mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Racer X or Motolite for me?

After getting back into mtbing after a 5 year hiatus, I'm now the very happy owner of a 08 Racer X and very much a Titus fan. I love how well it climbs and I never knew I could go so fast! I would definitely describe myself as a XC rider; I don't do any of the fancy stuff but just like to ride as hard and fast as I can and love the feeling of making it through a long climb. I don't race, but I may in future. The trails I ride on (central NC) are what I would call moderately technical - twisty singletrack with roots and rock gardens - and the Racer X seems to handle it all perfectly fine. I did test a Motolite when I bought the Racer X, but it was just a parking lot ride. I ended up with the Racer X because I figured it fit my riding style the best. But, I still wonder if a Motolite with the extra inch of active travel would help me to be a better rider and make my rides more enjoyable, especially now that I'm seeing closeout prices for the Motolite given the introduction of the FTM. I'd love to hear the thoughts of those who've ridden/owned both the Racer X and Motolite. Thanks!

bk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I haven't ridden both, only my Motolite, which I love, but I still have to say, if you're happy, why switch? I am very much like you in my riding preferences and I think if I had a Racer X I'd be every bit as happy with it as my Motolite, given my own love for climbing. The one down side to my Motolite is you really have to pay attention on climbs, to keep that front from wandering.

David B.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

racer x vs motolite

I own a Racer X, was just in Arizona and like you wondered about the Motolite, so I rented one. It was fantastic! the suspension soaked everything up, it climbed nicely and rocketed down any hill I threw at it. I came home and climbed back on my Racer X and a big grin hit my face, I loved it more. They are both great bikes but I am an east coast tight woods, no big hit kind of a guy who likes to try to go as fast as I can on tight twisty technical single track and that is what the Racer X does best. If I lived out west or wanted to do big and bigger drops I might go for the Motolite, but I don't and at this time can only own one bike so the Racer X is the best choice for me. I still do dream about an FTM, because I understand it is the hybrid and excels at both.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks a bunch for the replies, fellas. I had a long drive out of town today so thought about my question and came to essentially the same conclusions. I'm 100% happy with my Racer X and there's a reason I chose it in the 1st place - 'cause it fits my riding style and the trails I ride on. Maybe I'll just get a X carbon!

bk