Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894

    Quiet for long enough.........

    Morning guys, As some of you chosen ones already know, my Ti Racer-X has been back in Arizona at its birthplace. Well from my understanding its now on its way back to Montana for it to be shipped back to me in Canada. Service and Turn around time is Phenomenol. It arrived there on Monday of this week, inspected and repaired by yesterday(3 days). Not bad................impressive to say the least.

    What concerns me is this, My headtube developed about a 12 mm vertical crack . As you guys all know I have a few bikes, so my Racer-X sees the least riding.......(total under 200 miles). Titus can not explain reasoning for this crack other then freak of nature. I see it as a bad tubeset(headtube) right off the bat. Now as a consumer should I really just accept a welded patch as the fix for a freakish manufacturing defect.

    I have reserved comment on this topic for 4 weeks till final inspection and resolution. I did not want a flame war, slagfest of all things Titus. People have used this forum to as a B*tch and bemoan session to get their way with warranty as a method of blackmail to Titus to get their warrantee's settles to their satisfaction. And I wanted to take the high road and not go that route.l

    So my new view of Titanium......Do not ever buy a Ti Dual suspension bike......(hardtail yes) as it is not worth the added cost. Lifetime warranttee means "lets weld a patch on the highest stress area of a bike and it is actually stronger". To all those future Ti EG owners that means if the thing cracks, expect it to be patched, may as well buy a Canfield cause you can do that with steel just as well.

    When I see my frame back sometime next week, look forward to Seeing Tiendos resolution of Warranty woes.........it involves Ebay and trying out another manufacturer.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

  2. #2
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,761
    sad it ended up like this.... I hope you end up on a bike you trust and are happy with in the end

    BTW... it's good afternoon over here

  3. #3
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,690
    Bummer...

    You know my opinion on this, as we've discussed before.

    Chin up, man!!
    I know it's easier said than done.
    Check my Site

  4. #4
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Bummer...

    You know my opinion on this, as we've discussed before.

    Chin up, man!!
    I know it's easier said than done.

    I was wondering if Erickson makes the Ti version of the ASR.........
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

  5. #5
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,690
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    I was wondering if Erickson makes the Ti version of the ASR.........
    Yes, he does... http://www.kenteriksen.com/mountain.html

    Fine selection
    Check my Site

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,258
    TE. Where on the head tube was the crack? Did Titus fill in the crack then polish, or actuallt slap a patch on like a new welded plate? This story sux as I have a Ti RX.

    On another note. I used to have a Moots. My buddie was looking for a new roadie after busting up his Calfee. I turned him on to Eriksen af seeing his rediculously nice work at the Hand Made Bike Show.

    He got the Eriksen. He could not be more happy with the entire experience from initial contact to his fantatic bike.

  7. #7
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by orthorex
    TE. Where on the head tube was the crack? Did Titus fill in the crack then polish, or actuallt slap a patch on like a new welded plate? This story sux as I have a Ti RX.

    On another note. I used to have a Moots. My buddie was looking for a new roadie after busting up his Calfee. I turned him on to Eriksen af seeing his rediculously nice work at the Hand Made Bike Show.

    He got the Eriksen. He could not be more happy with the entire experience from initial contact to his fantatic bike.

    Thanks Ortho........they say they have ground out the crack, filled it in, and polished. They have assured me that it stronger then ever (cracked Ti headtube....hmmm strength). So When I get the frame back I will assess it then for the quality.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Morning guys, As some of you chosen ones already know, my Ti Racer-X has been back in Arizona at its birthplace. Well from my understanding its now on its way back to Montana for it to be shipped back to me in Canada. Service and Turn around time is Phenomenol. It arrived there on Monday of this week, inspected and repaired by yesterday(3 days). Not bad................impressive to say the least.

    What concerns me is this, My headtube developed about a 12 mm vertical crack . As you guys all know I have a few bikes, so my Racer-X sees the least riding.......(total under 200 miles). Titus can not explain reasoning for this crack other then freak of nature. I see it as a bad tubeset(headtube) right off the bat. Now as a consumer should I really just accept a welded patch as the fix for a freakish manufacturing defect.

    I have reserved comment on this topic for 4 weeks till final inspection and resolution. I did not want a flame war, slagfest of all things Titus. People have used this forum to as a B*tch and bemoan session to get their way with warranty as a method of blackmail to Titus to get their warrantee's settles to their satisfaction. And I wanted to take the high road and not go that route.l

    So my new view of Titanium......Do not ever buy a Ti Dual suspension bike......(hardtail yes) as it is not worth the added cost. Lifetime warranttee means "lets weld a patch on the highest stress area of a bike and it is actually stronger". To all those future Ti EG owners that means if the thing cracks, expect it to be patched, may as well buy a Canfield cause you can do that with steel just as well.

    When I see my frame back sometime next week, look forward to Seeing Tiendos resolution of Warranty woes.........it involves Ebay and trying out another manufacturer.
    Titanium is a wonderful material to work with. The nice thing about this material versus something like aluminum is that it can be repaired. As I explained to Ti Endo, titanium is a very hard material and stresses can concentrate and create cracks. However these cracks can be repaired and the actually strengthen the area. We first grind down the affected area. The crack is then filled with pooled, melted titanium. The area is then ground smooth and polished back to it's original state. Unlike aluminum, heating titanium makes the makes the material harder and stronger. We have never seen a repaired frame returned for additional cracks/breaks/etc.

    I ask any of you to call, Litespeed, Indy Fab, Lynskey, Seven and ask them about their frame repair methods. I assure you, you will find the same methodology. All of our welders come from the aerospace world and repairs like this was common practice. Do you think Boeing would take a risk of repairing a cracked titanium turbine blade from a jet engine in the same manner if it was not safe? Do you think Titus would send out a product that was not safe? The liability would be far too great for us to do that and we would never put our customers at risk.

    In reality if your frame does have the misfortune of experiencing a crack like Ti Endo's, the resulting frame is actually stronger than the original. If we really thought the material was faulty it would have been replaced accordingly. I have to trust the assessments of our design and manufacturing teams and they take too much pride in their work to send out an inferior product.

    My last thought is this. According to TE, titanium is not a suitable material for a full suspension bike but is OK for a hardtail. His frame cracked at the head tube (not on a weld) . Are the forces on a headtube different on a hardtail versus a full susser? Not really, so it is a flawed argument. I can assure you that titanium is a great material for all kinds of bikes. And yes, you can repair steel in a similar fashion, but with titanium you have the corrosion resistance that isn't available with steel and that's the advantage.

    As always, please contact me if you have any questions with regards to our materials and methods.

    Jeff


    Jeff Titone
    Marketing Manager
    Titus Cycles
    jeff@titusti.com
    www.titusti.com

  9. #9
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Warp, please pull this thread cause it's gonna get nasty.......
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,258
    TE, your and Jeff's answer where what I was looking for. I know Ti can and should be repaired this way. If it looks nice, and was no cost to me, I would be happy with this solution.

    Just my 2 cents.

  11. #11
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,690
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Warp, please pull this thread cause it's gonna get nasty.......
    By your request, I'm closing this thread.
    Check my Site

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •