11 is one louder than 10

Racer X 29er built - pictures

Well, here it is.

Thus far, I can say I really dig it. 50 miles or so thus far. For the riding I do here in Michigan, it's really a great bike.

Now the big decision comes if I should sell my Ti Motolite...

Both are awesome, but budget wise I should sell one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

11 is one louder than 10

current parts breakdown

I don't know that this will change much but for those interested.

RX 29er - small (23.25 inch TT)

2009 Reba Team Maxle, reduced to 95 mm of travel, running with a bit more negative spring to pull it down and make it more supple while maintaining steering precision.

Wheels - Crossmax 29ers - My first non KING wheels in many moons. I do notice the slower engagement, but the wheels are fast and stiff and running them tubeless is easy. Would like Mavic to go to the ITS-4 engagement.

XTR Cranks with King BB - may go to a 20t small ring

SRAM pc 971 chain

XT 11-34 cassette

XO r.der

XT BB circa 2005, hey it was in the parts bin, works great, lighter than the dual pulls

XO twist shifters

Juicy Ultimate Brakes with 185 front rotor (had a roundagon 185 in the parts bin, it's heavy but quiet may try a lighter rotor, but the silence on this is nice)

Cane Creek S-8 headset - in the parts bin

EC 90 carbon seat post

EA50 stem (100mm)

syntace carbon bars 12deg sweep

ESI grips

WTB laser V stealth saddle - best saddle I've ever ridden, even have it on the road bike.

GEAX Saguaro 2.2 TNT tires with 1 cups stans

Time Atac XC carbon pedals

Some parts stolen of my Ti Motolite as I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to keep the 2 bikes or not.

50 miles thus far and I really like it. Wish Mavic would put that quicker engaging rear hub on all wheelsets. Tires mounted up easy though and have lost virtually no air. Still playing with correct pressures on the front fork. Bike is fast, biggest advantage here for me in West Michigan - Sand Performance, Biggest Disadvantage, it's not as flickable or as quick in the air. Both of which I expected.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, for me it was a 26 versus 29 thing. I just felt more stable on a 29er even though at first, the long/steep climbs felt tougher due to higher gearing. Now I have two 29ers and no 26er so I'd sell the Motolite. Some guys go back and forth but if you can only keep one, keep the one you feel better/faster on. If that happens to be the Racer-X, there it is. I have ridden the ML as well and prefer the RX 29 but again, it is a wheelsize thing for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Green Giant, instead of going to a twenty tooth chain ring. Consider running the SRAM 11-36 cassette. I am hoping that SRAM willl come out with shifters that will allow their new XX cassette to be run with a tripple chainring crank.

Sopwithcamel

11 is one louder than 10

what I'm really hoping for...

Quote Originally Posted by sopwithcamel
    Green Giant, instead of going to a twenty tooth chain ring. Consider running the SRAM 11-36 cassette. I am hoping that SRAM willl come out with shifters that will allow their new XX cassette to be run with a tripple chainring crank.

Sopwithcamel
    Is that Shimano would come out with a XTR level crankset that was 20-30-40/42.

10 speed in the rear doesn't really interest me. That said, the 11-36 would be a consideration. But a 20-30-42 cranksset would save weight, where a 36 tooth cassette adds weight.

zep
    mtbr member
    You're probably a strong rider, so you might re-think the need for lower gearing, once you have a few more miles on the 29er. That was my experience, anyway.

If you find the front a bit slow, you might experiment with lowering the fork...I found a material improvement in 'flickability' when I lowered the F29 from 100 to 80mm. Bet that Reba is a great fork--wish the Fox was as tunable.

11 is one louder than 10

so far

Strong rider... eh, maybe but I'm still way too heavy.

I'm going to West Virginia later this week for some riding in the mtn's, so we will see quickly if that 24-34 offers a low enough gear. I've got plenty of torque and power for short bursts, my bigger concern is longer sustained climbs where my fat ass hurts me.

As for the steering, it's quick enough. When I think of flickable, I'm thinking bunny hops, things like that. I lowered my reba to about 90mm of travel and it steers GREAT.