mtbr member

New question here. Questions about the new dealer setup

This is taken from a post in another thread.

Our business model in the future will be to sell on-one , titus , and planet x directly ourselves , and attempt to replicate our very successful UK business model of great designs , fantastic value , brought to our customers direct from factory to our own wholly owned distribution - giving high performance , and unique designs at exceptional value .

We will still have a place for dealers / showrooms - but these are not your traditional buy n resell dealer operations - more of a showroom for us where customers can view product and order online at that store , and the dealer offers support and backup . We are trialling this in various locations in Europe at the moment and its working pretty well .

I have a few questions. Why would a bike shop want to sell titus/etc now if the customer isn't going to buy from said bike shop? It seems a bit presuptious to assume that a shop would be willing to have product on their floor that the shop doesn't proffit from?

An example: I have a specialized stumpjumper fsr 29'r right next to a titus rockstar. The customer is pretty flexible and not especially brand loyal. Now, I can sell them the stumpy and put 800$ in the register after paying specialized for the stumpy or I can tell them all about the rockstar and then give them a web-address and let them walk out the door. What sounds better for the bike shop?

Maybe I don't grasp the new idea and it isn't as bad as I think it is or local shops. If some one has a better understanding please fill me in! I was really hoping to get a few titus bikes in our shop this summer but if it's just to send people to an "online bike shop" then I'm going to have to rethink things.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    What I thought is that they can order the bike on line and can help you customize it and put it together. They get a small cut, I assume, as well as getting you on accessories.

At the same time, you could just leave and buy the bike online and never deal with the "dealer".

In both models, On-one/Titus is going to have to be paying something to the store for all of this.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    How do you figure the ratio

Home mechanic
    VS
    Riders who can just walk in "I want this, that and ooh I pay extra for that color, now BUILD IT"

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Demo Center

I see your point. Hard for a typical shop to stock expensive bikes. that they aren't actively selling
    I'd be willing to be a Titus Demo Center since i already am for 3 lines (Lynskey, Titus, Redline)

I end up doing build kits on a variety of frames, even ones I don't handle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Questions about the new dealer setup-awesomefest-017-custom-.jpg  

mtbr member
    I see your point. Hard for a typical shop to stock expensive bikes. that they aren't actively selling
    I'd be willing to be a Titus Demo Center since i already am for 3 lines (Lynskey, Titus, Redline)

I end up doing build kits on a variety of frames, even ones I don't handle
    A demo center is a great idea but it still doesn't help if the customer jumps off the bike, says "yea I really like it" then leaves, goes home, then buys his/her bike online. Even with the current plan it looks like you're out Bob.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

Hueston Woods Trail Crew
    That's always a possibility with any bike or shop, but I rarely lose a customer who demo'd a Titus with me.
    It's just easier, safer, and funner to buy it from a cool shop right in the woods.
    And with the owner taking you for an extended tour of the trails he helped design and maintain.

Then after deciding between a Motolite, Racer X (one that had made it to Xterra World's on Maui), X, El Guapo or FTM, actually help build the new bike at the customer's side with choice of parts he can try first on a bike.

My business model-feel free to duplicate.

mtbr member
    Boy, I think I came up with this business model in a previous post. When should I expect my royalty check in the mail?

Haha, can't wait to see how it works.
    Your bike is not the only thing that needs maintenance!
    http://www.yeschiropractic.com