Mountain biking newbie

New question here. Questions about my new (used) Titus Racer X!

Hi,

I am new here (first post!), so please be kind. I'm a new mountain biker (been a roadie for years) and have just purchased a used Titus Racer X (XS size) off eBay. Seller was unsure of model year, so I wondered if any of you experts here could take a look at the photos and tell me what you think the model year might be:

Another question. The frame is aluminum to my knowledge but has a "Titus Titanium" sticker on the head tube, as you can see in the third picture. Why? Is the head tube ti?

Here are the components:
    * FORK: Rock Shox SID superlight
    * DERAILLEUR Front and Rear: XTR
    * HANDLEBARS: Carbon fiber Easton Monkey Lites
    * CRANKSET: Race Face
    * WHEELS: Mavic 217 rims, LX hubs
    * SHOCK Fox air shock
    * SEATPOST Thomson Elite
    * BRAKE CALIPERS & LEVERS: Avid

I am having the LBS (Titus dealer) change out the crankset for XT 170 cranks as it came with 175s, which are too long for my 28.5" inseam. I have also changed out the dorky gel saddle for my Selle San Marco Atola. Anything else you see that I should change when funds allow? Wheelset, tires? Saving weight is always a good thing as I weigh about 105 lbs. dripping wet. All recommendations appreciated!

I'll be using the bike for trail and fire/gravel road riding, nothing too highly technical - at least until my skills improve.

Many thanks!
    Emily

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pre 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc
    Hi,

I am new here (first post!), so please be kind. I'm a new mountain biker (been a roadie for years) and have just purchased a used Titus Racer X (XS size) off eBay. Seller was unsure of model year, so I wondered if any of you experts here could take a look at the photos and tell me what you think the model year might be:

Another question. The frame is aluminum to my knowledge but has a "Titus Titanium" sticker on the head tube, as you can see in the third picture. Why? Is the head tube ti?

Here are the components:
    * FORK: Rock Shox SID superlight
    * DERAILLEUR Front and Rear: XTR
    * HANDLEBARS: Carbon fiber Easton Monkey Lites
    * CRANKSET: Race Face
    * WHEELS: Mavic 217 rims, LX hubs
    * SHOCK Fox air shock
    * SEATPOST Thomson Elite
    * BRAKE CALIPERS & LEVERS: Avid

I am having the LBS (Titus dealer) change out the crankset for XT 170 cranks as it came with 175s, which are too long for my 28.5" inseam. I have also changed out the dorky gel saddle for my Selle San Marco Atola. Anything else you see that I should change when funds allow? Wheelset, tires? Saving weight is always a good thing as I weigh about 105 lbs. dripping wet. All recommendations appreciated!

I'll be using the bike for trail and fire/gravel road riding, nothing too highly technical - at least until my skills improve.

Many thanks!
    Emily
    It's a pre 2001 as that was when they changed the rear linkage slightly to get rid of the propritary rear fox shock. It has a Titus Titanium sticker because that's was the name of the company They started out doing Ti work originally. The website is www.titusti.com.

There's no Ti in the frame to the best of my knowledge.

The front shock looks to be a 1999 or 2000, so that's what I'd guess the bike to be.

I'd look into chanding the front shock personally; shock technology has come a _long_ way since 1999.

Nice bike; I'll bet it's wicked light.

Dave

Mountain biking newbie
    Thanks for the information, Dave! It's really helpful.

The seller told me before I bought the bike that the front shock should be overhauled. I am still waiting on an estimate from the LBS on that and will need to weigh that vs. a new front shock. I'm already putting quite a bit of money into the bike, so if I can get away with not replacing the shock immediately, that would be good. And I really like the blue color - silly, I know.

As for the proprietary shock, what happens when that goes? Hopefully it can be overhauled as I suspect new ones won't be available now, correct? Yikes. Hope this doesn't become an issue.

Thanks again!
    Emily

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

PUSH Industries can rebuild the shock.

Thanks for the information, Dave! It's really helpful.

The seller told me before I bought the bike that the front shock should be overhauled. I am still waiting on an estimate from the LBS on that and will need to weigh that vs. a new front shock. I'm already putting quite a bit of money into the bike, so if I can get away with not replacing the shock immediately, that would be good. And I really like the blue color - silly, I know.

As for the proprietary shock, what happens when that goes? Hopefully it can be overhauled as I suspect new ones won't be available now, correct? Yikes. Hope this doesn't become an issue.

