T.W.O.

Racer X ok for 4X?

I'm about to send the RP23 to push on my wife Racer X, since she's enjoying her new bike I thought I'd take this one over and turn it into a bit more fun bike for me and would have Pushed factory tune accordingly.

I would not be drops but may be some doubles over rollers, and manuals the usual for 4X would the frame hold up. Or it's strictly XC. Shiggy?
    Last edited by mimi1885; 12-10-2010 at 07:50 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    I'm about to send the RP23 to push on my wife Racer X, since she's enjoying her new bike I thought I'd take this one over and turn it into a bit more fun bike for me and would have Pushed factory tune accordingly.

I would not be drops but may be some doubles over rollers, and manuals the usual for MX would the frame hold up. Or it's strictly XC. Shiggy?
    MX, motocross? I would not put a motor in a Racer X.

I do not yet know enough about the specific bikes, though this is not what the RX was designed for.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    MX, motocross? I would not put a motor in a Racer X.

I do not yet know enough about the specific bikes, though this is not what the RX was designed for.

Sorry, 4 cross/mountain cross(not sure which term is the right one) , and pump track kind. I have and RX and wondering if I could run 1x9, shorter stems high riser bar fat(ter) low knob tires and roll it on the pumptrack/BMX track.

Since RX has shortish Chainstay, and low BB I figure the blue grove type track should make it fun, but don't know if that would be too much for the RX's linkage.
    Thanks

mtbr member

I would not be drops but may be some doubles over rollers, and manuals the usual for 4X would the frame hold up. Or it's strictly XC. Shiggy?
    Racer X is totally an XC bike. There are other bikes that are better suited for what you want. If you do decide to use the Racer X on a double please film it for the LOLz. I'm sure you'll love the 71 HA and long top tube for the take offs and landings. On the plus side, once the frame folds the top tube will be shorter, so manuals will be easier.

T.W.O.
    You're right, you're right, I know you're right The cheap would come out expensive. It just sucks that I won't even get a third of what I paid for. Oh well! Ya better bite the bullet and get the right frame for the job

As of now it's a toss between Scott voltage yz ltd, or the SC Jackal. I don't think that RX would fold but you'd never know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The Titus Racer-X frame is designed to cover as much ground as quickly as possible over NORBA style XC race courses and was engineered and weighted optimized to that end. It is definitely not engineered to handle the abuse and stress that Dual Slalom or 4X Cross racing entails. To use a Titus Racer-X frame in that manner may cause severe injury to the rider and is not technically recommended.

With that being said it's best to think of the Titus Racer-X as the Porshe 959 Dakar Rally Car of the Titus line. :-)

Youtube Clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQeDu3sHYUw

mtbr member
    You're right, you're right, I know you're right The cheap would come out expensive. It just sucks that I won't even get a third of what I paid for. Oh well! Ya better bite the bullet and get the right frame for the job

As of now it's a toss between Scott voltage yz ltd, or the SC Jackal. I don't think that RX would fold but you'd never know.
    I was going to suggest the Jackal. Mountain Cycles may have a good and cheap DJ bike available by the time you're ready too. I almost bought a Rumble a few years ago, but decided I would never really use it so why waste the money.
    I'd also look at Azonic, Intense and Surley. I'm not sure if Surely's "big" bike will have the geometry for what you're looking for though.