mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Racer X ,ML-1 , RX-1

Looking to pick up a full suspension frame. Know a couple of Titus riders who really like their bikes. Looking at some of the Racer X closeouts. Saw the great deal on the ML-1 and am tempted by the price and concern over the durability of the X. I ride cross country(love single track) with the occasional small jump. The steel frame I ride now is 4.8lbs with 23.5 top tube. I am 6 foot with short legs and run a set back post. The ML-1 seems a little more all mountain with the head angle but the beefier frame may be better for my weight, 190lbs. I would use my existing Reba race which I can lengthen out to 120mm. So is the X strong enough for my weight, the ML quick enough for cross country/single track? Of course the RX-1 could be a compromise, but do you give up much with the RP2 vs RP23. Any insights would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You need not worry about your weight on any of the bikes that Titus offers, now if you were 250+ then maybe you could warrant some concern. If you ride cross country the majority of the time then I see no need for the extra inch of travel the Moto-Lite and FTM will offer you, especially if you are going to keep your Reba and run it at 100-120mm.

If I were in your position I would try and score one of the Racer X close out deals that lots of people are running right now. However, the new X (replacement of the Racer X) is one dead sexy bike and has improved in every way over the proven Racer X, which is saying quite a bit.

In regards to the RP2 vs. RP23, I would hands down go for the RP23, it is a better shock in every single way. Now the RP2 isn't a bad shock at all, I would simply compare the two as such, the RP2 is like the standard suspension one would find on a Mustang GT and the RP23 is like what you would find on the upgraded Saleen. The 23 simply gives one more tuning options and in turn a better ride for the conditions at hand.

I am not sure where you are located but HammerHead Bikes in Austin, TX has some older ML-1's and a few Carbon Racer X's at really awesome closeout prices.

Good luck with your decision, no matter which bike you end up with you will be completely satisfied because Titus makes some awesome bikes!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks Tejas. I live about 12 hrs from Austin. But I do have a number of cousins who live there. I'll give Hammerhead a call. Thanks again.