Thread: racer x 29er

JDOM for life

racer x 29er

hey guys,

i pulled the trigger on a racer x 29'ers in chainlove but i don't know what build to put on it. any suggestions? i hate impulse buying but the deal was really worth it.... i think.... i'm 5'10 178 lbs w/o gear.

mtbr member
    Congrats! You're going to love it. I was really tempted by those deals too. What did you end up paying?

I'm no expert on building up a bike so I'll leave most of the suggestions to others.... but I think I would go with a Fox F29 100 fork and some Stans 355 wheels. I really liked the new Elixir brakes I tried at I-bike and if the Elixir R are nearly as good as the CRs, PricePoint has them at $125 per wheel.

I like XT or X9 drive train stuff. I haven't loved the RF cranks. It seems the bearing wear out fast. I've been on the same XT BB for 7 years on my HH100x.

Have fun.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

JDOM for life
    I ended up paying 975 including shipping. Not a bad deal considering it's a brand new Titus.

Why the 100mm fork and not the 80? Isn't the rx 29er designed for an 80mm fork?

I haven't tried the elixirs yet. I should do so. But I'm currently inlvove with my Formula k24s. but for $125/wheel, that is not a bad deal again.

What rotor size should i get? are 4 inches on both wheel enough?

what are the overall weight savings going with an XT groupset compared to an XTR groupset?

Thanks KRob for your inputs! very much appreciated!

BB

Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Congrats! You're going to love it. I was really tempted by those deals too. What did you end up paying?

I'm no expert on building up a bike so I'll leave most of the suggestions to others.... but I think I would go with a Fox F29 100 fork and some Stans 355 wheels. I really liked the new Elixir brakes I tried at I-bike and if the Elixir R are nearly as good as the CRs, PricePoint has them at $125 per wheel.

I like XT or X9 drive train stuff. I haven't loved the RF cranks. It seems the bearing wear out fast. I've been on the same XT BB for 7 years on my HH100x.

Have fun.

jms
    mtbr member

100mm

Quote Originally Posted by bakalboy
    Why the 100mm fork and not the 80? Isn't the rx 29er designed for an 80mm fork?BB
    I'd suggest a 100mm fork, as the medium and larger RX29 frames are designed for a 100 travel fork, and I'm assuming from you're initial post, you're riding one of those sizes.

I use mine for endurance racing and it's set up as follows:
    a first generation Reba [100mm travel], King headset Hope Mono-Mini Pro brakes [160/140 rotors], DT 190/Edge XC wheels, Phil Wood BB, Raceface Turbine LP's 20/30/40 Middleburn chainrings, Paul's Thumbies, XTR derailleurs and cassette, Easton EC 90 post[30.9 x 400mm], Fizik Gobi saddle, Ritchey 110mm x 6 stem and Salsa Pro-Moto carbon bars, and OLD cut down Synchros Cattlehorn bar ends.

Basically a cost no object, bombproof FS endurance rig. Depending on tire choice, it' weighs somewhere between 24 and 25lbs. It's been problem free for the year I've owned it, and the fastest FS bike I've ever ridden. It leaves me with absolutely no excuses for my mediocre results in races.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bakalboy
    I ended up paying 975 including shipping. Not a bad deal considering it's a brand new Titus.

BB

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger the next time it shows up on CL, what was shipping? I'm in Ca

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That is an awesome deal. I paid $999 from Speedgoat when there were a couple available. I love the 100mm Reba on that bike. I would not use a 80mm unless I had some smooth and really twisty race courses to use the bike on. It is designed for a 100...maybe except for the small. I think it works very well with that fork.

Let us know what you think. Mine is around 28 lbs but has some heavy hubs (CK 20mm/heavy-duty rear) and some "non-race" parts but it feels pretty light and the bike is really fast. The Racer-X is the fastest bike I have ridden as well, and easily edges out even the Mojo which was pretty quick. I'm faster on it than my Moots as well but I just can't ride HTs very fast when things get rough.