Thanks again!
    Emily
    Good luck w/ the SID rebuild. I know that those SID's are about as light as any front shock got, and at your weight would probably be more than stiff enough.

If the rear shock goes then the guys from PUSH can rebuild it. As an extra bonus they would be able to tune it to your weight and riding style. I don't think it will be an issue.

Dave

Mountain biking newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    f the rear shock goes then the guys from PUSH can rebuild it. As an extra bonus they would be able to tune it to your weight and riding style. I don't think it will be an issue.
    Okay, showing my newbie-ness here. What is PUSH?

Thanks!
    Emily

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Custom shock rebuilding/tuning company

Okay, showing my newbie-ness here. What is PUSH?

Thanks!
    Emily
    http://www.pushindustries.com/

They do rebuilds on Fox shocks as well as custom performance tuning. Lots of people on these boards have used them, and really like the results. Generally shocks are setup for an "average" rider, which probably means someone around 160-170 pounds. Push uses their own hardware to rebuild/tune the shock for each rider. Fox could probably do a rebuild as well if that was all that was needed.

Dave

Mountain biking newbie
    Thanks for the information, Dave. I can tell I am going to learn a lot here. Shocks in general are a whole new world to this former roadie!

Emily

No known cure
    Thanks for the information, Dave. I can tell I am going to learn a lot here. Shocks in general are a whole new world to this former roadie!

Emily
    I have a year 2000 Titus catalog so if you want the geometry numbers, lemme know. The Racer X came stock in six sizes, so if you don't know if yours is a 2xsmall, exsmall or a small, measure the seat tube or top tube and I'll get you the numbers.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Mountain biking newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader
    I have a year 2000 Titus catalog so if you want the geometry numbers, lemme know. The Racer X came stock in six sizes, so if you don't know if yours is a 2xsmall, exsmall or a small, measure the seat tube or top tube and I'll get you the numbers.
    Thanks! That would be great. I believe it's an XS, but it would be nice to have verification of that. Unfortunately, it's at the LBS right now, so I can't measure it, but when I get it back I'll be in touch. I appreciate the offer!

Emily

No known cure

Here's the #'s

Thanks! That would be great. I believe it's an XS, but it would be nice to have verification of that. Unfortunately, it's at the LBS right now, so I can't measure it, but when I get it back I'll be in touch. I appreciate the offer!

Emily
    for a XS

TT 21.2"
    HA 70*
    SA 74*
    Chainstay16.65"
    ST to the center of the TT 13.0"
    ST to the top of the seat clamp 15.0"
    HT length 3.2"
    Wheelbase 40.75"
    BB 12.2"
    Standover 27.25"

You have a very nice ride BTW. Have fun!
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Mountain biking newbie
    Thanks for taking the time to post these! I look forward to measuring...

Emily

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Could be a 1999 or 2000

Emily,
    it's either a 1999 or a 2000 RacerX no changes year to year, in 1998 they used a Fox alps which was way to slow a rebound for light weight riders.
    My wife had a similar frame it was an XXS I would guess your is a XS as the toptube and shock are at more of an angle than the nearly parallel XXS.
    it's a great bike and the bushings vs bearings were very well made, they may need a rebuild but would last a long time if not abused.
    I hope you enjoy it
    Hojo

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    http://www.pushindustries.com/

They do rebuilds on Fox shocks as well as custom performance tuning. Lots of people on these boards have used them, and really like the results. Generally shocks are setup for an "average" rider, which probably means someone around 160-170 pounds. Push uses their own hardware to rebuild/tune the shock for each rider. Fox could probably do a rebuild as well if that was all that was needed.

Dave
    Just to throw my 2 cents in, Push does a good job and often has a quicker turn around time than Fox. When I did my fork and shock, Push was also about the same cost too. So better service and faster. Tough to beat.
    Cool find on the older RX.
    Don't harsh my mello

Mountain biking newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by HoJo
    Emily,
    it's either a 1999 or a 2000 RacerX no changes year to year, in 1998 they used a Fox alps which was way to slow a rebound for light weight riders.
    My wife had a similar frame it was an XXS I would guess your is a XS as the toptube and shock are at more of an angle than the nearly parallel XXS.
    it's a great bike and the bushings vs bearings were very well made, they may need a rebuild but would last a long time if not abused.
    I hope you enjoy it
    Hojo
    Thanks for the information, Hojo! It is always interesting to learn a bike's history. Sure, I'd have loved a new one, but I don't have $5K to throw around, so I was pretty happy to pick this one up for a good price. It's hard to find a bike small enough for me (road or mountain).

Emily