus has been evolving the bike, pushing it more and more into a better bike. Basically, this is the history of all Titus models, they make a terrific good frame first year and then, they improve it year by year introducing small changes here and there to make the frame better than last year's. Titus never sleeps on their laurels. Of course, not all Titus frames began with the success of the R-X... but by the end of their production, they get to be some of the best (if not the best) bike in its class.

As far as I know, the Racer-X is one of the best bike in its class. You simply can't go wrong with it.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wankel
    Hi,

thanks for your time.
    I think they got rid of custom Fox shocks by adding swing link, older ones used shocks which had extra bushings to take care of side loads.
    Probably someone with real knowledge will answer soon.

K n e e m o i
    You cannot compare the pre 2001 models and the current models, as they are different. It is like saying that a 1984 Cadillac is just as good as a 2006, which is not the case.
    "Prison sports are really fun. I get used as a frisbee, a dartboard, and a second base!" - Kneemoi

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I think that's the biggest difference.

Quote Originally Posted by markom
    I think they got rid of custom Fox shocks by adding swing link, older ones used shocks which had extra bushings to take care of side loads.
    Probably someone with real knowledge will answer soon.
    When they went w/ the swing link it allowed them to use a standard Fox shock. They're based around an 80mm front fork as well. The newer racer-x can be used with a modern shock which will be night and day better than the float found on the 2001 racer-x. Other than the shock, I'd guess that there isn't that much of a difference between the pre and post 2001 models. I'd stay away from the earlier models simply because of the semi-propritary shock.

Dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Owned a 99 RX.....now own a 03 HH

My old RX is still being ridden.......it was a great bike. The proprietary rear shock of the pre 2001 RXs can be rebuilt by PUSH so that isn't a problem unless you want to run a rear shock other than Fox.

The rear end of the post 2001 frames are slightly stiffer, but both of my bikes had little or no flex in the rear.

I tried running a 100 mm Fox Float on my 99 RX, but didn't like the way it handled....went back to the 80 mm Marzocchi Bomber which was a great fork for that frame.

nm+
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Mostly been covered, but I don't see much of a difference in the old and the new in the way they felt while riding. That why I still have my old-style RX.
    FWIW, my dad has a very old RX with the ALPs shock and ALCOA tubing. Its an interesting beast to ride. It slightly heavier than mine, but the front end seems just a bit stiffer than later RX's.