Happy Trails
    Is there a way on CL to get an alert when a particular product pops up, or do I just need to keep obsessively clicking for a RX29? I guess the CL price is only $150 bucks more than Backcountry outlet. Hmmmmm. Anyone know what price I should be looking for on an RX29 frame? Is $1135 pretty good? That would be a sweet ride for Xterra Tri's. Thanks for posting the photos, too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    $1,136 is still an awesome price, and one you cannot easily get anywhere else. That price includes shipping. No way to get an alert and if you want one, buy it now. Here are a few pics of mine. I like it so much, I have considered buying another and building it really light. Of course, I realize that would be a bit silly so I have not....yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Outlet pricing

These are some compelling prices. But remember that you are not riding the frame alone.
    Before you hit the trails, you need a complex collection of the right components installed and adjusted to work for you.

Chainlove/Backcountry can't provide much more than a frame in a box. Ask for a complete build, or even a headset installed for you and see what they say. Even spare derailleur hanger would be unavailable, let alone other support after the purchase.

Piecing together the right build kit from numerous sources, probably paying a mechanic for installation and adjustments, make it a more expensive task than just scoring a closeout frame.

Granted some of you are experienced bike builders and have the tools and expertise to properly install bottom brackets, headsets, cables, front shocks, etc. And maybe you have a box of just the right components to do it right. But the typical buyer needs more help along the way.

It might be worth the time to check with the traditional sources for Titus bikes, locally or online, to make a fair comparison of what a ready to ride RX 29er will cost. We're all aware of the competive environment and have to price accordingly. And shops understand the need to clear out old stock to free up room and cash for the new stuff

Just keep in mind that there's more to it than getting a low-priced frame at an outlet. A lot of good advice before, during, and after the sale, assembling and adjusting the bike has to count for something.

And might save you some money and avoid some problems over time. Dealers get OEM pricing on Fox forks and other parts, and below wholesale pricing for our demo bikes that might make the $999 RX look expensive after all is said and done.

Worth comparing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This was a complete impulse buy for me. I generally would not have considered it and was not even looking for another 29er. When I saw the price, it triggered my impulse and I thought I could sell it for a small loss if I didn't like it.

I'd generally call Chad at Renbarnbicycles for any Titus needs but I saw two left at Speedgoat and pulled the tirgger. I buy all my parts individually anyway and get my wheels custom-built so it was a no-brainer. Saving several hundred dollars worked well, especially since I had just bought two other bikes. I have to send Chad an "appreciation" gift though.

friend of Apex

Another impulse buyer here, not really.

I knew I wanted another 29er in the stable, either a HT or a bike that rides like one. I researched quite a few options and looked at what deals are out there. I saw this frame, and I knew they would put it on chain love sooner or later.... I know it'll fit nicely in the stable.

A 100mm fork was perfect for the front, and I just got a Manitou Minute 20mmTA from Jensen for $268. Deals on pieces parts are out there.

As for a pre-build, I just didn't see a great option for me out there. Prebuilt bikes rarely have all the combo of components I want, especially wheels, and if they do its costly.... So piece-by-piece I will go (way funner this way), and I got a guy that'll fix me up nice. It' the slow time of the year, many independents will help you out. Just get goin soon.
    Last edited by WKD-RDR; 01-18-2009 at 10:44 PM.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

JDOM for life
    $29

Quote Originally Posted by scooter916
    I'm thinking about pulling the trigger the next time it shows up on CL, what was shipping? I'm in Ca

mtbr member
    I got mine for about $160 more on backcountryoutlet.com. I was tempted to wait for chainlove, but now I have about 500 miles of december and jan riding on my bike. BEST BIKE I HAVE EVER RIDDEN. My build is kind of expensive, but it is schweet.

Here are some pics and specs. By the way, the elixirs are fantastic. The fox f29 is really nice too.

Racer-X Set-Up database

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Get the Manitou 100mm Thru axle on Jenson!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not too many Tituses here in Colorado but now we will have two red Racer-X 29ers on the Thursday night rides at Green Mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    I knew I wanted another 29er in the stable, either a HT or a bike that rides like one. I researched quite a few options and looked at what deals are out there. I saw this frame, and I knew they would put it on chain love sooner or later.... I know it'll fit nicely in the stable.

A 100mm fork was perfect for the front, and I just got a Manitou Minute 20mmTA from Jensen for $268. Deals on pieces parts are out there.

As for a pre-build, I just didn't see a great option for me out there. Prebuilt bikes rarely have all the combo of components I want, especially wheels, and if they do its costly.... So piece-by-piece I will go (way funner this way), and I got a guy that'll fix me up nice. It' the slow time of the year, many independents will help you out. Just get goin soon.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Not too many Tituses here in Colorado but now we will have two red Racer-X 29ers on the Thursday night rides at Green Mountain.
    Should have her goin by mid-Feb !

Would have been great to have it for the last TITS ride...

Happy Trails
    I got the RRacer X 29 red frame on CL this morning for $935 ... that's a good price but it's still a lot of coin for a bike... I am telling myself I only clicked "Buy Now" so that I could look it over when it arrives... but I am already looking at groups, and I picked up a work stand today. Anybody got a good tip for wheels? I'll have some photos up in a month. Happy trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you can, go with custom-built wheels. I use Larry at mtnhighcyclery since he is practically local but I know Chad at redbarnbicycles builds some awesome wheels too, and they hold up for a long time.

The choices are easy, depending upon your weight and use but Chris Kings Haldeys are my favorites, followed by Hopes. Rims- Flow, Arch, or Bonty Duster 29ers. Spokes- generally DTs are used. Larry and Chad are also less expensive than some of the others. For example, a Chris King set with Flows and DT spokes should be between $720-$750....if memory serves me well. Hopes will probably be $150-$200 less. The custom set will be far stronger and stiffer than Crossmaxes or some pre-built set.

The other good option is I9 but I'd still prefer a set of CKs or Hadleys built by Larry or Chad. I have three sets of Larry's wheels that rarely need any truing. A couple of buddies use Chad's wheels- same story.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Maybe 3! I got one from CL yesterday too. I'm in Lyons but been thinking of joining Toomanytoys and the B group. Total impulse buy here also. I love my RacerX and MotoLite but have been riding my 29r SS more than any of the others in the stable so when I saw it I figured why not build up a 29r FS. I'll probably move what I can over from the MotoLite, X9 , Avid Elixer CR, RF cranks. Should just needs some wheels,fork and some misc parts to get her going. Anbody want an 07 MotoLite frame and fork??

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cool! You're welcome to join us. I will assist in the sweep with TooManyToyz. You come down here and we can join you for a few epics up north when the time comes. Three Racer-X 29ers? There may not be that many Yetis in the group. There goes my unique rig. I'll have to start bringing the glow-in-the-dark RIP9 soon.

friend of Apex
    Dam that chainluv!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Cool! You're welcome to join us. I will assist in the sweep with TooManyToyz. You come down here and we can join you for a few epics up north when the time comes. Three Racer-X 29ers? There may not be that many Yetis in the group. There goes my unique rig. I'll have to start bringing the glow-in-the-dark RIP9 soon.
    TMT said we've ridden with you at DevilsBackBone. I think you were on the RIP9(?)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chongo
    TMT said we've ridden with you at DevilsBackBone. I think you were on the RIP9(?)
    Yeah, that was me. I remember you both. I also remember TMT blowing up trying to keep up with your wife on Heart Attack Hill.

You should have seen him going downhill (figuratively) on the way back...good guy and can be very entertaining at times.

Members who have read this thread: 0