mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Racer X cable rub?

So I am out there just loving life on my new Racer X. Had it about 3 months with lots of excellent trail time. Loving the ride.

Question? I've got the 2006 Black Ano version. This weekend I saw a small silver blemish on the seat tube. Looks like the black rubbed off. This is just above the seatstay and I was wondering if it could be from the rear deur cable rubbing when the suspension compresses. Anyone else ever experience this? I thought the ano would be stronger. Suggestions to stop the assault on an otherwise excellent finish?

Loser

Cable rub

You gotta watch those cables, its amazing how quickly they can wear through a finish with a little grit from the trail mixed in.

The first solution is to route the cables so they don't move or hit the frame if they do move. That's obviously not possible with all cables.

In places where that's not possible, just cover the area where it rubs with clear packing tape. I don't know why, but cables can rub right through paint (and even into the aluminum) but they seem to not touch the clear tape. Maybe its a friction thing. The tape on my RX100 has lasted for 3 or 4 months so far without being affected by the rubbing cable. The clear tape is pretty hard to see unless you know its there.

John
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Tape is a good suggestion. I use clear Park glueless tube patches in rub spots. I have them ont he head tube, seat tube and even the seat stay in one spot.

mtbr member
    Another suggestion, I use reflective car tape that is suppose to be used to temporarily repair broken tail lights on mine. It's clear and it seems to be lasting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I appreciate the ideas, but must say I am frustrated with the situation. Seems like the anodized finish was supposed to be the rock-solid version. It has slid on rocks without a scrape, and a bit of cable rub pulls the black off? Not to cross threads, but this is a blow to my expectations like Cocalis leaving Titus. His presence and character with customers was major component of my buying the Titus.
    Still loving the ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by StinkyDad
    I appreciate the ideas, but must say I am frustrated with the situation. Seems like the anodized finish was supposed to be the rock-solid version. It has slid on rocks without a scrape, and a bit of cable rub pulls the black off? Not to cross threads, but this is a blow to my expectations like Cocalis leaving Titus. His presence and character with customers was major component of my buying the Titus.
    Still loving the ride.
    Hate to get off topic but the ano would have rubbed off a Santa Cruz or Turner just alike and you won't find any manufacturer that's going to cover a finish from cable rub. It isn't like it was poor quality ano it's just not going to hold up to cable rub without proection.

information leafblower
    Oct 2004
    I'd assume cable rub's a pretty common issue with the RX cable routing, I got some pretty bad rubs straight through the black ano and into the alloy on my first weekend with the bike (note to self stop buying new bikes in winter).

best solution i've found is the clear anti-scuff tape you can buy from motorcycle dealers - it's super tough, goes on invisible and i've discovered you can also wrap the carbon seat stays in it invisibly...giving them a layer of extra protection.
    i've got one inch, who needs more?

[SIZE="2"](wanted small or medium 93 or earlier race lite, must have bonded TT cable guides) [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I appreciate the tips that are coming in. Wondering if the motorcycle shops might have this stuff in larger quantities at better prices. mmm could use it on the other rides in the stable. By the way, did not mean to suggest that Titus would need to cover this as warranty or whatever. I am blown away with the overall quality. I just thought anodizing would be more resilient.

But hey its Friday, time to get out and ride, with or without cable rub.