Too easily annoyed.

Rockstar versus DW link (style) bikes ...

I am looking very seriously at picking up Rockstar/Racer-x 29, based on the reviews on this site.

Question: Has anyone switched back and forth between the Rockstar horst style suspension, and the DW (Maestro) style suspension designs? (Anthem, Pivot, Turner, Ibis)

I've had a couple of DW link bikes, and really like the way they pedal, and feel energized/locked-out going uphill. Is the Titus going to feel sluggish in comparison (I know it pedals well compared to other horst style bikes.)

Anyway - would just like to hear from someone who has a lot of time on both designs.
    Last edited by morgan1819; 07-29-2011 at 11:42 AM.

Too easily annoyed.
    I guess nobody has ridden both?

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    I ride a Pivot Mach 5 and my Wife rides a Titus FTM. She can climb everything I can. I thought her bike would not be able to make some huge stairstep climbs that my bike can make, but she had no problem. My friend who Rides a Kona and is a better climber can not maintain the traction on the same climb. She keeps it in Pro pedal exept for the downhills.

FWIW the climbs I am reffering to are in Dupont. My Wife is riding on 2.1 Nevegals 30psi tubeless, I am on 2.3 Tioga Psycho Genius 30psi tubeless, and my frined is on Panaracer Fire XC 2.1 35psi with tubes.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan1819 View Post
    I am looking very seriously at picking up Rocktar, based on the reviews on this site.

Question: Has anyone switched back and forth between the Rockstar horst style suspension, and the DW (Maestro) style suspension designs? (Anthem, Pivot, Turner, Ibis)

I've had a couple of DW link bikes, and really like the way they pedal, and feel energized/locked-out going uphill. Is the Titus going to feel sluggish in comparison (I know it pedals well compared to other horst style bikes.)

Anyway - would just like to hear from someone who has a lot of time on both designs.
    I have not ridden a DW link in a while (all shortish test rides).

I do have many hours on the FTM Carbon, Rockstar and the preproduction RX29 Carbon.
    Always been impressed with their climbing manners and grip. On a recent ride others were commenting on the loose chunky rock on the way up. I was on the RX29C and barely noticed. Never used the platform setting on the shock.

I think any suspension bike can feel sluggish, depending on what you are use to riding, and how the bike/suspension is setup. I have been on short link bikes that i need to wait for the suspension to "finish" before I can continue my move. Not the case with any of the Titus bikes I have ridden.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Too easily annoyed.
    Thanks Shiggy. I agree that the Titus horst link bikes have always climbed techy stuff very well, and are just plain fun.

I think I'm going to have to get one out on the trail to really answer my question. I do like the 'launch you forward' pedal feel of the short link bikes, though.

I <3 NM
    I owned an Asylum 29 (pre-RX 29r) and an exogrid Racer X 29r for a few years, which I sold for a Pivot Mach 429 a couple years ago.

Here's my personal experiece:

Climbing:
    My old Racer X's never wanted to keep the front wheel planted on climbs. It liked to wander all over the trail. This is not the case with the Pivot 429. The front wheel tracks right where you want it to and it climbs much much better than the RX ever did.

Rough Chunk:
    My old RX's weighed 27 lbs and on rough chunk it always felt like it was on the verge of breaking apart. Most of the trail impacts were translated directly to my body. Not so with the 29 lbs Pivot 429. The dw*link absorbs most of the shock making chunk fun!

Decending:
    Turn off the pro-pedal on the Pivot and settle back for a fun, comfortable run down hills. The RX's always seemed to take a battering on the way down.

However, I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my '06 FCR exogrid singlespeed. I shall never sell it.

Last edited by MTBNate; 09-06-2011 at 08:17 PM.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    MTBNate looks like the Sandia foothills. If it is and your bike had feelings it would love you right back. Those trails should be the Mecca for all 29er hardtails. 29ers are crazy fast and fun on the rolling flow those trails provide.
    Makes me homesick.
    Last edited by Rovertd; 10-17-2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: you bike changed to your bike

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovertd View Post
    MTBNate looks like the Sandia foothills. If it is and you bike had feelings it would love you right back. Those trails should be the Mecca for all 29er hardtails. 29ers are crazy fast and fun on the rolling flow those trails provide.
    Makes me homesick.
    Yep it is and don't tell folks ABQ is a mecca... we have enough folks romping the foothills 5mins from town as it is...

I can relate to a little of what Nate says, but I for one, still dig my RX29er... only drawback I can comment on and it is probably better with the Pivot is the 12" BB Height... I smack pedals a bit and it so drives me crazy, but I just love the ride of the XO. And sorry Nate that your bikes are sooooo heavy. My RX is 25lbs as it sits here (probably due to the Lefty) and in the right hands it will clean most anything!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Racer-X 29er versus other DW link (style) bikes ...-img_3331web.jpg  

Racer-X 29er versus other DW link (style) bikes ...-img_3332web.jpg  

Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB