mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Idea! Racer Rp3 setup help

How much efficiency difference in my 2006 Racer-x for Rp3 if I go from 155 PSI down to 110 or lower?. I weigh 168lbs I just got done racing a fast hard pack with little bumps all over and lots of rocks just seem to take a toll on me and my rear end seemed to bounce around to much. I raced a spider last year didn't feel as effecient but it didn't beat on me. I'm sure I can get my racer-x more active and still climb I Hope. What do most racer run in the RP3?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I weigh 155 lbs and run my RP3 at 100-110 lbs. You shoudl be setting the shock based on SAG and Travel. Are you even using all of the travel at the current pressure?
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Titus Racer X
    Lynskey Singlespeed

mtbr member
    I weight about 180 and run mine at 110 psi in the pro pedal setting. I very seldom use all the travel at that setting. This is set up with about 1/4 sag. I have tried more psi in the past and found the bike to be harsh riding.

WP Local
    Great thread... I bet lots of folks have difference of opinions on this:

My $0.02...

I weigh in at 150. I got my new Motolite about three weeks ago and the shop set the RP3 at about 130psi... Without even riding it on a trail, just peddling around my house I decided that the rear end wasn't "squishy" enough. I lowered the psi down to about 90 based on what I had read about setting sag on the Fox website.

So my first real trail ride... On climbs I struggled more then usual on my old DBR, I was kind of shocked because I really had the highest expectation that my new baby would just knock the socks off my old POS in all regards... But climbing was a struggle.

Downhill was another story... I flew down the hill over everything and hardly even took my a$$ out of the saddle... pure posh...

Now fast forward a few days.. I'm doing the "Downhill" Course at Winter Park; I find that I am haviong problems pre-loading before jumps and landing on the front fork way too much (kudos to the front Fox Tallas which totally absorbed the crappy landing). So I realized this wasn't right either.

So fast forward again a few days to an epic 34 mile ride with my Shock Pump in my Camelbak.

I went up to 140psi (to stiff / bouncy)
    I went down to 80psi (to dull, climbs rough)
    Settled on 120psi, this feels snappy and sporty, more like a Porsche then a Caddy
    (ski refference; more like P-10's then Power-carves)

I feel like one of those folks with a sleep number bed that finally dialed in their "Number"...

My advice, mess around with it... at 168 lbs you might want to try a range from 110psi to 140psi. Don't worry too much about the pro-peddle as I find the difference very very very subtle when riding.

Good luck with it. Let us know what you end up setting it on.

Do It Yourself
    Try start with about 25% sag. At this spot, you should be using most of your travel but very efficient pedalling. You can fine tune 5% or so but that should be close though. Then use your ProPedal lever to further fine tune the pedalling.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I've found that changes as small as 5 psi have a noticeable impact on ride quality. Try making small changes to find the best setting. I'm 150 lbs, w/o gear, and have mine set to 95 psi on an 05 Racer X w/ 06 RP3 shock.

Hairshirt Rider
    I like the 25% sag rule of thumb for the Racer-X. This is where I set mine and I feel like get very good performance out of the RP3. I've also found that the rebound adjustment can have a dramatic effect on how this bike handles in different terrain. Picture my kids in the gargage "tweaking" my fork and shock settings and you can see how I discovered this.

Do like WP did and take your pump with you on a ride and experiment.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Thanks

Thanks for all your help I ended up with 105PSI and also lightend my fork up. The bike and I are now one. The small bumps are no problem and corning is actually better when you can compress the suspension. Thanks again for all the reply's I can know say the Racer-X is better bike then my spider was. Climbs faster. Pedal's more effecient and ride just as good now. Again thanks

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by xcfire
    Thanks for all your help I ended up with 105PSI and also lightend my fork up. The bike and I are now one. The small bumps are no problem and corning is actually better when you can compress the suspension. Thanks again for all the reply's I can know say the Racer-X is better bike then my spider was. Climbs faster. Pedal's more effecient and ride just as good now. Again thanks
    I'm glad you found the sweet spot. It's amazing how many people spend big bucks on full suspension bikes and don't take the time to set it up to work properly. Enjoy the ride.
    Long Live Long Rides